Re: Swindon Town

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Mr Figo wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:The town of Swindon has a population some 30,000 greater than Newport. However the conurbation of Newport is some 100,000 greater than that of Swindon. ( Swindon is surrounded by fields, Newport has Risca, Cwmbran etc.)

We can and must see the likes of Swindon as those who we compete with on an equal footing and get rid of the 'little old Newport' mentality.

I live just outside Swindon Stan and I can tell you that whilst it may be surrounded by fields, the supporter base for Swindon spreads throughout a wide area. Oxford is about 25 miles east, Bristol and Gloucester roughly 40 miles west, nothing much south until you hit Salisbury (who tend to follow Southampton and nothing much north until you hit Cheltenham. In between that you have various towns, Chippenham, Bath and Melksham to name but a few and then small villages and towns in between. That's in addition to the 30,000 you mention that live in and around Swindon.
Pause for a moment. If you read my post I am not saying anything other than Swindon are a club she should be able to compete with on an equal footing.

Nothing more, nothing less. Swindon are the club who represent Wiltshire. Population 472,000. As opposed to Newport who represent Gwent. Population 591,000.
Good morning Brendan. I cannot agree at all with your last but one sentence. Since when did Newport represent Gwent. That is part and parcel of the NGD issue with the Dragons and we don’t want to go there.

Newport represent Newport. Never in my 55 years of supporting the County did I ever think that I was cheering a club that represent Gwent. I cheer for a club that is from Newport. Newport is in Gwent, that is it, if the surrounding towns wish to support the club, then brilliant, come on in.

Please don’t think that this is insular thinking - it is not, the club do excellent work in the Community and long may it continue, we need all the support we can get.

No doubt some will say that the clue is in the clubs name. To me, that is just it, a name. We could have been called Newport Utd or Newport Town. Then, I would have been saying, cmon Utd, or come on the Town.

By the same token, I don’t think Swindon represent Wiltshire, they represent Swindon and get their support from the town and the surrounding area. By and large, fans these days have an interest in a club that they may have no emotional connection to. For example I support Liverpool and I don’t have any emotional connection at all to Merseyside. Football (as Greavsie used to say) is a funny old game and never stranger when fans explain their connection with a particular club. Cmon the County, (Newport football club). :grin:
Morning Mike,
First of all forgive me that I failed to reply to your last pm. I have been extremely busy of late.

Secondly to answer your point. The original name of our club was The Newport and Monmouthshire County Football Club. I accept the premise that we have failed to attract enough supporters from outside of Newport but I think that can be rectified.

I appreciate that Cardiff City may eat into our support but if Tranmere can compete with Liverpool and Everton for supporters and Rochdale with Manchester United and Manchester City, then we need to up our game as opposed to finding excuses for failure.

Amberexile wrote:We seem to have drifted way off the topic of the County not being able, or as I see it not being prepared to compete with £100,000 transfer fees plus £5,000 a week wages in League 2.

In my view, in our current state, the board are correct to steer well away from this and set our player budget at a sustainable level on a 2 year rolling basis as they do.

Of course, if like Swindon we were able to make year-on-year multi million pound losses covered mainly by one individual things might be different but while we are not, comparison of conurbation sizes etc seems irrelevant and deliberately ignores this elephant in the room.

One thing I took away from the open meeting last night is that the board seem to be of the opinion that they have a mandate to continue as a trust run club and ignore the hybrid model for the time being. While this situation continues I expect we will continue to refuse to compete for players at this level of cost. Having managed to beat Swindon twice this season on the pitch, I don't see this as a huge problem.
Having just read the Q&As it seems that there was no appetite for the hybrid model

George Street-Bridge wrote:I don't recall ever linking capacity to the specific buzzwords.

FWIW I think a 25,000-seat stadium would be an utter disaster, let alone anything bigger, and in direct contradiction to "fit for purpose".
George,

You have called me poison, a stalker and a creep on this board. And yet you post up that you have never been abusive to me. From that I think we can at least garner that your powers of recollection are weak. :grin:

Why do you think that developing a stadium with a 25,000 would be an utter disaster? And I stress the word developing.

Amberexile wrote:We seem to have drifted way off the topic of the County not being able, or as I see it not being prepared to compete with £100,000 transfer fees plus £5,000 a week wages in League 2.

