Re: If Flynn goes, who would you like?

In fairness to the BoD their communication is often pretty patchy. We just feel it more at times like this.

So all we have is a statement from Flynn stating he has heard nothing and that he will be in charge of County's game on Tuesday.

In the other corner we've got the bookies and two Internet forum rumours (one of which describes a washed-up and hopeless (available) manager who will probably be cheap sitting beside our chairman at yesterday's game).

Yes, assurances from the club that Flynn is not packing his bags seem apposite, no matter how poor their normal levels of communication.

Re: Why not Sol Campbell

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:No affinity with Newport, done next to nothing as a manager.

I was parked at RP the day Butcher was introduced to the crowd before starting work. Swept into the car park in a Range Rover with personalised plates, his no. 2 soon after.

I thought "Nope, this isn't going to work". Gave them the benefit of the doubt as always once they started but not surprised it ended in tears. I just got a whiff of it being all about what we could do for them rather than the other way round. I suspect once you have been as big a star as Butcher and Campbell it's hard to shake that off inside your on head.
At the time you wrote that Hibs supporters might be against Butcher because they were motivated by sectarianism. I asked you to withdraw that remark as I found it offensive. You refused citing the fact that Hibs had some sectarian fans. As I recall you even posted up a article showing that sectarianism existed in Scotland.

Using your logic. Some white people are racist against people of colour. You are white and Sol Campbell is black. It would therefore follow that it is legitimate to suggest that your views on Campbell may be an indication that you are a racist.

To make such a suggestion would be crass in the extreme and I do not suggest this is the case. Reflecting on this, could I now invite you to withdraw your offensive slurs on the Hibs fans you maligned?
Desperate attempt to provoke an argument and slide the racism card into play, and PMSL at you thinking you can say "jump" and I'll ask how high.

I'm very happy to repeat that some Hibs fans would be anti-Butcher out of sectarianism. And I don't have a dog in that fight.

For why I wouldn't want Campbell as manager, read the first line again - "No affinity with Newport, done next to nothing as a manager". If he did get the job, I'd back him 100 per cent. Probably the only candidate who wouldn't get that benefit of the doubt is Steve Evans

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:No affinity with Newport, done next to nothing as a manager.

I was parked at RP the day Butcher was introduced to the crowd before starting work. Swept into the car park in a Range Rover with personalised plates, his no. 2 soon after.

I thought "Nope, this isn't going to work". Gave them the benefit of the doubt as always once they started but not surprised it ended in tears. I just got a whiff of it being all about what we could do for them rather than the other way round. I suspect once you have been as big a star as Butcher and Campbell it's hard to shake that off inside your on head.
At the time you wrote that Hibs supporters might be against Butcher because they were motivated by sectarianism. I asked you to withdraw that remark as I found it offensive. You refused citing the fact that Hibs had some sectarian fans. As I recall you even posted up a article showing that sectarianism existed in Scotland.

Using your logic. Some white people are racist against people of colour. You are white and Sol Campbell is black. It would therefore follow that it is legitimate to suggest that your views on Campbell may be an indication that you are a racist.

To make such a suggestion would be crass in the extreme and I do not suggest this is the case. Reflecting on this, could I now invite you to withdraw your offensive slurs on the Hibs fans you maligned?
Desperate attempt to provoke an argument and slide the racism card into play, and PMSL at you thinking you can say "jump" and I'll ask how high.

I'm very happy to repeat that some Hibs fans would be anti-Butcher out of sectarianism. And I don't have a dog in that fight.

For why I wouldn't want Campbell as manager, read the first line again - "No affinity with Newport, done next to nothing as a manager". If he did get the job, I'd back him 100 per cent. Probably the only candidate who wouldn't get that benefit of the doubt is Steve Evans
No affinity with Newport. Like Ashurst, Addison, Edinburgh.

And far more experience with Macclesfield as a manager than Michael Flynn had with anyone.

Mmmmmm.

excessbee wrote:And packing in humility. Let's not forget Westley........... surprised he hasn't got a mention, after all he did lay the foundations for Flynn's success.
Yes but he wasn't a success. The first manager I remember was Led Graham. A former player who had the affinity but not the ability.

Now to be clear, there was no evidence to suggest that the Hibs fans were motivated by sectarianism, George's comments were an unjustified slur. He should apologize and withdraw them.

His final point that if Campbell is appointed that Campbell will have his full support is nonsense. Having said that he doesn't want him for obviously spurious reasons giving his support would be somewhat hollow.

My own view on if Flynn goes who we should appoint is nuanced. I would go for Lenny or Pulis if either were willing. However appointing managers as anyone with more than two brain cells over the age of twelve knows is a lottery.

Re: Flynn 1/4 odds fav - who succeeds?

Ian Holloway would be as good as anyone, and he is aware of the County's finances and any other important situations, so I think he would be the man to continue the County projects and planning. And I think Mike Flynn will be here for a while yet.---but he has already earned the right to grab any career moves himself, if or when ever they may appear. Come on the Port ..Bob Bassett

Ironsider wrote:I do believe that Edinburgh has sectarian divisions, not as prevalent as Glasgow - but it does exist.

Some sections of Hibs support are aligned with republicanism and identify as catholic where as Hearts are pro unionism, loyalism and protestant.
That is true. But that does not excuse an attack on the integrity of posters who said that Butcher was a very poor manager. Let me put it into context.

I am a Catholic. I am of Irish extraction and I live in Ireland. Warren Feeney is a Protestant from Northern Ireland. From the staunchly loyalist Sandy Row.

I thought the decision to sack Feeney was the right decision. I would be grossly offended if anyone suggested I wanted Feeney sacked for any other reason than his managerial record.

I am white. When Aaron O'Connor photographed himself driving at over 100mph and posted it on social media I posted on here that his behaviour was disgraceful and that he had shamed our club. Again if anyone suggested that I posted this only or in part because O'Connor was black, I would find that grossly offensive.

Let's refresh our memories on Stan's keenness to drag threads into discussing sectarianism. Bizarrely, we were talking about rule changes we'd like to see.

Me: :
One rule change I would make is in admin rather than to the laws of the game - no managerial changes outside the transfer windows unless it's exceptional circumstances e.g. ill health.

Stan:
Why? Okay it might have saved your mate 'Orange' Terry Butcher but in what other job if the manager is not up to it the idea that they can't be sacked for a few months would be seen as anything but ludicrous?

Edit: And the race card was played a few posts further on.

Re: Flynn 1/4 odds fav - who succeeds?

mad norm wrote:
ref23 wrote:Tim Flowers
David Challinor
Alan Dowson
Paul Doswell

All of these suggestions are made on the assumption that, if he does go, Wayne Hatswell won't be an option.
Sure Dowsie would be flattered to be mentioned.....but results are ground out and full time footy is a long way off from part time
Results ground out? That sounds awfully familiar. He's got an average side, on an average budget batting way above their level. Ticks a lot of boxes for a club like ours in my opinion.

George,

As usual you are missing the point.

I am specifically not suggesting you are a racist. What I am saying is that it would be offensive to suggest you are on the basis that you are critical of a person who is black.

You posed the question were people critical of Butcher on sectarian grounds when there was no evidence of such. That for me is equally offensive.