Re: Grandstand - Mansfield play-off 1st leg at Rodney Parade

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Flitcroft, horrible man - yes. His conduct last night in the ear of the fourth official, constantly on the pitch whining, winding up our incoming subs, all the behaviour of Steve Evans. The conduct of his team on the pitch (not the defence or GK who were collectively excellent) was equally bad, repeatedly trying to con the ref.

Flitcroft is a failing manager (ask any Swinetown fan if you want a balanced view) and with the resources he's had this season, ending up in the play-offs lottery should be classed as another failure.
I agree that this is a good summary of Manfields situation, whilst accepting that all teams, including ourselves will try to unfairly influence the ref, and try to gain what advantage they can from his decisions; I would class Mansfield along with Lincoln as the worst culprits I have seen this season. However if they do progress to the play off final , I do hope they get promoted as I would genuinely prefer not to see them at Rodney parade next season.

Ugo. wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Just watched the highlights, admit I got a few things wrong. OB should have been sent off, easily a DOGSO offence and he was the last man. Only got a yellow because it was so early in the game I feel.
Robbie's goal was a yard offside.
Our penalty was the correct decision also, Azeez got a touch and Logan took him out.

Sound all-round decisions by the officials, Flitcroft needs to wind his neck in, horrible man.

I've seen and disagree with both of your assessments, OB should not have been sent off as Walker didn't have control of the ball, for the penalty the goalie got a touch on the ball and therefore no pen.
OB physically held and man-handled their player to prevent him getting to the ball. Clear foul and obvious goal-scoring opportunity and as he was the last defender I wouldn't have argued with a red card. As a ref myself I have dismissed players for similar.

From the Sky highlights, my view is Azeez got the last touch (admittedly taking the ball away from goal) and Logan clattered into him unable to get out of the way, but because it appeared he tried to get the ball the ref generously didn't book him.

Football is always about opinions though and it's good we can debate this. The referee assessor was surprisingly sat just behind Flitcroft tonight (I did wonder if that was deliberate) rather than higher up in the stand, he would have seen how Flitcroft behaved.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
Ugo. wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Just watched the highlights, admit I got a few things wrong. OB should have been sent off, easily a DOGSO offence and he was the last man. Only got a yellow because it was so early in the game I feel.
Robbie's goal was a yard offside.
Our penalty was the correct decision also, Azeez got a touch and Logan took him out.

Sound all-round decisions by the officials, Flitcroft needs to wind his neck in, horrible man.

I've seen and disagree with both of your assessments, OB should not have been sent off as Walker didn't have control of the ball, for the penalty the goalie got a touch on the ball and therefore no pen.
OB physically held and man-handled their player to prevent him getting to the ball. Clear foul and obvious goal-scoring opportunity and as he was the last defender I wouldn't have argued with a red card. As a ref myself I have dismissed players for similar.

From the Sky highlights, my view is Azeez got the last touch (admittedly taking the ball away from goal) and Logan clattered into him unable to get out of the way, but because it appeared he tried to get the ball the ref generously didn't book him.

Football is always about opinions though and it's good we can debate this. The referee assessor was surprisingly sat just behind Flitcroft tonight (I did wonder if that was deliberate) rather than higher up in the stand, he would have seen how Flitcroft behaved.
How was it an obvious goal scoring opportunity when it was debatable at best that Walker would have got to the ball first ? Day would have got the ball in my view.
How can it be a pen when keeper played the ball ? By that rationale when a tackle is made anywhere on the pitch no contact can be made between players. If contact is made then it’s a free kick !
Opinions opinions opinions !

I've seen and disagree with both of your assessments, OB should not have been sent off as Walker didn't have control of the ball, for the penalty the goalie got a touch on the ball and therefore no pen.[/quote]

Football is always about opinions though and it's good we can debate this. The referee assessor was surprisingly sat just behind Flitcroft tonight (I did wonder if that was deliberate) rather than higher up in the stand, he would have seen how Flitcroft behaved.[/quote]
How was it an obvious goal scoring opportunity when it was debatable at best that Walker would have got to the ball first ? Day would have got the ball in my view.
How can it be a pen when keeper played the ball ? By that rationale when a tackle is made anywhere on the pitch no contact can be made between players. If contact is made then it’s a free kick !
Opinions opinions opinions ![/quote]

Walker has obviously had a great season and would've been odds on to beat OB for pace had he not been held back, and Joe to come out and prevent a goal??? Really? He doesn't often like to venture out if his 6 yard box as we saw second half when he was rounded and Micky cleared off the line. All things considered, that was a goal-scoring opportunity (key word that - not a dead cert but an obvious chance) and a red would have followed if the game was of less importance or the offence was later than it was.

