Re: Mindly perturbed......

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:The difference was in those days we all stood apart from a small crowd in the stand.
When I was a kid we would sneak up at half time thinking we would not be spotted.
We always were.
If it poured down we could all get under the tin roof on the railway side.
Had my spot for years and years.
Dad had his towards the front.
I rarely went around the back to watch us play second half other end either
Hazel for me, quite happy as it is.
Which tin roof on the railway side was that mate? My memories of SP tell me there wasn’t any roof at all on the railway end. I used to go there now and then. I watched the CZJ game from there.

My recollection is that in one corner was the speedway pits with a small standing area in front and the other corner was the start of the old covered stand that nearly went as far as the Grandstand. My memories may be failing me but I don’t remember any roof between those points. I don’t think you could walk from the pits to behind the goalposts either, wasn’t it fenced off? Memories eh!

Re: Mindly perturbed......

pembsexile wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:The difference was in those days we all stood apart from a small crowd in the stand.
When I was a kid we would sneak up at half time thinking we would not be spotted.
We always were.
If it poured down we could all get under the tin roof on the railway side.
Had my spot for years and years.
Dad had his towards the front.
I rarely went around the back to watch us play second half other end either
Hazel for me, quite happy as it is.
Which tin roof on the railway side was that mate? My memories of SP tell me there wasn’t any roof at all on the railway end. I used to go there now and then. I watched the CZJ game from there.

My recollection is that in one corner was the speedway pits with a small standing area in front and the other corner was the start of the old covered stand that nearly went as far as the Grandstand. My memories may be failing me but I don’t remember any roof between those points. I don’t think you could walk from the pits to behind the goalposts either, wasn’t it fenced off? Memories eh!
Morning mate.
I am talking about the main standing terrace to the railway side of the grandstand.
It had the large tin roof on it.
The bank on Cromwell road side had no cover until you got behind the goal.
Never changed my spot.
You could look from the edge behind the ground and see how few were coming over the bridge.

Cheers