Re: MOM

I really liked McNamara. Confident, very good positionally and prepared to take responsibility. He did look a bit lightweight against the muscle Mansfield deployed. Subbed at exactly the right time as he started to run out of gas, and putting Willmott wide on the right reinvigorated Robbie.

Amberexile wrote:I'll give it to Labs as much for not rising to their constant attempts to get him sent off as anything else.
Not sure about MOM, but he's got to be in with a shout for a BAFTA for the performances that got Mellis sent off.

Staggo wrote:
Amberexile wrote:I'll give it to Labs as much for not rising to their constant attempts to get him sent off as anything else.
Not sure about MOM, but he's got to be in with a shout for a BAFTA for the performances that got Mellis sent off.
Agreed, he writhed around in feigned agony, but he was not responsible for Mellis making contact with both knees to his back, which was the reason for the dismissal.

Staggo wrote:
Well if Labs is in line for a BAFTA then Danny Rose is a cert for an Oscar.

Staggo wrote:
Someone supporting a team with Rose in it complaining about an opponent's play acting. Priceless :lol:

Don't get me wrong, we know what Danny Rose is like.

I just thought the red was incredibly soft. The ref and linesman sent him off for a 'stamp', but his feet are clearly nowhere near the player. It was his knees. There's an argument that he dug them in to his back, but if he did, it must have been minimal. No excuse if he did, that's a red by the letter of the law, but I don't think they give it without the play acting.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Staggo wrote:
Well if Labs is in line for a BAFTA then Danny Rose is a cert for an Oscar.
He probably gets the lifetime achievement award tbf :grin:

I think Haynes had a pretty good game, however, I think McNamara was better. His positioning on and off the ball was great. I agree with George Street in saying he is lightweight. But he’s a very tricky player to handle for the opposition. The red card for Mansfield was a definite red. The player fell on Labadie after the tackle knees first. Dirty challenge.

Staggo wrote:Don't get me wrong, we know what Danny Rose is like.

I just thought the red was incredibly soft. The ref and linesman sent him off for a 'stamp', but his feet are clearly nowhere near the player. It was his knees. There's an argument that he dug them in to his back, but if he did, it must have been minimal. No excuse if he did, that's a red by the letter of the law, but I don't think they give it without the play acting.
Having seen a replay I am of the same opinion as I was at the time, it was a deliberate act of violent conduct and a stonewall red card.

It is also more likely that the referee confirmed his decision with his assistant rather than the assistant alone making the decision.