RE our penalty, I didn't see Logan touch the ball, only Azeez.

Corpaboy wrote:Why oh why did we take Podge off straight after we equalised ? And why did we replace him with Crofts ???

If anything , McKirdy could've given us a bit of pace in the last 10 minutes or so , and would've provided more of a threat to push on and try and snatch a win at the end ?

Hope Podge hasn't picked up a knock ?
Yes he got clattered early on I think MF was right to be careful

[quote="Stan A. Einstein"][
If the referee was of the view that the Mansfield forward was likely to gain control of the ball it was a red. You make the mistake of believing that everyone sees it as you do. I my view I think he would have done. You can take the opposite view. Neither of us are wrong.In my view it was a red.

[quote="Stan A. Einstein"]
Fortunately for us the referee will have been taught that likely is not good enough. To send a player off the referee, without the advantage of replays, has to be absolutely certain, as with awarding a goal, it is likely that it crossed the line is insufficient.

I think we can analyse his performance until the cows come home, but the truth is probably a lot simpler, and something like this;

The ref should have sent O'Brien off, bottled it, and then proceeded to give Mansfield everything for the next half hour or so to try and ease his guilt at being a bottler. The crowd then got on his back and he started thinking that maybe it had gone too far. We'd played OK so he thought he'd give us a penalty to absolve himself to some degree.

The only official out there who had any bottle whatsoever was the linesman on the Hazell side who (rather annoyingly) got pretty much everything spot on, in spite of the crowd really getting at him.

Just about a fair result for me. Could easily have been down to 10 men early on. We didn't start well at all. On the flip side Joe didn't have much to do other than the goal and the one-on-one in the second half which Mickey cleared. We had 2 excellent chances for Podge and Matt which could easily have gone in so could have scored 3 but overall there wasn't much between the teams. What does concern me is the total lack of width on the left. We have Robbie on the right but there is nothing on the left so Butler is totally isolated when we go forward and he has no option other than a long ball. I agree we looked much better with Labadie on and I think away from home he has to start. I think we need the first goal on sunday!

Collars wrote:Just about a fair result for me. Could easily have been down to 10 men early on. We didn't start well at all. On the flip side Joe didn't have much to do other than the goal and the one-on-one in the second half which Mickey cleared. We had 2 excellent chances for Podge and Matt which could easily have gone in so could have scored 3 but overall there wasn't much between the teams. What does concern me is the total lack of width on the left. We have Robbie on the right but there is nothing on the left so Butler is totally isolated when we go forward and he has no option other than a long ball. I agree we looked much better with Labadie on and I think away from home he has to start. I think we need the first goal on sunday!
Butler comes unstuck when he lines up against a pacey right back, he then tries to come back in on his right foot and usually fluffs it. Therefore we have no threat down that side. Robbie when on form can turn the left back inside out regardless of pace.

On the whole a great occasion last night & probably a fair (&positive) result in the end.

Sad to say that our resurgence in the 2nd half was spoiled a bit for me by the behaviour of a tiny minority of our fans in the Hazell Terrace. After the linesman ruled out the goal a coin was thrown (luckily didnt make contact), plus a lad ran up to the barrier and spat two clear gobfuls of spit towards the linesman. Really embarassing , not what we're about and a shame to see as it was a brilliant atmosphere otherwise.

Onwards & upwards to Sunday.

redstarparker_port wrote:On the whole a great occasion last night & probably a fair (&positive) result in the end.

Sad to say that our resurgence in the 2nd half was spoiled a bit for me by the behaviour of a tiny minority of our fans in the Hazell Terrace. After the linesman ruled out the goal a coin was thrown (luckily didnt make contact), plus a lad ran up to the barrier and spat two clear gobfuls of spit towards the linesman. Really embarassing , not what we're about and a shame to see as it was a brilliant atmosphere otherwise.

Onwards & upwards to Sunday.
If that's true its disgusting and I hope you reported it straight away

The lineo got every call correct but even if he didn't there's no need of that

Nineteen Eighty wrote:Interesting article on BBC website
"Using the Euro Club Index - a ranking of all European teams - to estimate the chances of progress in this year's play-offs, West Brom, Charlton and Newport are the most likely winners. However, all three play-off competitions are tightly matched."
League Two play-off prospects
Club To reach final To win promotion
Newport 57.9% 32.3%
Tranmere 52.8% 24.3%
Mansfield 42.1% 22.4%
Forest Green 47.2% 21.0%

I'd take that.
Tbf a win over Leicester in the Cup gives us some ranking points the others haven't got.