Re: Calling all Numismatists

This week the Royal Mint is issuing 5 million new 50p King Charles Coronation coins. This is unusual for two reasons. The Royal Mint does not normally state how many of a particular coin (mintage) they issue for a few years but they have for this coin. This mintage number is quite low. The mintage figure for the last general circulation (not commemorative or special featured) coin for a 50p was 46million. The new coin is not for me but for those who might like to collect for investment purposes, this may be an idea. Buy the brilliant uncirculated or proof version is my suggestion.

neilcork68 wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 10:57 pm It is getting silly now with all the 'coin releases ' they are releasing.

Every milestone seems to herald a release of a new coin...
Some are worthy but things like Star Wars and Shirley Bassey aren't.IMO...A coin to commemorate a movie and a singer ???
Coronations, great achievements and Historical moments in the countries history is warranted but to celebrate a star or movie being of a certain age.....Not for me...
Could it have anything to do with the decline of postage stamps. As no-one buys stamps anymore could they be commemorating events by using coins instead?

For those who are interested, with the Rugby World Cup starting next month, France have announced the circulation of a new 2Euro coin to commemorate the event. We did a similar thing (£2 coin) in 1999 when the Rugby World Cup was held here.

As regards football coins, apart from the 2012 Olympics where there was a valuable (in numismatic terms) football 50p coin issued, the only other football coin I know of was the 2022 £2 coin celebrating 150 years of the FA Cup.

Check your Euro’s change. Lots of people will be coming back from their European holidays with change in their pockets. Check it. The most common coin in Europe is the €2 coin. Countries produce their own and there are 500 varieties. Recently a €2 Lithuanian coin was struck that was offset and had a misaligned core and sold for £534. Wow, bloody crazy if you ask me but there you go.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: October 12th, 2023, 9:54 pm I got my first King Charles 50p coin in some change in a pub last night. It does look good. EBay seller trying to get £2500 for one 🙄. I’m assuming it’s worth no more than Dave value 🤷‍♂️
Face value only DeePee. The thing is with Royalty coins is that lots of people collect them. They are not rare at all therefore no additional value. Hope no one gets tempted to pay above the odds for any of the new coins, they aren’t worth it.

For those who may not be aware, the Royal Mint are releasing 8 new definitive coins featuring King Charles for the first time. The reverse side features scenes from UK wildlife. The obverse comes with a privy seal mark that ‘apparently’ makes it potentially collectible. However, please be warned - this mark will appear on all coins and that alone makes them unexceptional. Please do not be fooled into paying above the odds for any of these coins. They will be going into general circulation and there will literally be hundreds of millions of them available in your change.

By all means, if it is your thing, buy a set, just make sure it is either brilliant uncirculated or proof. They are the ones that in the future, collectors will look out for. Get it from a reputable source though, not eBay. They will inflate the prices there.

The Royal Mint has recently released figures for the rarest of the QE2 coins in circulation.

I think we all know about the Kew Gardens 50p. They are still out there and with a mintage of 210,000 you can still find them. However, it is not the lowest circulated 50p coin. That accolade goes to the 1992/3 50p coin to celebrate the UK Presidency of the European Council. That had a mintage of 109,000, however you won’t find one now as they were removed when we moved to a smaller version of the 50p we now see. If you have one in your collection, good luck.

For coins in general circulation, look out for the 2019 10p alphabet coins. I don’t see many. The letters W,Y and Z have a mintage of 63,000. Also the letter R from 2019 has a mintage of 64,000. All other 10p coins in the 2019 set have a mintage of 84,000. Good luck.

For those who are interested, Change checker have recently published their scarcity index for UK coins. There is not much movement in the £2 or 50p pieces but there is a new coin to look out for in the 10p alphabet series. The Q for queue 10p coin is now the most sought after 10p coin out there. Well done if you spot one - keep it.

neilcork68 wrote: December 9th, 2023, 11:31 pm Luckily I got a Kew Garden 50p in my change today...
Some poor unsuspecting person spent a coin worth £200 for a 50 p purchase.

That's 3 I have now..

I have 1 COMPLETE SET of 50p coins now and starting on my second
Well done Neil on getting the full set of 50p’s.

A word of warning about the Kew Gardens. Make sure it is the earlier version. Because of its resale value there are lots of fakes out there. I mean lots. There are things to look out for to make sure it is the real deal and some of the fakes are very good but they don’t have all the correct detail. It is mostly in the pagoda. If you are interested I can PM you. It’s too long winded for a reply on here. Hope you have the right one.

pembsexile wrote: December 10th, 2023, 8:43 am
neilcork68 wrote: December 9th, 2023, 11:31 pm Luckily I got a Kew Garden 50p in my change today...
Some poor unsuspecting person spent a coin worth £200 for a 50 p purchase.

That's 3 I have now..

I have 1 COMPLETE SET of 50p coins now and starting on my second
Well done Neil on getting the full set of 50p’s.

A word of warning about the Kew Gardens. Make sure it is the earlier version. Because of its resale value there are lots of fakes out there. I mean lots. There are things to look out for to make sure it is the real deal and some of the fakes are very good but they don’t have all the correct detail. It is mostly in the pagoda. If you are interested I can PM you. It’s too long winded for a reply on here. Hope you have the right one.
Here's a link for you. I hope it's helpful.

If you are having problems with the above link try this one instead.
Last edited by Torquay Exile on December 12th, 2023, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.