Re: Touting?

We don't know what question he was asked to bring this statement out.

Perhaps he thinks a club is likely to make an offer and thinks competition will get a better price.

On the face of it is a strange statement but I trust him to know what he is doing.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Saying bigger clubs will be interested in our best players is like saying today is Tuesday. Much better than having a load contracted who no-one would want. A reputation for not standing in players' way also has to be a good thing.
Like saying today is Tuesday, our job would be to try to persuade him to stay (if that is in the best interests of the club) and if that isn't possible then to get the best possible transfer package for the club. Then we move on.

Fourthousand wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Saying bigger clubs will be interested in our best players is like saying today is Tuesday. Much better than having a load contracted who no-one would want. A reputation for not standing in players' way also has to be a good thing.
Like saying today is Tuesday, our job would be to try to persuade him to stay (if that is in the best interests of the club) and if that isn't possible then to get the best possible transfer package for the club. Then we move on.
Sounds harsh when read back - just like to add I think he is a smashing footballer and young man. He is a real asset to the club in every sense of the word. Back to his best after injury and that plus being sidelined/ benched for long periods (you could sense his frustration) shows his strength of character.
I would love to see him play at the highest possible level and win full caps for Wales. On the way to that level I would like to see him smash the L2 transfer fee record (circa 3 mil) in going back to Swansea.

So the dream goes - we get 6 million, a conveyor belt of young talent from The Swans and then purchase outright/big stake in RP. Keep talking him up Flynny - now that would be a legacy.
UTP

Fourthousand wrote:
So the dream goes - we get 6 million, a conveyor belt of young talent from The Swans and then purchase outright/big stake in RP. Keep talking him up Flynny - now that would be a legacy.
UTP
That would be the dream. But dreams turn
nightmarish on occasions.

Now I don't know what Sheehan's transfer fee will be. But if you were Sheehan what would you do, sign now and let County pick up the transfer fee or play out your contract at County and pocket the transfer fee for yourself?

Of course there is always the danger for Sheehan that if he follows the latter route he risks getting injured. But as we saw with Joss Labadie the club will cover much of that loss. This is the problem when any individual is allowed to be bigger than the club.

It may be true that losing Labadie or Flynn would be bad for us in the short term. And I certainly don't blame Messrs Flynn, Labadie or if it comes to it Sheehan for doing the very best they can for their families. However in the long term we should all remember that Newport County must always be bigger than any individual or group.

lowandhard wrote:
Ironsider wrote:
mad norm wrote:Touting is.near Wimbledon
A famous old non league side, correct spelling granted of course :cheers:
Wasn’t it Tooting and Mitcham? I lived in Tooting Bec back in the 60’s .
It was indeed - played at Sandy Lane and had some big FA Cup runs over the years.

Percy plunkett wrote:
lowandhard wrote:Hahaha, loved the nightlife in Brixton though :grin: :shock:
Did you ever take your car to Percy Plunkett's garage.
No but had to leave my motor there one Saturday night when it failed to start. To my pleasant surprise it was still there on Sunday lunchtime. Now where I worked in Bromley by Bow.................