Re: Clubs In Trouble

The real victims in this are surely Mansfield Town. If Bury had operated on a league two budget last year the fans would be able to watch league two football in the coming season. It now looks likely they may be somewhere below National North, if there is a club at all. In fact, come to think of it, no league can accept them as the leagues will be formulated for next year. You can't just stick an extra team in.

Kick Bury, Bolton and notts county all out of the league. There are teams in non league who wouldn't be able to play in the football league due to the state of their grounds yet teams can stay in there due to the state of their finances? These 3 clubs are making a mockery of the pyramid system right now.

Bush wrote:Kick Bury, Bolton and notts county all out of the league. There are teams in non league who wouldn't be able to play in the football league due to the state of their grounds yet teams can stay in there due to the state of their finances? These 3 clubs are making a mockery of the pyramid system right now.
I think Notts County have already managed that feat themselves without requiring the help of the Football League...

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Bush wrote:Kick Bury, Bolton and notts county all out of the league. There are teams in non league who wouldn't be able to play in the football league due to the state of their grounds yet teams can stay in there due to the state of their finances? These 3 clubs are making a mockery of the pyramid system right now.
I think Notts County have already managed that feat themselves without requiring the help of the Football League...
Good point. Ha

Id kick them out of the conference as well. end of the day these teams have cheated. No sympathy. Cannot have clubs in the football league who cannot fullfill fixtures.

Bush wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Good point. Ha

Id kick them out of the conference as well. end of the day these teams have cheated. No sympathy. Cannot have clubs in the football league who cannot fullfill fixtures.
That exactly happened to a club you may know in the 80's
No sympathy for them either Bush.

I read on another forum what seems to be a reasonable suggestion. When a club fails to pay wages on time, impose a points penalty (maybe just one point for the first month). Not paying wages is the first sign that the finances aren't in order. That would include non-playing staff, who don't have the fallback of the PFA paying (players) by means of a loan. Bury had the option of transferring high earning players in January to keep their wage bill under control, instead they buried their head in the sand until promotion was secure but there was no money to pay staff. If points deductions were made (is it now three months in Bury's case?) then May, June, July added to their CVA event would see them start on -15. However, they maybe unable to pay HMRC tomorrow despite the debt only being 25% of the true figure because of the CVA.

I don't have a problem with Notts County. Yes, they tried to buy a promotion winning team but failed miserably. By the skin of their teeth they have avoided administration. By all accounts they don't have a very strong team and may have to settle for mid table. Their problem may be the same as other teams trying to regain a place in the league. The likes of Solihull and Fylde may buy promotion.

I'd agree, no sympathy for the owners. But that said, bankruptcy doesn't scare them off, they are happy to ransack a club as long as their own finances are unaffected.

It's not right to re-do what was done to us, FFP reform is needed but I'm not confident the FL really care. They are more than happy watching Salford etc buy their way

excessbee wrote:The real victims in this are surely Mansfield Town. If Bury had operated on a league two budget last year the fans would be able to watch league two football in the coming season. It now looks likely they may be somewhere below National North, if there is a club at all. In fact, come to think of it, no league can accept them as the leagues will be formulated for next year. You can't just stick an extra team in.
It did happen once going back about 15 years. Barrow were booted out of the Conference and secured a place in the Northern Premier several weeks after it had started for the season. This meant it ran with 23 clubs, God knows how they organised the fixtures. This doesn't mean the same thing would happen again, of course.

I still have doubts they can prove they are financially viable for the season. Question is how many postponements will the EFL impose (and will they incur a points penalty) before the plug is pulled. Friday is their next deadline. They can't just limp along on a week by week basis.