Re: New Stadium

Kairdiff Exile wrote:My preferred option is for us to do whatever is required to remain at RP. We have doubled our crowds since we’ve been there, consistently shown we can host big games, and built a stronger following and stronger links with the city as a whole.

Saying “it’s only a few miles” ignores the needs of the non-hardcore fans whose semi-regular attendance we need if we are to remain sustainable. People with young kids, older fans with mobility issues, people who will just attend matches when it’s a short stroll across the river from the city centre whilst their family are shopping or at the cinema - none of these groups will attend as many games at Spytty.

RP is the only game in town unless we are happy to sink down a few leagues. If people are prepared to countenance that, it’s fine. If not, we need to very quickly make a deal with the WRU.
The issue with this is that it assumes that there is a deal to be made, which is far from certain. The WRU have to be willing to deal, and at a price that makes it viable for the club in the long term. If either of these conditions are not met, then RP ceases to be the answer.

Ultimately all any of this is is speculation. The club don't have the funds for a new stadium of their own, any long-term guarantee at RP, and any other existing alternative besides Spytty Park, which, we all acknowledge, would be sub-optimal at best. The board can't magic up money or better ground options - we need to face up to the fact that the outcome of this may be far from ideal, and still be the best available.

Amberexile wrote:That's all fine but if the WRU refuse to renew our deal and Spytty is not the answer, what is?
..and there’s the rub. I see no viable alternative locally except a groundshare with Cardiff City - if they’d have us. Not that their stadium is as well located as RP, at least it’s a football stadium. I still have the optimism that something will work out between RP , the council and us even though I have no evidence for that.
To use Spytty a large amount of cash needs to be spent and we just don’t have it, not to mention the athletics and transport problems. Is there a long term binding contract as regards the athletics? I fail to see why a handful of people should block the development , it must be cheaper to move them - after all I don’t think the track is any good for records etc. as it’s usually a bit of a wind tunnel. Transport links would have to be sorted, perhaps some of Drakeford’s money could be spent on a dedicated regular service to the area, there’s been talk of enhancing local bus services but it’ll probably take 30 years of consultation to do anything.
We need to make RP work imho and should direct our efforts in that direction.

lowandhard wrote:
Amberexile wrote:That's all fine but if the WRU refuse to renew our deal and Spytty is not the answer, what is?
..and there’s the rub. I see no viable alternative locally except a groundshare with Cardiff City - if they’d have us. Not that their stadium is as well located as RP, at least it’s a football stadium. I still have the optimism that something will work out between RP , the council and us even though I have no evidence for that.
To use Spytty a large amount of cash needs to be spent and we just don’t have it, not to mention the athletics and transport problems. Is there a long term binding contract as regards the athletics? I fail to see why a handful of people should block the development , it must be cheaper to move them - after all I don’t think the track is any good for records etc. as it’s usually a bit of a wind tunnel. Transport links would have to be sorted, perhaps some of Drakeford’s money could be spent on a dedicated regular service to the area, there’s been talk of enhancing local bus services but it’ll probably take 30 years of consultation to do anything.
You think ground sharing with Cardiff City is a better option than Spytty?

You reckon more people will go to Cardiff on a wet Tuesday night in December than would go to Spytty?

You think the logistics of transport to their stadium is better thab to Spytty?

Have you ever walked to their stadium, to and from the station?

You want to kill the club faster than a Novochok sandwich?

Has any consideration been given to the cost of renting a stadium as big as Cardiff's for 25+ games a season, then taking into account policing stewarding, gate staff etc etc all of which we would have to pay for, and all this when we only 15/20% fill the place at best, as I don't think Cardiff would want to rent us a 1/4 of the stadium.

