Mike give the youth a chance

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

old ironside

Mike give the youth a chance

Postby old ironside » November 6th, 2019, 10:11 am

MF have you forgot how you got your first start , Collins and Jefferies are good enough and should be on bench and coming on for ten minutes . Show a bit of faith in them and give a boost to the youth academy.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Re: Mike give the youth a chance

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » November 6th, 2019, 10:59 am

old ironside wrote:MF have you forgot how you got your first start , Collins and Jefferies are good enough and should be on bench and coming on for ten minutes . Show a bit of faith in them and give a boost to the youth academy.

Well said Sir
no avatar
User

Special branch

Postby Special branch » November 6th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Totally agree. Remember the young Lowndes.
no avatar
User

Goddard & woods

Lliswerry

Postby Goddard & woods » November 6th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Special branch wrote:Totally agree. Remember the young Lowndes.

Now there was a very under rated player could never understand the stick he got from some County fans class act and a vital cog in our promotion season.
no avatar
User

Triangle

With the Panthers

Postby Triangle » November 6th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Agree on giving the younger squad members a decent chance.
no avatar
User

County ranger

Postby County ranger » November 6th, 2019, 6:04 pm

old ironside wrote:MF have you forgot how you got your first start , Collins and Jefferies are good enough and should be on bench and coming on for ten minutes . Show a bit of faith in them and give a boost to the youth academy.

How do you know that - I assume the combined talents of Flynn / Hatswell and Lawrence would know if they good enough and if so would pick them. If you are good enough age does not matter if you are not age does not matter it comes down to ability and who can do a job.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » November 7th, 2019, 12:01 am

County ranger wrote:

How do you know that - I assume the combined talents of Flynn / Hatswell and Lawrence would know if they good enough and if so would pick them. If you are good enough age does not matter if you are not age does not matter it comes down to ability and who can do a job.

You clearly have not seen Jefferies then.
Quality and huge potential.
no avatar
User

old ironside

Postby old ironside » November 7th, 2019, 10:37 am

County ranger wrote:

You make a good point but how can MF and his team be sure they are right if they don't try them in first team. Also its the affect it must have on the academy staff and players.
no avatar
User

rncfc

Caerphilly

Postby rncfc » November 7th, 2019, 11:21 am

I'd like to see youth given a chance as well. However, this season where we appear to be taking promotion seriously you can understand why we're reluctant.

If we were targeting mid table then I would like to think some of these boys would be getting game time. Unfortunately there is an element of learning on the job with younger players, and you can't afford to be losing points to inexperience when you're trying to get promoted.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » November 7th, 2019, 11:26 am

Snag is we aren't scoring enough to give a bit of slack to try out youngsters without jeopardising points.
no avatar
User

rncfc

Caerphilly

Postby rncfc » November 7th, 2019, 11:46 am

George Street-Bridge wrote:Snag is we aren't scoring enough to give a bit of slack to try out youngsters without jeopardising points.

Depends how you look at it.

I think our lack of goals is because we are focused on having 11 men defending well. If flynny thinks that youth players won't be as adept at buying into that, then I can understand.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » November 7th, 2019, 11:48 am

George Street-Bridge wrote:Snag is we aren't scoring enough to give a bit of slack to try out youngsters without jeopardising points.

Maybe Collins and Jefferies could solve that problem.
Salford -Jeopardise points enough said.
no avatar
User

Ncfc1995

Postby Ncfc1995 » November 7th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Jefferies would of done better than maloney and with labadie and sheean around woukd learn quickly
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » November 7th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Looks to me as though Mike doesn't rate the youngsters
no avatar
User

DT1892

Postby DT1892 » November 7th, 2019, 5:12 pm

The jump from youth football to Football League level is bigger than it's ever been. How many clubs at this level have youth players in their first XI regularly? If any of them are as good as some of the first team, I don't see a reason why Flynn wouldn't give them a chance.

Collins has got some time on the pitch and done alright, but aside from that I can't see how anyone can know the 'potential' of any of our lads unless they watch them every week. I saw Jeffries against West Ham and thought he had a good game, but it was against another academy team. Playing against the likes of Salford, Forest Green or Bradford is a completely different challenge.
Next