Re: Exiles Grandstand Notts County

neilcork68 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:My first live game of the season. Came over Sunday and took the opportunity.

First thoughts. When I opened the programme I thought the photo of their chairman was a caricature of Michael Flynn. Fantastic stadium and pitch in great nick.

As for the game we were simply far better than Notts County for the first hour. Last 30 minutes it looked as if we decided to get some defending practice in. But it always seemed to me we had a bit to spare.

Stand out performances from many. Podge glides beautifully, Poole is classy, Wilmott I thought impressive. In fairness Day made one superb save and took out a few crosses, which was pleasing. But just, for me, Matt was my man of the match.

I thought you have been accused of being an ex fan ???
he declared himself an ex fan
once an ex fan always an ex fan
great win from the boys last night
onwards and upwards for the rest of the season

xisle wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:My first live game of the season. Came over Sunday and took the opportunity.

First thoughts. When I opened the programme I thought the photo of their chairman was a caricature of Michael Flynn. Fantastic stadium and pitch in great nick.

As for the game we were simply far better than Notts County for the first hour. Last 30 minutes it looked as if we decided to get some defending practice in. But it always seemed to me we had a bit to spare.

Stand out performances from many. Podge glides beautifully, Poole is classy, Wilmott I thought impressive. In fairness Day made one superb save and took out a few crosses, which was pleasing. But just, for me, Matt was my man of the match.

I thought you have been accused of being an ex fan ???
he declared himself an ex fan
once an ex fan always an ex fan
great win from the boys last night
onwards and upwards for the rest of the season
I'll be over for the game at Cambridge. See you there, looking forward to it.

Edit.

Xisle is right. Fan being an abbreviation of fanatic. For me fanatics are those who believe that the club should be above criticism. That asking questions is heresy. That we alone play fair and are only ever beaten by cheats and/or referees who are incompetent or have an anti Welsh bias.

As a child I was a fanatic. But when I became a man I put away childish notions. As a supporter I am still willing to travel from Ireland two or three times a season but I no longer blame everyone else for our shortcomings. A committed non fanatical supporter.

Xisle come over and say hello at Cambridge. I really mean it.
Last edited by Stan A. Einstein on February 20th, 2019, 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
County Valleyboy wrote:Wesley gave interview after game and was very complimentary about us fair play
For an hour we were superb. I think that the decision was made to shut up shop. Why take the risk?
Nothing wrong with shutting up shop, especially when it has the desired effect..... preventing the opponents from scoring. In fact, even with the shop firmly shut we could have scored again.

excessbee wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
County Valleyboy wrote:Wesley gave interview after game and was very complimentary about us fair play
For an hour we were superb. I think that the decision was made to shut up shop. Why take the risk?
Nothing wrong with shutting up shop, especially when it has the desired effect..... preventing the opponents from scoring. In fact, even with the shop firmly shut we could have scored again.
I agree. The emphasis has to be on the home team to entertain. A three goal cushion it's fair enough to think that being purely defensive for the last half hour makes sense.

excessbee wrote:It's a very different issue when there are ten games left and half a dozen teams trying to avoid relegation. They did it when there were (less than) ten minutes left and our name was bottom of the pile. What goes around come around.
Do you really think that a section of County fans would have done the same? Or a section of any fans?

When the chant goes up of 'You're getting sacked in the morning' does anybody stop to think about the family of the hapless manager? Are we so pure that we would never call a referee anything under the sun because that ref might have a family?

Football is war without death. Get used to it.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
I'll be over for the game at Cambridge. See you there, looking forward to it.

Edit.

Xisle is right. Fan being an abbreviation of fanatic. For me fanatics are those who believe that the club should be above criticism. That asking questions is heresy. That we alone play fair and are only ever beaten by cheats and/or referees who are incompetent or have an anti Welsh bias.

As a child I was a fanatic. But when I became a man I put away childish notions. As a supporter I am still willing to travel from Ireland two or three times a season but I no longer blame everyone else for our shortcomings. A committed non fanatical supporter.

Xisle come over and say hello at Cambridge. I really mean it.
tying yourself in knots trying to defend the indefensible
you turned your back on your football club and chose a new one spitting your dummy out in a fit of peak shame on you
a very wise man once told me that a good way to judge a persons character is to ask yourself if you would want them in the trenches with you fighting a war
that's a no from me