Re: Robbie Wilmott

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:If the USUAL BORING posters care to read , I have posted numerous times that he is ok as a winger and should only be played there if that is the tactics we are using.
MF seems to shoehorn him into the side and play him at wingback , centre midfield and even a number 10.. That is why I have a go at him because he is crap when he plays there.

that of course doesn't go with your arguments so you can have childish petty snipes.

What many are missing on here in their praise of him and the VERY GOOD CROSS he made that set up the first goal was that his defending was pathetic when he was trying to defend a Leicester attack a few minutes after the goal was scored and if their Japanese player had hit the target the result could have been so different..Strange that ???
I disagree with you on this one. To be critical of a winger for not defending well is in my view akin to blaming a goalkeeper who goes up for a late corner for missing a header,

One question Neil. As we disagree do you think we should just put our differing view points, or do you think we should start insulting one another? :grin:

The man who played the cross in was FUCHS...IMO , Wilmott being the winger should be tracking back when the fullback he is against makes a forward run otherwise our fullback is outnumbered two to one......I believe most managers would hold the same views but what do I know eh....Loyalfoot , Bryant and the likes will be on here soon to tell me because their word is final, Robbie can do no wrong :lol:
Where has this 'Wonder player' Wilmott been in 80% of the games this season ? He turns up for the 'glamour games on tv '
Even if he is played out of position he can try to play for 90 minutes instead of doing one or two good things then drifting through the rest of the games...( I had better take cover from the usual suspects now I have lit the touch paper :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:On his ‘day’ he’s a quality winger at this level, the reason he is at this level is that he doesn’t have too many of those days, that’s nowt to be ashamed of though.
He’s a League 2 winger and when he leaves at the end of the season it’ll be interesting to see if we can get any better..
Exile
What an odd last sentence you finished on.
Is that just your opinion as I see Robbie get the best pat from MF after the game?
Puzzling!

Nothing odd or puzzling about it Harps. It's well known that he doesn't like being so far away from home and that he is also out of contract this summer. It is my opinion, especially with his updated 'come and get me' showreel on his Linkdin that he wants a move closer to home and I can see him leaving.

If he stays, and is played solely on the wing for us, great, but I honestly think he'll go.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:If the USUAL BORING posters care to read , I have posted numerous times that he is ok as a winger and should only be played there if that is the tactics we are using.
MF seems to shoehorn him into the side and play him at wingback , centre midfield and even a number 10.. That is why I have a go at him because he is crap when he plays there.

that of course doesn't go with your arguments so you can have childish petty snipes.

What many are missing on here in their praise of him and the VERY GOOD CROSS he made that set up the first goal was that his defending was pathetic when he was trying to defend a Leicester attack a few minutes after the goal was scored and if their Japanese player had hit the target the result could have been so different..Strange that ???
I disagree with you on this one. To be critical of a winger for not defending well is in my view akin to blaming a goalkeeper who goes up for a late corner for missing a header,

One question Neil. As we disagree do you think we should just put our differing view points, or do you think we should start insulting one another? :grin:
1) I think you’re expected not to be so one-dimensional these days Stan. There’s nothing to stop a winger defending well when his side is up against it. It’d be a bit of a luxury to have him there just to make crosses, wouldn’t it? And that’s the criticism that some people have of Wilmott. My own view is that he still justifies his selection but only when we are strong enough to not need him to do too much defending and when he’s picked to play wide and definitely not midfield.
2). Put the differing viewpoints and start insulting each other - it’s quite entertaining.

I'm sorry but I just do not go along with the view that wingers don't need to tackle or head the ball. They do. Wingers need to track back at times to cover and help the full backs defend. The game has moved on from the 1950's. The modern decent full back gets used as a winger as well. Shouldn't the wingers be expected to do something else as well? It's not Stanley Matthews v Alf Ramsey any more.

Willmott did a lot of defending against Leicester. Yes he made a few mistakes like when he misjudged the ball to Fuchs which should have led to a goal, but he wasn't the only one. Even Demetriou and Franks made mistakes. However like the rest of the team he tried hard and there was there to block shots and clear the ball.

pembsexile wrote:I'm sorry but I just do not go along with the view that wingers don't need to tackle or head the ball. They do. Wingers need to track back at times to cover and help the full backs defend. The game has moved on from the 1950's. The modern decent full back gets used as a winger as well. Shouldn't the wingers be expected to do something else as well? It's not Stanley Matthews v Alf Ramsey any more.
Of course they do otherwise you are playing with 10 men hoping the passenger can deliver one or two game changing moments. Willmott fans don’t see this just swoon over the odd good cross he makes, if we are to go up we need 11 players playing for 90 minutes.

County ranger wrote:
pembsexile wrote:I'm sorry but I just do not go along with the view that wingers don't need to tackle or head the ball. They do. Wingers need to track back at times to cover and help the full backs defend. The game has moved on from the 1950's. The modern decent full back gets used as a winger as well. Shouldn't the wingers be expected to do something else as well? It's not Stanley Matthews v Alf Ramsey any more.
Of course they do otherwise you are playing with 10 men hoping the passenger can deliver one or two game changing moments. Willmott fans don’t see this just swoon over the odd good cross he makes, if we are to go up we need 11 players playing for 90 minutes.
Much like Wilmott haters overlook any good that he does. I remember he tracked back and put good tackles in a few times - no doubt you missed it. Still, at least you'll be able to celebrate and throw a party if he goes in the summer.

dai1960 wrote:Wilmot is a big game player but I for one would love to see him and butler have a wing each and I think if we have a full squad we can beat midlesborough
Definitely. If we can beat Leicester's second string, Middlesbrough's second string should also be an equal game.

andyc wrote:Mccoulsky winner against Leeds
Amond goal against spurs
Matt goal against Leicester

3 of the most memorable and biggest cup goals in our history and all have 1 thing in common.

All came from Robbie Wilmott crosses.

When played out wide he is a very very good player.
Apologies andy c for pinching your post sir

Memo to Ranger

If Robbie had not provided the superb cross for McCoulsky we would of lost the replay.

We would not have played Spurs and therefore would have no windfall.
Again Robbie would of not made the coss as the game would not have existed.

Likewise if Robbies superb cross Sunday never happened we would of lost the replay and game over.

If you had your way we would now be up the river without a paddle.

At the best in a dire financial situation.

For those 3 crosses the lad in my eyes is a County legend like Jolly & O Brien.

Get off his back let him continue playing superbly from out wide right and guess what we might start climbing the table again..

Loyalfoot wrote:I'm not wasting any energy on an idiot that pops on to stir crap up. Sad Man

If that is aimed at me then yourself and other posters on here are the ones who brought my name up in petty snipes earlier in the thread . I am just putting my point across just as you other 'SAD ' posters...Your words not mine.

Dont worry Im done with this Forum and the childish pathetic snipes that some post just because they disagree with their views . Men reply with reasonable arguments / views, children name call...I will leave it to you to decide which category you fall into :roll:
My only posts will be in the predictions subjects as its becoming like a school playground on here and I left that 30 odd years ago