In my view, in our current state, the board are correct to steer well away from this and set our player budget at a sustainable level on a 2 year rolling basis as they do.

Of course, if like Swindon we were able to make year-on-year multi million pound losses covered mainly by one individual things might be different but while we are not, comparison of conurbation sizes etc seems irrelevant and deliberately ignores this elephant in the room.

One thing I took away from the open meeting last night is that the board seem to be of the opinion that they have a mandate to continue as a trust run club and ignore the hybrid model for the time being. While this situation continues I expect we will continue to refuse to compete for players at this level of cost. Having managed to beat Swindon twice this season on the pitch, I don't see this as a huge problem.
Agree with most of this, although not sure that the board is of the opinion that they have a 'mandate to continue as a trust run club and ignore the hybrid model for the time being.' As far as I'm aware there is no hybrid model in the offing? If and when there is I would love to see it, and believe that the board has said if such an offer arises it will put it to the trust membership for discussion/voting on.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:I used to live in Risca and my sis still does, everyone I know up that way supports c***iff city
You never met me or my next door neighbour then. :lol:

Think this merely highlights, that however many people may be 'known' to you it is probably only a small percentage of any town/area, and not likely to be true overall representation of that place
Personally I only know a few from Risca and they are County supporters. Perhaps if I were a City supporter I would likely know a few fellow supporters from the Risca area.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:

Agree with most of this, although not sure that the board is of the opinion that they have a 'mandate to continue as a trust run club and ignore the hybrid model for the time being.' As far as I'm aware there is no hybrid model in the offing? If and when there is I would love to see it, and believe that the board has said if such an offer arises it will put it to the trust membership for discussion/voting on.
Just a few questions to consider.

I have never understood why hard nosed business people, take over football clubs for utterly altruistic motives. And I really don't understand why time and again these philanthropic persons then seem to raise the ire of supporters of these clubs. And I really don't get why, notwithstanding the vitriol, these good people continue to hang on for dear life to something which is just emptying their pockets. Can any one explain this?

Hybrid ownership. Again as these investors in football are acting out of purely selfless reasons, no doubt the hybrid model is at least as attractive to these knights in shining armour as outright ownership. No?

I believe in Trust ownership of our club. I also believe that the incumbent board of trustees need to realize is that it is a privilege to serve Newport County and her supporters. Not a right.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:

I paraphrase what l heard last night.

The trust set up a meeting to discuss the hybrid model as they promised. The meeting was poorly attended. There was no appetite to pursue the hybrid model among those who did attend. They will consider offers but are not actively pursuing.

I'll check that recollection against the recording when it is uploaded.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:I used to live in Risca and my sis still does, everyone I know up that way supports c***iff city

Think this merely highlights, that however many people may be 'known' to you it is probably only a small percentage of any town/area, and not likely to be true overall representation of that place
Personally I only know a few from Risca and they are County supporters. Perhaps if I were a City supporter I would likely know a few fellow supporters from the Risca area.
Small percentage.
Not really virtually every night in the leisure centre.
Circuit training 3 days.
Road Runners 2 days
Squash club 2 days.
Mrs Nouble behind the bar.
You virtually get to know everybody by name or just a nod.
Masons/Prince/Tavern/ Commercial.
Seriously most people do get known to you.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote:But surely, now, you wouldn't equate 'fit for purpose' with a figure of 25,000.
If we had a stake in Rodney Parade, it would be fit for purpose. But I would seek then to develop Rodney Parade.

So yes, I think you have my point.
But you've dodged the most important point. Where's the link between fit for purpose and 25,000.
I agree that our future should lie in a joint venture and development of Rodney Parade. To a capacity of 10,000 would fit the purpose. Plymouth, when their original redevelopment was proposed, was a pipe dream (perhaps for 25,000, I can't remember). That was linked to it being, hopefully, selected as a World Cup venue (2004/8) if England was awarded the tournament, and their remaining in the Championship. None of that materialised and only now has the fourth side been opened capacity at a guess 16,000.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:

Small percentage.
Not really virtually every night in the leisure centre.
Circuit training 3 days.
Road Runners 2 days
Squash club 2 days.
Mrs Nouble behind the bar.
You virtually get to know everybody by name or just a nod.
Masons/Prince/Tavern/ Commercial.
Seriously most people do get known to you.
We are undoubtedly going off topic here. Perhaps I need to accept you and others are more gregarious than I.