Re: Bury FC

According to this story all 71 clubs in the EFL will discuss what happens next with 3 options on the table

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/fo ... led-636794

The important bit says

The options understood to be under consideration are:

- League Two to operate with 23 teams in the 2020/21 season.

- Only one League Two team to be relegated in the 2019/20 season, ensuring there will be 24 teams in the fourth tier in 2020/21 season.

- A new member to be granted membership of the EFL – whether a reformed Bury or a National League club.

No vote is set to take place at the meeting, but Sunderland and their rivals will be given a chance to voice their views on the direction the league should pursue.

EFL made their decision & should stick with it. Passing the buck to the other clubs isn’t right, especially as I’m sure a number of the clubs that are in a spot of bother financially will all vote to keep them in just in case they’re next.

by Exile 1976 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:13 pm
EFL made their decision & should stick with it. Passing the buck to the other clubs isn’t right, especially as I’m sure a number of the clubs that are in a spot of bother financially will all vote to keep them in just in case they’re next.
Actually the EFL never made a decision on the impact to L2 and what they are doing now is in line with their statement on August 27th

https://www.efl.com/news/2019/august/bu ... -withdrawn

The key part of the statement is

League One will now comprise of 23 Clubs for the remainder of the campaign and relegation places in the division reduced to three, which will result in a full complement of 24 Clubs in 2020/21. A discussion will take place with EFL Clubs on the consequential impact in League Two when Clubs next meet in September 2019.

Most news organizations have assumed that L2 would now only relegate 1 club

This includes the BBC who incorrectly only have 1 relegation spot for L2
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/league-two/table

The Beeb and others may end up being correct but they are jumping the gun here. No decision has yet been made

Snowman wrote:
by Exile 1976 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:13 pm
Actually the EFL never made a decision on the impact to L2 and what they are doing now is in line with their statement on August 27th

https://www.efl.com/news/2019/august/bu ... -withdrawn

The key part of the statement is

League One will now comprise of 23 Clubs for the remainder of the campaign and relegation places in the division reduced to three, which will result in a full complement of 24 Clubs in 2020/21. A discussion will take place with EFL Clubs on the consequential impact in League Two when Clubs next meet in September 2019.

Most news organizations have assumed that L2 would now only relegate 1 club

This includes the BBC who incorrectly only have 1 relegation spot for L2
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/league-two/table

The Beeb and others may end up being correct but they are jumping the gun here. No decision has yet been made

They withdrew Bury’s EFL membership therefore they should have to start lower down the pyramid just like all the others had to. To have an option that EFL clubs could get them in LG 2 next season is, IMO, piss poor

I think it is highly unlikely that the clubs will recommend that Bury will be playing in the EFL next season

The club is still a financial basket case with no assets, no playing staff and as far as I am aware no known path to recovery.

The EFL and L1 in particular has already been tarnished by Burys mismanagement. The clubs would be foolish to accept such a risky club again

The normal procedure for clubs to recover from poor financial management is to drop into non league and rebuild from there. I expect that this will be the suggestion from the clubs for Bury.

The FA can then get involved to formalize a recovery plan for the club via an appropriate league.

This will leave the clubs to decide on what to do for L2 next season. Going with just 23 clubs is also crazy and it would mean a loss of revenue and an unbalanced schedule

This leaves one of 2 options

1. Reducing this season L2 relegation to 1 club for 2019/20
or
2. Increase promotion from the Conference to 3 clubs for 2019/20

Self interest would suggest that option 1 is the most likely choice

If this meeting was scheduled before Bury's expulsion, then isn't it just a regular calendared meeting and not an emergency meeting specifically to discuss Bury. If that was the case it would have happened months ago. My reading of it is that, of course, the Bury situation will be discussed, but it was never a decision that called for ratification by a vote. I think the background and reasons for the expulsion will be set out and club representatives will be allowed comment. In the event of a vote, every club abstaining would be sufficient for the original decision to stand. Good riddance to Bury. As a club, they are welcome to reform at a suitable level. I haven't read any report that they have paid their debts. I believe their CVA is being investigated for the possibility of being fraudulent.