Re: Amond / Argyle after Amond / Transfer Speculation

George Street-Bridge wrote:Here's a wild hypothetical for forum users who think we should be be looking to move away from Rodney Parade. And I stress it's entirely that. I'm not in any loop, I'm beyond bored stiff with boardroom infighting and I'm not even guessing what's going on in the background.

If we could raise enough money this window to get started on our own ground by selling our best players, but it would be overwhelmingly likely to see us relegated, would you say go for it?
Why would it see us relegated? The figures I have seen banded about for our players is 200k for day, 500k for Mickey D and 300k for amond. Are you saying we couldn’t replace all three and improve the side by day spending 200k of It when you consider we probably spend 60k on transfer fees for the 3 of them?

I’d argue spending 200k on the side and 800k on improvements at spytty for a possible future movement there would improve the club on and off the pitch.

Although I don’t believe those figures for a second and I also understand it’s not as simple as that when you consider all the other fees and wages when it comes to transfers I still don’t understand why anyone would think these players are not replaceable. I’m a huge fan of all three but if we raised enough money to take care of our future stadium plans and give the manager another 200k to his playing budget then I will drive all 3 to where they need to be.

Bush wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Here's a wild hypothetical for forum users who think we should be be looking to move away from Rodney Parade. And I stress it's entirely that. I'm not in any loop, I'm beyond bored stiff with boardroom infighting and I'm not even guessing what's going on in the background.

If we could raise enough money this window to get started on our own ground by selling our best players, but it would be overwhelmingly likely to see us relegated, would you say go for it?
Why would it see us relegated? The figures I have seen banded about for our players is 200k for day, 500k for Mickey D and 300k for amond. Are you saying we couldn’t replace all three and improve the side by day spending 200k of It when you consider we probably spend 60k on transfer fees for the 3 of them?

I’d argue spending 200k on the side and 800k on improvements at spytty for a possible future movement there would improve the club on and off the pitch.

Although I don’t believe those figures for a second and I also understand it’s not as simple as that when you consider all the other fees and wages when it comes to transfers I still don’t understand why anyone would think these players are not replaceable. I’m a huge fan of all three but if we raised enough money to take care of our future stadium plans and give the manager another 200k to his playing budget then I will drive all 3 to where they need to be.
No-one believes those players are not replaceable, it's that we might not find the right replacements, there's no way you can guarantee we would sign three better players for £200k.

The other way to look at it is do we have more chance replacing then with money in the bank than waiting till next season and possibly having to replace day, butler, Mickey D and amond with no money after they run down their contracts and leave for free? I would question any manager at this level who can’t replace those 3 players with a large chunk of money 200k absolutely is enough. I would have serious reservations of us staying up if all those 4 left for nothing and we had no money to replace them. I’m really surprised Mickey D and amond haven’t already been offered new contracts and if they are refusing to sign I don’t see how we have any other option but to sell.

Day is probably the player that the club since reformation has invested the most money in. Amond after his fee we paid last year and wages plus Mickey D being the best player at the club if we allow all 3 to leave the club for nothing it’s almost criminal for a club out size.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:This is probably going off thread. but even if we had money to improve spytty, isn't it a presumption we would be given permission to do so?
I’m not saying we randomly start making improvements there without the council’s help but I think it’s definitely worth working a deal with the council where maybe the academy play there for next few years and alongside the council we make improvements ready for when we have to leave Rodney parade. Otherwise we can wait till the deal with Rodney parade is up then have the possibility of leaving the city or moving into a spytty not capable of hosting league two football.

Bush wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:This is probably going off thread. but even if we had money to improve spytty, isn't it a presumption we would be given permission to do so?
I’m not saying we randomly start making improvements there without the council’s help but I think it’s definitely worth working a deal with the council where maybe the academy play there for next few years and alongside the council we make improvements ready for when we have to leave Rodney parade. Otherwise we can wait till the deal with Rodney parade is up then have the possibility of leaving the city or moving into a spytty not capable of hosting league two football.
Makes sense to me

Bush wrote: I’m not saying we randomly start making improvements there without the council’s help but I think it’s definitely worth working a deal with the council where maybe the academy play there for next few years and alongside the council we make improvements ready for when we have to leave Rodney parade. Otherwise we can wait till the deal with Rodney parade is up then have the possibility of leaving the city or moving into a spytty not capable of hosting league two football.
Exactly. Something has to be planned for. We've got some half decent players who could walk for free in 12 months time, and a lease on a ground that the landlords don't won't us at, which runs out in 4 years.
(a) We can bury our heads in the sand and worry about these when they happen or (b) we can sacrifice something now in the hope we still have a club and a ground to play at in 4 years time or (c) Or plan XXIV is the hope we draw Man Utd away every season for the next three in the FA Cup round 3

Bush wrote:
daftasfxxx wrote:If you are confident of getting better players for 200k then you must be better than the managers apparently chasing our three
If put together the total transfers of every player we have bought since we got promoted back into the football league it wouldn’t be 200k. Yes I’m confident with 200k we could make some very good signings for the club.

So everyone works out to be a good 'un; they all hit the ground running; settle in: none get homesick: all get on with the manager and not one downs tools; not one will unsettle the dressing room; none are injury prone nor have personal problems that need them to take a leave of absence; all are match fit, none get in trouble outside of football etc - We've had to 'mine' loads and have got through alot of chaff to find these few 'diamonds'.

Fourthousand wrote:
Bush wrote:
daftasfxxx wrote:If you are confident of getting better players for 200k then you must be better than the managers apparently chasing our three
If put together the total transfers of every player we have bought since we got promoted back into the football league it wouldn’t be 200k. Yes I’m confident with 200k we could make some very good signings for the club.

So everyone works out to be a good 'un; they all hit the ground running; settle in: none get homesick: all get on with the manager and not one downs tools; not one will unsettle the dressing room; none are injury prone nor have personal problems that need them to take a leave of absence; all are match fit, none get in trouble outside of football etc - We've had to 'mine' loads and have got through alot of chaff to find these few 'diamonds'.
Every player we have paid money for has been a success pretty much. From amond, day, Washington and even to jolley.

If we replace those players on players left on elite managements role, youngsters on loan who haven’t played senior football or players on the slide in their career then yes more likely than not we won’t find players good enough.

But give a Newport county manager 200k to spend in transfer market and he should easily keep the club in the league.