Re: Exiles in £350k annual loss

rncfc wrote:
If they're only taking up seats which would otherwise be empty then it's not costing us anything really. Obviously you can't give freebies out forever but if we can get a few hundred of them hooked then it starts to become very worthwhile later down the line.
Don't see it as a freebie. The adults are paying. When the kids grow up they pay and bring their children for free.

I don't say this is the only solution or will necessarily work. But these are the type of things which are surely worth discussing. When I was a child my dad was relatively well off. As a result I got to watch County regularly. The result is that as an adult I spent Lord alone knows how much watching County. If I hadn't been able to watch County as a child at pretty much all home games, would I have spent my money there as an adult? Probably not.

Of course we need to deal with day to day issues but we must put into place long term planning.

How much do we make out of family and children season tickets would it cost the Club[/quote]

If they're only taking up seats which would otherwise be empty then it's not costing us anything really. Obviously you can't give freebies out forever but if we can get a few hundred of them hooked then it starts to become very worthwhile later down the line.[/quote]

Well it would cost because people wouldnt buy a child season ticket or family ticket because they would get a free one

I would pick say five home games give out a 1000 free tickets

UPTHEPORT wrote:How much do we make out of family and children season tickets would it cost the Club
If they're only taking up seats which would otherwise be empty then it's not costing us anything really. Obviously you can't give freebies out forever but if we can get a few hundred of them hooked then it starts to become very worthwhile later down the line.[/quote]

Well it would cost because people wouldnt buy a child season ticket or family ticket because they would get a free one

I would pick say five home games give out a 1000 free tickets[/quote]

But how many child season tickets do we sell? That would be a short term loss. The short term gain would be every adult who bought any form of ticket just to take their son or daughter. Add to this the long term advantage. Football, like anything else can become a habit. For me the important thing is to get kids into the habit of watching football. It's true we'd lose the income of a 15 year old but in my view in ten years time we'd reap the benefit of a twenty five year old paying adult prices to watch County.

Bush wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:
Bush wrote:In other words without the FA cup we were fecked.
Not really, it was June 16 to June 17. I think it means that next year's accounts should show a healthy profit?
Yes it will after the million pound from the cup. God knows what it would be like if we went out first round. 350k loss for a club that doesn’t have any assets is scary. Well run club though. Queue the usuals now justifying 350k loss.
We clearly spent a lot paying off managers and trying to keep ourselves in the League - which was always a short term unsustainable emergency measure, and actually worked. I'd say it was a brave decision and a successful one.

We have been pretty fortunate with the cup run, the challenge now trying to prevent the same thing happening again when we're one of the smaller sides in the division, thus needing to prevent having to throw money we don't have at it.

My main concern is the attitude that we "couldn't afford to get promoted". May as well all pack up and go home in that case. Where would Burton be if they'd decided that? Or Accrington? If we can't afford to sustain a higher league then we either have to get smarter with recruitment or drum up more interest.

SJG99 wrote:
My main concern is the attitude that we "couldn't afford to get promoted". May as well all pack up and go home in that case. Where would Burton be if they'd decided that? Or Accrington? If we can't afford to sustain a higher league then we either have to get smarter with recruitment or drum up more interest.
I'm glad you said that. I agree entirely. Michael Flynn is of course entitled to say what he likes but if I were to be offering advice to him as a critical friend I'd tell him to keep his mouth firmly shut. I can upset half the fans on here, I suspect half are upset with club loyalists. To manage the club it's important to keep all the fans onside. That comment smacks of defeatism.

You don't have to have a particularly long memory to remember where the same attitude got us in the mid-80s.

The club absolutely has to try and break even without Cup windfalls, whether by increasing revenue, return on investment (eg an academy that actually produces first team players we can sell) or reducing costs.

The previous accounts were for an exceptional period, but the costs were still a gamble to resolve a problem that is likely to recur. No wonder the team downed tools if the feedback they were getting was that we didn't even want promotion.

BTW I accept that Accrington is no longer a comparable team...

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
SJG99 wrote:
I'm glad you said that. I agree entirely. Michael Flynn is of course entitled to say what he likes but if I were to be offering advice to him as a critical friend I'd tell him to keep his mouth firmly shut. I can upset half the fans on here, I suspect half are upset with club loyalists. To manage the club it's important to keep all the fans onside. That comment smacks of defeatism.

+1

I'm back after my unexpected sabbatical due to wife's ill health..

if some members of this forum had posted things like that the forum would be in meltdown..MF says it and it seems ok with the usual suspects :roll:
MF likes to alienate fans with his views doesn't he ? Yes he is perfectly in the right to have his own views but the one thing he should try not to do is bite the hand that feeds him. Whether he likes it or not we fans pay his wages and he has had far too many 'digs at us' because our views differ from him. Come the time when all is not well then he will be after the same people to support him....His recent results have been very questionable to say the least and at some clubs he may have been sacked. Yes he built up 'brownie points ' because of what he did last season but that will only help him out so far. Start next season off poorly or sign another load of 'duffs' as he did in the previous window and he may be on 'shaky grounds'. The 'NEWPORT HERO'can only go so far

I wouldn't say lining us up or actively encouraging the need to pay off another manager would be particularly helpful either.

He's said a lot of things I agree with, but this one is a massive issue - and I say that as someone with the interests of the club at heart, rather than someone with a couple of bets on us to get promoted placed 6 months ago.

How on earth is he expecting to motivate anyone to play next season with that nugget of information floating around? It completely undermines the entire purpose of the club's existence.

MF hasn’t had a good week in the press this week. Pretty much saying the cup game saved us is also something the manager should have said publically. But he’s a young manager who is making mistakes in the media it is to be expected. Maybe worth getting Lennie to do a few press interviews in future.

SJG99 wrote:You don't have to have a particularly long memory to remember where the same attitude got us in the mid-80s.

The club absolutely has to try and break even without Cup windfalls, whether by increasing revenue, return on investment (eg an academy that actually produces first team players we can sell) or reducing costs.

The previous accounts were for an exceptional period, but the costs were still a gamble to resolve a problem that is likely to recur. No wonder the team downed tools if the feedback they were getting was that we didn't even want promotion.

BTW I accept that Accrington is no longer a comparable team...
That's the problem when people are misquoted. What Flynn actually said is that if we didn't have the cup run we probably couldn't afford to be promoted. Since we did have the cup run, I doubt very much that the players we ever given the message that we didn't wan't promotion.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
SJG99 wrote:

He didn't say that though. He said that we probably couldn't have afforded to go up without the Cup run.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
SJG99 wrote:
I can imagine the reaction of fans if the press complained that Mike Flynn was refusing to answer their questions.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Cornish Exile wrote:
I can imagine the reaction of fans if the press complained that Mike Flynn was refusing to answer their questions.
It is not part of Flynn's remit to answer questions on club finance. His job is to manage the team. Sorry but your point is simply nonsensical.
"I'd tell him to keep his mouth firmly shut"