Elmo wrote:found this https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ef ... 4---clubs/
Subject to any dispensations granted by the Board, a Club shall either own its ground or have a legally enforceable agreement with its ground’s owner for its use by the Club, expiring not earlier than the end of the current Season.
Everything depends on the WRU it seems.
An excerpt from the above link and others I've posted seem to indicate that 'ground-sharing' outside of the city/locality bearing the teams name is a no-no. We might as well become Cardiff Utd if we go there - see Coventry City situation
Quote -
Ground sharing will only be approved at the discretion of the Board.
Except in cases where a Club seeks consent to enter into a ground-sharing agreement with another Club, it shall be a condition of any such consent that the ground-sharing agreement shall contain provision to ensure that:
the playing of any of the Club’s first team matches will always take precedence over the activities of the other party to the agreement; and
the Club shall have the ability to postpone other activities scheduled to take place on the pitch in the immediately preceding 48 hour period where in the opinion of the Club, acting reasonably, there is a risk that such activity may result in the subsequent postponement or abandonment of a match to be played under the auspices of The League.
Each Club shall register its ground with The League and no Club shall remove to another ground (whether on a temporary or a permanent basis) without first obtaining the written consent of the Board, such consent not to be unreasonably withheld and the Board shall be entitled, if granting consent, to impose such conditions as it deems appropriate in all the circumstances.
In considering whether to give any consent to a permanent relocation, the Board shall have regard to all the circumstances of the case (including, but not limited to the factors set out in this Regulation 13.7) and shall not grant consent unless it is reasonably satisfied that such consent:
would be consistent with the objects of The League as set out in the Memorandum of Association;
would be appropriate having in mind the relationship (if any) between the locality with which by its name or otherwise the applicant Club is traditionally associated and that in which such Club proposes to establish its ground;
would not to any material extent adversely affect such Club’s Officials, players, supporters, shareholders, sponsors and others having an interest in its activities;
would not have a material adverse effect on visiting Clubs;
would not to any material extent adversely affect Clubs having their registered grounds in the immediate vicinity of the proposed location; and
would enhance the reputation of The League and promote the game of association football generally.
The Club must disclose, as soon as practicable, plans and details of any proposed future move to a new stadium.
Subject to any dispensations granted by the Board, a Club shall either own its ground or have a legally enforceable agreement with its ground’s owner for its use by the Club, expiring not earlier than the end of the current Season.

lowandhard wrote:
I went to the Watford and Everton games at Cardiff.It is a 30 minute walk from the station,and that is brisk walking.The view is good where ever you sit but,you are further away from the pitch than at Spytty in most seats.If you are in the Ninian,there are about 100 steps to climb to reach your seat at the top.I consider myself pretty fit for my age but,not all could face that climb or an hours walk both ways.Then you have an hour to wait for the last train in midweek.Finally,not all our fans are as open minded as me,and wouldn't be seen dead on that ground.To sum up,Cardiff ground share is a certain no.Oh yes,they would probably charge as much as the WRU anyway.

Sorry, but no way on planet earth should we entertain sharing with Cardiff. Far too big, far too expensive and, more importantly, it's too far away for the majority of our fans.

If we have to share anywhere outside of Newport again we're done for.

To all those advocating a ground share with Cardiff or Forest Green or Hereford please read this link which Elmo posted on Page 4 of this thread.

https://www.efl.com/news/2019/june/efl- ... entry-city

If we don't have RP it would seem from this EFL statement that any long term ground share outside the city will be out of the question.

I don't want to leave RP but we must have a worked up alternative. For me, in the absence of RP, insufficient time or funds to build a new stadium or the possibility of ground sharing outside the city, a thorough redevelopment of Spytty is our only backstop position.

allontheamber wrote:To all those advocating a ground share with Cardiff or Forest Green or Hereford please read this link which Elmo posted on Page 4 of this thread.

https://www.efl.com/news/2019/june/efl- ... entry-city

If we don't have RP it would seem from this EFL statement that any long term ground share outside the city will be out of the question.

I don't want to leave RP but we must have a worked up alternative. For me, in the absence of RP, insufficient time or funds to build a new stadium or the possibility of ground sharing outside the city, a thorough redevelopment of Spytty is our only backstop position.

If I hear that backstop once more :banghead:

So it seems we have come to a conclusion then. Sharing out of the city is out of the question for several reasons, so we must stay in Newport. Moving to Spytty without extensive development to the stadium and transport infrastructure would condemn us to low crowds and consequently non-league football. We have no alternative venues and we must as the godfather said “ make the peace “ with our present landlords. Ipso facto Q.E.D.