Re: Grandstand FA Cup Round 2

neilcork68 wrote:Exile 1976....you almost said it yourself in your post....We won the game 1 - 0 but we all know , irrelevant of the result we were out played by a team who play in a 'pub league' as you put it.
For professional footballers , and the manager they should be embarrassed about it...The win papers over the cracks.
If they had scored first we never looked like we had the ability to get back in the game with out aimless hoof ball tactics as we were really poor...Without the defence playing well we were poor all over the pitch with only Sheehan looking decent

Not at all mate, we were away against a team that had already beaten a League 2 side away from home and who’s confidence was sky high (ok, admittedly they’re in a ‘pub league’).
Now, ours will be low after recent results , we’re missing a few important players, lost 2 centre backs during the game, add to that it’s the FA Cup and it had all the hallmarks of a potential banana skin.
We won though, and despite being really poor, we still had double the amount of shots (and on target) than they did.
That is the main thing for me.
Last edited by Exile 1976 on November 29th, 2019, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great to grind out a result despite not having Labs , Bennett , McNamara and Wilmott and losing two centre backs within a matter of minutes.

Sheehan once outstanding and for me the way forward is having natural balance . Three at the back and Nurse and Wilmott down the flanks. It’s unfair to expect Jeffries and Haynes to play that role as they’re defenders first and foremost.
Last edited by Morganrum on November 29th, 2019, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neilcork68 wrote:Where can I get the gift of hindsight many on here seem to have ?

At the time of my post Amond was probably the worse player on the park and we were playing with 10 men....and they were playing absolute pathetic.
Sheehan , Townsend , Innes, Howkins and O'Brien were the only ones who played ok
He was dreadful but the manager has to take the blame for that for playing him out of position.

We're through so we have to be happy.

Let's not kid ourselves we have been generally very poor this season. How many games have we won 1-0 playing badly against "the worst team we have played this season".

We don't play the kind of football I like to watch. Earlier this season some folk on here said they enjoy winning 1-0 playing badly more than playing well and losing 4-3, as a one-off fair comment but over a period of time playing badly means you lose more than you win.

For me Whitely has potential and tries to play football, Sheehan plays football, Amond plays football, Robbie plays football, I actually think Poleon has potential ( just my opinion ).

So joy, we were awful against Grimsby in the replay, we were not good this evening but we are in the 3rd round. We'll make some money but Mr Flynn and the coaching team I would love to see us play a little football. Butcher was pillioried for playing hoofball and rightly so .... were playing hoofball.
Last edited by Dave John on November 29th, 2019, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The main thing for all of us has to be that Howkins is alright - horrible to see any player go down like that. A poor performance against a side 4 tiers below us. Flynny has work to do in the window - at least two midfielders and a striker is needed. Podge's goal saved us but I would expect that against at the level of opposition from a player paid to do exactly that. The team have to show us that they can do it in the league now.

Dave John wrote:We're through so we have to be happy.

Let's not kid ourselves we have been generally very poor this season. How many games have we won 1-0 playing badly against "the worst team we have played this season".

We don't play the kind of football I like to watch. Earlier this season some folk on here said they enjoy winning 1-0 playing badly more than playing well and losing 4-3, as a one-off fair comment but over a period of time playing badly means you lose more than you win.

For me Whitely has potential and tries to play football, Sheehan plays football, Amond plays football, Robbie plays football, I actually think Poleon has potential ( just my opinion ).

So joy, we were awful against Grimsby in the replay, we were not good this evening but we are in the 3rd round. We'll make some money but Mr Flynn and the coaching team I would love to see us play a little football. Butcher was pilliored for playing hoofball and rightly so .... were playing hoofball.

Butcher didn’t play hoof ball , it was actually quite exciting until Crawley , unfortunately we lost all the time.

Dave John wrote:We're through so we have to be happy.

So joy, we were awful against Grimsby in the replay, we were not good this evening but we are in the 3rd round. We'll make some money but Mr Flynn and the coaching team I would love to see us play a little football. Butcher was pilliored for playing hoofball and rightly so .... were playing hoofball.
Poleon has potential??? Maybe a couple of years ago when he was at
Leeds - he is now at an age when he needs to start performing!Seen nothing from him in any of the games this season.

neilcork68 wrote:Where can I get the gift of hindsight many on here seem to have ?

At the time of my post Amond was probably the worse player on the park and we were playing with 10 men....and they were playing absolute pathetic.
Sheehan , Townsend , Innes, Howkins and O'Brien were the only ones who played ok

Surely, you don't need the gift of hindsight to know that you need your main goalscorer and most likely player to nick you a goal on the pitch no matter how he's playing

neilcork68 wrote:Exile 1976....you almost said it yourself in your post....We won the game 1 - 0 but we all know , irrelevant of the result we were out played by a team who play in a 'pub league' as you put it.
For professional footballers , and the manager they should be embarrassed about it...The win papers over the cracks.
If they had scored first we never looked like we had the ability to get back in the game with out aimless hoof ball tactics as we were really poor...Without the defence playing well we were poor all over the pitch with only Sheehan looking decent
They beat orient at home