Wembley and VAR etc

Just a small enquiry as to why the system was not used ? and why did the ref decide to stop for drinks and were there any added time for both stoppages--It did't seem particularly hot that day , when County were at Wembley
I heard today that VAR is not used below Premiership !!.----- I would have thought that it would be automatic usage at" the Home of British football" especially in promotion deciders..............................Bob Bassett.

Re: Wembley and VAR etc

BertieB wrote:Just a small enquiry as to why the system was not used ? and why did the ref decide to stop for drinks and were there any added time for both stoppages--It did't seem particularly hot that day , when County were at Wembley
I heard today that VAR is not used below Premiership !!.----- I would have thought that it would be automatic usage at" the Home of British football" especially in promotion deciders..............................Bob Bassett.
Hi Bob,

Although I didn't think so at the time having looked again at our home leg with Mansfield, I think VAR would have ruled out the penalty which led to our equaliser. And we wouldn't have even got to Wembley.

For your own health and wellbeing maybe it's time to let it go.

BertieB wrote:Just a small enquiry as to why the system was not used ? and why did the ref decide to stop for drinks and were there any added time for both stoppages--It did't seem particularly hot that day , when County were at Wembley
Hi Bob,

To answer the water breaks query...

The clock was stopped for the official water breaks, so no need to add on time.

Triangle wrote:
Hi Bob,

To answer the water breaks query...

The clock was stopped for the official water breaks, so no need to add on time.
I thought agreeing with AlanGBryant was cause for lying down. Reading an informative and interesting post from Spencer has me questioning whether I have slipped into a parallel universe. :grin:

Bob, the official excuse from the EFL is that they didn't use VAR in the final because it wasn't used throughout the regular season. Whilst true on the face of it, this is of course nonsense as goal line technology was operating in the semi-finals and final but was not used in the regular season. It is a lot easier to install a temporary goal line technology system than it is VAR. My theory is that they wanted to keep it consistent between the semis and the final even though everything is in place at Wembley for VAR to be used.

They are bringing in VAR for the Premier league next season but not below and the EFL have already announced that it will not be used in the championship play off final next year despite it being the most valuable domestic match in the world.

VAR is crap anyway, just something different to argue about and hasn't improved decisions one bit.

Will ruin Premier League next season and I'll enjoy L2 all the more without it.

Drinks breaks are standard stoppage when the temperature is at a certain level and not at any point ever has the clock in the stadium had any bearing on how long is played in a match, so maybe don't worry about it?

SJG99 wrote:VAR is crap anyway, just something different to argue about and hasn't improved decisions one bit.

Drinks breaks are standard stoppage when the temperature is at a certain level and not at any point ever has the clock in the stadium had any bearing on how long is played in a match, so maybe don't worry about it?
Disagree with that. VAR has certainly improved (in most cases) the ability to make the correct decision as it is a factual assessment of what happened. What it can't do (and we have the evidence for that) is take into account what happens when players challenge the decision from VAR.

The aftermath of England v Cameroon recently was a complete farce. The referee completely lost the plot and didn't know what to do. FIFA need to get a grip of this quite quickly. Players will have seen this and I guarantee they will play on this next season and we will be talking about it. Rightly or wrongly, the referee is in charge of the game and the authorities need to think now about what the referee should do when VAR is challenged. An immediate red card for longer than a 10 second protest delay (with the ref pointing at his watch) would sort this nonsense out straight away.

Even though it is a factual system, unfortunately VAR has the capability to completely change our enjoyment of the game. It needs sorting now, not next season, now.

pembsexile wrote:
SJG99 wrote:VAR is crap anyway, just something different to argue about and hasn't improved decisions one bit.

Disagree with that. VAR has certainly improved (in most cases) the ability to make the correct decision as it is a factual assessment of what happened. What it can't do (and we have the evidence for that) is take into account what happens when players challenge the decision from VAR.

The aftermath of England v Cameroon recently was a complete farce. The referee completely lost the plot and didn't know what to do. FIFA need to get a grip of this quite quickly. Players will have seen this and I guarantee they will play on this next season and we will be talking about it. Rightly or wrongly, the referee is in charge of the game and the authorities need to think now about what the referee should do when VAR is challenged. An immediate red card for longer than a 10 second protest delay (with the ref pointing at his watch) would sort this nonsense out straight away.

Even though it is a factual system, unfortunately VAR has the capability to completely change our enjoyment of the game. It needs sorting now, not next season, now.
Agree on this Michael, although I'd go further.

The authorities in football indulge players at the top level. I have never understood this. The only player who should be allowed to talk to the referee is the captain. If any other player started to argue a straight red. I doubt after week one anyone would ever be sent off.

VAR should only be used to end ridiculous decisions. The reason for this is that marginal decisions will always happen. Many years ago in an Olympic swimming final a gold medal was decided on about one one hundredth of a second. Utter nonsense, that's a draw.

I also think that if you take every variable out of the game that the game loses something. Babies and bathwater and all that.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Hi Bob,

Although I didn't think so at the time having looked again at our home leg with Mansfield, I think VAR would have ruled out the penalty which led to our equaliser. And we wouldn't have even got to Wembley.

VAR can only be used at Premier League grounds which is why Wembley (Spurs ground) there was an option to use it in the final. There was never a chance it would be used at Mansfield.

Also based on how VAR is to be used the only decision it would have effected was the penalty we didn't get. Other decisions like Butler penalty incident or whether Mickey D was last man VAR would have left up to the ref. Basically no VAR cost us having the chance to go 1-0 in a tight game with less than 10 minutes left.

It was a hell of a lot hotter at pitchside than it was in the stands - the water breaks were sensible.

Bush wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Hi Bob,

VAR can only be used at Premier League grounds which is why Wembley (Spurs ground) there was an option to use it in the final. There was never a chance it would be used at Mansfield.

Also based on how VAR is to be used the only decision it would have effected was the penalty we didn't get. Other decisions like Butler penalty incident or whether Mickey D was last man VAR would have left up to the ref. Basically no VAR cost us having the chance to go 1-0 in a tight game with less than 10 minutes left.
Wembley was not Spurs' home ground on the day of the final.

Hate to tell you, but VAR is not improving decisions at all, AND it's changing the ability of officials to make good decisions without it too. The "not flagging for offsides" and deliberate handball law change are tangible nonsense for a start.

We should all be glad our footballing futures aren't in the hands of the TV Gods in L2, appreciate the terrible refs for the hapless but equally unfair on all sides fools they are and enjoy matches finishing at 1650 rather than 1700.