Re: Bakinson

~Personally, I think we played the part in Bakinson's downfall.
He was a real talented player when he arrived (and still is imho) and since we turned to dumbed down more direct football those 15 games ago (which got us to the final) then his place has been shifted out. He's a player who needs players making good runs in front of him. he needs the confidence to try things, and at our level, this was not given. There's no accident that of all our players, the one most of our fans slate, is the one player who has signed a deal at the highest level. Day will go to league one, ditto butler and mickey, but the rest are league two players. Bakinson can and should be more.

The NCFC Hippy wrote:~Personally, I think we played the part in Bakinson's downfall.
He was a real talented player when he arrived (and still is imho) and since we turned to dumbed down more direct football those 15 games ago (which got us to the final) then his place has been shifted out. He's a player who needs players making good runs in front of him. he needs the confidence to try things, and at our level, this was not given. There's no accident that of all our players, the one most of our fans slate, is the one player who has signed a deal at the highest level.
So in other words a luxury player.
Would probably be world class in a world class side, but sadly this is L2 and luxury players don't fit into this league.
We could have Messi in the starting 11 but would be bloody futile unless the rest were on his wave length

I think the problem with Bakinson was that he had to play too much football earlier in the season because of midfield injuries. When his game started to suffer instead of giving him a rest he had to play on and struggled. Football is very much a "confidence" game - if you're confident you'll play imaginatively and try things but lose your confidence and you start playing within yourself and become conservative in your play. For me that sums up Bakinson's season.

Luxury player ? Tbh that description is so outdated - that’s old school thinking and luckily football has changed, even at our level - no , we finished seventh, bakinson can play - rather than lose players who can play you add more - and that way you go higher up the leagues - and I agree with wattsville he definitely lost confidence as all the sloggers were moaning at him to not try anything and instead lump it down the channels and get it forward -

The NCFC Hippy wrote:~Personally, I think we played the part in Bakinson's downfall.
He was a real talented player when he arrived (and still is imho) and since we turned to dumbed down more direct football those 15 games ago (which got us to the final) then his place has been shifted out. He's a player who needs players making good runs in front of him. he needs the confidence to try things, and at our level, this was not given. There's no accident that of all our players, the one most of our fans slate, is the one player who has signed a deal at the highest level. Day will go to league one, ditto butler and mickey, but the rest are league two players. Bakinson can and should be more.

I wholeheartedly agree with this person as I think Bakinson IS a good footballer , His passing skill needs people making good runs to run onto his through balls, I haven't seen much of the thoughtful passing that people like Robbie Wilmott are so good at going forward Lets have more intelligent football and less of the big hoof it and hope style. Sitting in my seat in the Bizley on half way , every ball is high up down the left hand side, no variation !!
Come on the Port, you know it makes sence !! Bob Bassett

I think he is a talent player and a new year three deal at Bristol City suggests they think so to.

He just didn't suit League Two and our direct style of play. We bypass the midfield most of the time so it's easy for our midfield players to look a bit lost. He didn't really have the drive to get stuck in so just wandered about aimlessly at times. In a passing team with lots of possession I think he would look great.

County-at-the-races wrote:
He was a real talented player when he arrived (and still is imho) and since we turned to dumbed down more direct football those 15 games ago (which got us to the final) then his place has been shifted out. He's a player who needs players making good runs in front of him. he needs the confidence to try things, and at our level, this was not given. There's no accident that of all our players, the one most of our fans slate, is the one player who has signed a deal at the highest level.
Would probably be world class in a world class side, but sadly this is L2 and luxury players don't fit into this league.
We could have Messi in the starting 11 but would be bloody futile unless the rest were on his wave length
If we had Messi in the side we'd walk away with League 2. Without the correct attitude or character talent alone is not enough. The greatest player of all time was an overweight passenger failing at ever increasing lower levels at 27.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
County-at-the-races wrote:
If we had Messi in the side we'd walk away with League 2. Without the correct attitude or character talent alone is not enough. The greatest player of all time was an overweight passenger failing at ever increasing lower levels at 27.
Stan, that's a bit harsh on Tommy Tynan.

IMB wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: If we had Messi in the side we'd walk away with League 2. Without the correct attitude or character talent alone is not enough. The greatest player of all time was an overweight passenger failing at ever increasing lower levels at 27.
Stan, that's a bit harsh on Tommy Tynan.
Tommy Tynan only lacked pace. His ability to hold a ball and turn, with the possible exception of Kenny Dalglish, was unsurpassed by anyone in English football in the early '80's.

I’m happy to see BC waste their money on him then and i dont care how many posts i see about his potential and early promise... if you cant even try then he should have been long gone. Happy to have Semenyo back any day though. Now there’s a player.

rncfc wrote:The greatest player of all time is still playing. Someone like Pele, who was scoring hat-tricks against plumbers and mechanics comes nowhere near someone like Messi or Ronaldo (either of them).
You can only compare players against the times they play in. Improvements in fitness, diet and coaching convince me that today's Newport County would probably defeat the England team which win the 1966 World Cup. That does not mean They are a better team. I know more about how the universe works than did Isaac Newton. That does not mean that I am a great scientist or that he was not.

In my view the greatest natural footballer of all time, a totally wasted talent, a drunken boor, was George Best.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
rncfc wrote:The greatest player of all time is still playing. Someone like Pele, who was scoring hat-tricks against plumbers and mechanics comes nowhere near someone like Messi or Ronaldo (either of them).
You can only compare players against the times they play in. Improvements in fitness, diet and coaching convince me that today's Newport County would probably defeat the England team which win the 1966 World Cup. That does not mean They are a better team. I know more about how the universe works than did Isaac Newton. That does not mean that I am a great scientist or that he was not.

In my view the greatest natural footballer of all time, a totally wasted talent, a drunken boor, was George Best.
For me, it was Mark Draycott. What a talent that guy was.