Re: Future of RP

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:Just goes to show that Regional Rugby’s future is terminal. Unfortunately thanks to the WRU’s flawed regional idea, the once vibrant Club rugby scene has predeceased it.
It maybe easy to misunderstand that the WRU's primary and overiding purpose is the success of the professional national side, and despite the initial resistance and inertia to the creation of a small number of professional teams in Wales, to that end they have been very successful. Only England, France and Japan have the player base and fnancial resources to have professional leagues. Two leagues in Englands and France's case. The worlds most sucessful teams New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa currently have 5, 4 and 6 professional regions, and even they are struggling financially.
The once vibrant Welsh club scene's death knell was sounded when the game went professional as indeed it was in other countries of the world. The clock cannot be turned back.
None of this however, helps to throw any light on the future of RP, as the Dragons continue to lag behind the other regions results wise, and indeed Stadia wise. I'm sure if the WRU believe the future of the professional game and the national team is best suited by disbanding the Dragons, whether in it's current form or altogether then they will do so; as indeed they did with the Celtic Warriors. I don't have any insider knowledge, but from what it's worth in my opinion I don't think final decisions have yet been made
by the WRU with regards RP until they further explore what a North Wales region can offer the professional game, short and long term.

Papski wrote:My take on a 'Development Region' is that they are basically a feeder club and they get less money from the WRU than the 'Super Regions'. Could be more to it than that.
Unless I'm told any different that's how i see it also. Connaught were described as such initially, and subsequently improved over many years and as far as I'm aware their funding gradually increased in line with their relative success. Different scenario with them though as little rugby was played in the region upon initial set up. Similar to Gog Land?

Sounds similar indeed. I'd say they should of went there from the beginning but i'd be in the minority.

It could work for the Dragons it's just whether their faithful rather that, rather than folding, in the short-medium term. If the original RP plan still happens and the team over achieves, whilst having their best players cherry picked away from them, they may become a 'Super Region' again.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Papski wrote:My take on a 'Development Region' is that they are basically a feeder club and they get less money from the WRU than the 'Super Regions'. Could be more to it than that.
Unless I'm told any different that's how i see it also. Connaught were described as such initially, and subsequently improved over many years and as far as I'm aware their funding gradually increased in line with their relative success. Different scenario with them though as little rugby was played in the region upon initial set up. Similar to Gog Land?
The WRU are also moving away from dual contacts, so the way each Region's funding is topped up by the WRU will change as well. This is probably why the Ospreys, who provide most Welsh internationals, were the most vulnerable due to the change. Wether that will be the same next year is anyone's guess.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
The WRU are also moving away from dual contacts, so the way each Region's funding is topped up by the WRU will change as well. This is probably why the Ospreys, who provide most Welsh internationals, were the most vulnerable due to the change. Wether that will be the same next year is anyone's guess.

Papski wrote:Sounds similar indeed. I'd say they should of went there from the beginning but i'd be in the minority.

It could work for the Dragons it's just whether their faithful rather that, rather than folding, in the short-medium term. If the original RP plan still happens and the team over achieves, whilst having their best players cherry picked away from them, they may become a 'Super Region' again.
Again I agree that you could be correct. Just hope the decision is made sooner rather than late for all concerned instead of the last minute, which they have a history of

The Dragons are in discussions with the Welsh Rugby Union about taking majority control of the region into private ownership led by chairman David Buttress who insists their future is completely secure - Robin D on Twitter.

There's gold to be made in RP, It's just in what capacity will it be extracted. And will we be in a position to have a slice of it.

I don’t understand what a successful businessman can see in the attraction of taking the Dragons into private ownership. It is a massively loss making franchise with no local identity, and consequently represents a flawed regional model. However some cheap real estate may sweeten the pill!
It seems that with the other three regions also haemorrhaging money, it will surely only be a matter of time before gravity takes over or radical surgery is applied by the WRU.

I notice that some contributors are assuming that private ownership of the Dragons will include ownership of Rodney Parade. The Dragons do not own RP, in fact, like us, they don't own anything. I think it unlikely that the WRU would relinquish ownership of RP without considerable reward.Ownership of the Dragons, who are essentially worthless, is another matter.