Re: County memories

Amberexile wrote:Loving the mentions of Tennyson Road, my nan lived on Tennyson Road. Great memories.
I reckon I walked up that road hundreds of times as a nipper with my mam when we moved from Rochester Road to the top of Beechwood park. That hill, particularly the bottom bit, is awesome.

I can remember from about 1970-71 me and my mates from the East Gwent village of Portskewett used to catch the bus(1 every half hour then) to the Cross Hands and trundle off down Somerton Road to the ground.
I can't imagine parents allowing their kids to do that these days.
After a Welsh Cup match against Ebbw Vale my friend Nigel ( still a season ticket holder) miss timed his run across Chepstow Road and got hit by a car and went flying over the roof, I thought he was a gonner but he got back up and wanted to catch the bus back home with the rest of us but the car driver took him to the Gwent for a check up. He came away with cuts and bruises.
They build us tough in the sticks.
Chris

pembsexile wrote:
Amberexile wrote:Loving the mentions of Tennyson Road, my nan lived on Tennyson Road. Great memories.
I reckon I walked up that road hundreds of times as a nipper with my mam when we moved from Rochester Road to the top of Beechwood park. That hill, particularly the bottom bit, is awesome.
It is indeed but gave a great view from her sitting room window down to Somerton Park. First thing I did every visit was to run to that window to see what state the pitch was in.

Amberexile wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
It is indeed but gave a great view from her sitting room window down to Somerton Park. First thing I did every visit was to run to that window to see what state the pitch was in.
Some steep roads in that area. I reckon (maybe wrong) that the steepest road in Newport is the one adjacent to Tennyson Road. It is between the bottom of Tennyson Road and the old Eveswell primary school directly opposite Rochester road. You would need calves of carbon fibre if you walked that one regularly.

We lived so close to Somerton park you could smell the beer and tobacco from the front door step, (magor st) and the roar when the county scored was like being in the ground, I remember when my dad started taking me, after every game we would walk upto corpa rd and get fish & chips from Polly Rowlands family chippy, great memories and so long ago.

chepstowamber wrote:I can remember from about 1970-71 me and my mates from the East Gwent village of Portskewett used to catch the bus(1 every half hour then) to the Cross Hands and trundle off down Somerton Road to the ground.
After a Welsh Cup match against Ebbw Vale my friend Nigel ( still a season ticket holder) miss timed his run across Chepstow Road and got hit by a car and went flying over the roof, I thought he was a gonner but he got back up and wanted to catch the bus back home with the rest of us but the car driver took him to the Gwent for a check up. He came away with cuts and bruises.
Chris
Wet old day. Odd for a Welsh Cup tie to be played on a Saturday. As I recall we won 3-1.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
chepstowamber wrote:I can remember from about 1970-71 me and my mates from the East Gwent village of Portskewett used to catch the bus(1 every half hour then) to the Cross Hands and trundle off down Somerton Road to the ground.
Chris
Wet old day. Odd for a Welsh Cup tie to be played on a Saturday. As I recall we won 3-1.
Yes It was a Saturday, well done for remembering the score Stan. I've still got the black and White reduced programme.
Chris

[quote="llanwern exile"]We lived so close to Somerton park you could smell the beer and tobacco from the front door step, (magor st) and the roar when the county scored was like being in the ground, I remember when my dad started taking me, after every game we would walk upto corpa rd and get fish & chips from Polly Rowlands family chippy, great memories and so long ago.[/quote

I used to see the lights go on from our rear window and knew that was the time to walk down Cromwell Road. I too would walk back up to Rowlands fish and chip shop on the Corpa.. You would have to wait for it all to be cooked fresh unlike today's chippies where it's cooked and left to sweat away behind the hot glass.

I used to like the chip shop on somerton road. An old Italian couple used to run it and the food was the best I ever tasted from a chip shop........Buy the fish and chips , walk over somerton bridge and pray that you never fell down the stupidly steep steps down to gods own football stadium...It was a sh!tehole but it was our sh!te hole...For all the bad that Somerton Park offered . I loved it
When I was in college I used to walk from Nash to chip shop (3 or 4 miles) to get my lunch as they were so good

chepstowamber wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Chris
Yes It was a Saturday, well done for remembering the score Stan. I've still got the black and White reduced programme.
Chris
It was 71/72,I remember it funnily enough because I Wasn't there.My mum's work had got tickets for a pantomime in Cardiff so I had to go to that.My mate went and I recall him telling me that Roddy Jones scored their goal with a back pass.Anyone see it,apparently he had all the time to clear it but passed back past Lynch? For a bizarre own goal,according to my friend.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Mike
Batchelor Road
Cheers
That's the one. Cheers.

More walking County memories. There was a bloody hill whenever I walked over to SP. Whether it was Beechwood or Gibbs Rd, up and down over the bridge on Somerton Rd, and as Neil has mentioned, those ludicrously steep steps down to the ground entrance on the Grandstand side. Thank goodness H&S were not there then, they would have closed them down asap.

Memory sometimes fades with age, but unlike the speedway, I don't think I can ever remember watching the County from the supporters club bar side. If I ever did, it was only once or twice and then it would have been when I was very young with my dad.

My earliest memories of the players are Rathbone, Reynolds, Smith, Weare and Hill. I couldn't really relate to them at the time, they were just the players who represented my home town team. I never really had a favourite County player then, that came later. Funny game football!

Poor Graham Rathbone got named in the tabloids when the witch hunt started after the Sheff Wed scandal with Peter Swan and Bronco Laine cannot think of the third without looking it up.
Graham Reynolds an Amateur got a ban for taking brown envelopes as well.
I think it was you Mike who said he was a bully at Hartridge with the cane but he was great pals with my next door neighbour so he never came near me thankfully.
Different times.
Amateurs still in golf why I have no idea.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Poor Graham Rathbone got named in the tabloids when the witch hunt started after the Sheff Wed scandal with Peter Swan and Bronco Laine cannot think of the third without looking it up.
Graham Reynolds an Amateur got a ban for taking brown envelopes as well.
I think it was you Mike who said he was a bully at Hartridge with the cane but he was great pals with my next door neighbour so he never came near me thankfully.
Different times.
Amateurs still in golf why I have no idea.
Yeh, it was me who said that about Graham Reynolds. He was a French teacher at Hartridge when I was there. I remember one day, I was 11 and he gave the dap to one of the boys in the class who had been naughty. It frightened the absolute life out of me.

He did run the football team though and managed a superb five a side dinner time football competition for the whole of the lower school. I loved that and played for 2C, B team. Brilliant memories.

I always had memories of him playing lots of games for the County but in actual fact, I don't think it was that many.

llanwern exile wrote:We lived so close to Somerton park you could smell the beer and tobacco from the front door step, (magor st) and the roar when the county scored was like being in the ground, I remember when my dad started taking me, after every game we would walk upto corpa rd and get fish & chips from Polly Rowlands family chippy, great memories and so long ago.
The Rowlands are distant relatives of mine, can just about remember the shop, about opposite the top of Jenkins Street ?