Re: Apparently there's a football tournament in Russia

pembsexile wrote:Not an England fan but I do certainly wish them well in this tournament.

Last night Colombia were disgraceful. The coach just has to take responsibility for the behaviour of his players. The coach/gofer/water carrier guy pushing Raheem Sterling at half time was out of order. When the ref chatted to him he indicated that he was pushed. When the ref went away he laughed with his colleague. They got what they deserved and I have no sympathy at all. I hope their flight home is a bumpy one.

Reality check - England are no world beaters. They may beat Sweden but if Croatia don't do them in the semi finals then in the final either France, Brazil or Belgium will. Heartache awaits for England fans. They always insist in bigging themselves up, they never learn. Football's coming home - I don't think so.
Bitter taff.

whoareya wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Not an England fan but I do certainly wish them well in this tournament.

Last night Colombia were disgraceful. The coach just has to take responsibility for the behaviour of his players. The coach/gofer/water carrier guy pushing Raheem Sterling at half time was out of order. When the ref chatted to him he indicated that he was pushed. When the ref went away he laughed with his colleague. They got what they deserved and I have no sympathy at all. I hope their flight home is a bumpy one.

Reality check - England are no world beaters. They may beat Sweden but if Croatia don't do them in the semi finals then in the final either France, Brazil or Belgium will. Heartache awaits for England fans. They always insist in bigging themselves up, they never learn. Football's coming home - I don't think so.
Bitter taff.
So say you. I say it's not bitter, just realistic. I just don't think England are as good as the media and some of their fans think they are. Good luck to them though. If they do win I will offer them my congratulations. It will be well deserved.

What is brilliant to see is all the fans reaction posted on social media. It appears to be a unifying factor for the country. Nice.

On a slightly more light hearted note, my wife reminded me yesterday that we are in London to see a West end show the day(s) after the World Cup final. If central London is inundated with fans celebrating their win and welcoming them home then I may have a different viewpoint. I wouldn't really want to get caught up in that. I doubt that will happen though.

pembsexile wrote:
whoareya wrote:

Bitter taff.
So say you. I say it's not bitter, just realistic. I just don't think England are as good as the media and some of their fans think they are. Good luck to them though. If they do win I will offer them my congratulations. It will be well deserved.

What is brilliant to see is all the fans reaction posted on social media. It appears to be a unifying factor for the country. Nice.

On a slightly more light hearted note, my wife reminded me yesterday that we are in London to see a West end show the day(s) after the World Cup final. If central London is inundated with fans celebrating their win and welcoming them home then I may have a different viewpoint. I wouldn't really want to get caught up in that. I doubt that will happen though.
I'm surprised you want to come to England to go to the theatre!!!! :bounce: :mrgreen:

Being a club football supporter is a rollercoaster of highs and lows over a season. The international finals are a seasons full of those emotions stuffed into about a month. The highs are higher and the lows, well erm you guessed it , are much lower. Although with the international game, the lows do pass quicker...could be that failure is guaranteed for all but one country in the world.

Enjoy the highs England and if you do lift the trophy you will have earned it.

I myself have no animosity towards the English.

However having seen the reaction to beating Columbia in a last 16 match, can you imagine how insufferable our neighbours will be if by any chance they should win the competition?

So for me it's,

COME ON YOU SWEDES. :brilsmurf: :cheers: :brilsmurf: :grin: :brilsmurf: :cheers: :brilsmurf:

You can forget both Wales and Scotland,
And Ireland surrounded by sea,
And you can go your way,
To Denmark or Norway,
Sweden's the country for me.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:I myself have no animosity towards the English.

However having seen the reaction to beating Columbia in a last 16 match, can you imagine how insufferable our neighbours will be if by any chance they should win the competition?

So for me it's,

COME ON YOU SWEDES. :brilsmurf: :cheers: :brilsmurf: :grin: :brilsmurf: :cheers: :brilsmurf:

You can forget both Wales and Scotland,
And Ireland surrounded by sea,
And you can go your way,
To Denmark or Norway,
Sweden's the country for me.
No wonder you p!ssed off to Ireland :mrgreen:
Last edited by mad norm on July 4th, 2018, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not bitter ... at all .... honestly guv'nor ... but it must be nice to potentially get to a World Cup Final by only having to beat Panama, Tunisia, Colombia (on pens), Sweden and Russia/Croatia :wink: :roll: :lol:

Besides, not like I hold a grudge or owt but the group of 9 or 10 English lads wearing Martin Skrtel shirts and bald caps in the Fanzone at Bordeaux (they didn't go to Marseille as they were worried about the Russians) when I went there after the Slovakia match really fecked me off, even though I was still buzzing after watching Wales play and win in a major tournament for the first time in my lifetime :lol:
And it got even sweeter (as they were giving it the big one when England scored) when Russia equalised in the 92nd minute, cue thousands of drinks thrown in the air and them getting the piss ripped out of them :lol: :lol: ..... Oh I miss Euro 2016 :cry: :cry:

Good Morning!

This is an interesting subject to discuss, and almost uniquely a Newport County one. I imagine we have a higher percentage of English fans than other Welsh clubs, given our history.

I am English 100% and support Englands football team. I also support all home nation teams against foreign opponents. A quirk of fate gave me my club football team to support and over the years has led to a strong affection for Wales as a country.
Individual people in both countries cover all extremes of Nationalism, with some so blinded to other viewpoints. Those in the middle ground have a reasonably balanced view on the situation and take it for what it is. ie. sport not civil war!
Social media gives a platform for extremism beyond what one would see in real life, (generally). Put two folks arguing on here together in a different real life situation, such as meeting in a bar on holiday and the dialogue would be totally less hostile.

I understand how many Welsh supporters want England to fail and it doesn’t bother me.

It’s just not the way I see things, and I was enthralled and excited by the Welsh performance in the Euros!

I doubt England will win the World Cup, but I have gotten more pleasure already than in many previous years.

But I am looking forward to Mansfield away more than Sweden in Russia!

Phil in England

Good post Phil - nice to see. It is a very strange thing, football allegiance, particularly in the UK where we have four home nations. I am certainly with you when you say that when one of the four nations play against the rest, you cheer the home nation. That would go for Scotland and Northern Ireland for me as well.

I also agree with you that England will probably not win it. You never know though.

What has given me pleasure is seeing the England fans on social media and national media. Cheering, hooting and roaring, it is good to see. One last thing - all I'll say is thank goodness it is not England doing well at a rugby World Cup, that would be insufferable!! Probably because they would be doing it at Wales or one of the other home nations expense.