Re: Do we have a plan B in place

UPTHEPORT wrote:With negotiations on going about the lease at RP I wonder do the board have a plan B in place because basically the WRU have all the cards otherwise
Even if we want to negotiate with them they hold all the cards and IMO we are facing a very 'difficult period' because I honestly believe they dont want us . They can then rip up that pitch , put down a 3/4 G pitch and rent it out on a daily basis probably earning them more money than we pay in rent per month.
As much as many dont like it I think we should be looking at talking with the Council / Newport City Live etc and developing Spytty over the next three seasons or we will be 'royally fecked'
As I see it we need the Athletics to move to another location (Glebelands or Cwmbran), the pitch moved closer to the main stand , temporary stands behind both goals and build a new terrace / Stand opposite the main stand.
Now where can we find £5million or so to do this ????? :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

UPTHEPORT wrote:With negotiations on going about the lease at RP I wonder do the board have a plan B in place because basically the WRU have all the cards otherwise
The only problem with having a Plan B is you have to ask yourself what it could be. Spytty? Forest Green?

It is true the WRU have all the cards. They seem to be in a position to do two things. Firstly they can juice us for everything. Secondly they may feel their interests are better served not renewing our license to play at Rodney Parade.

Kevin Ward has said that the license negotiated by Howard Greenhaf was 'Frankly not very good' Now it's true I am hardly Mr Greenhaf's greatest fan but two points. For all his and its failings Newport County have had a stadium to play at and Greenhaf should be applauded for at least being the only director of Newport County in 32 years to recognise and deal with the major problem we have faced since 1988.

And the second point, good luck in getting a better deal, we're going to need it..

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
The only problem with having a Plan B is you have to ask yourself what it could be. Spytty? Forest Green?

It is true the WRU have all the cards. They seem to be in a position to do two things. Firstly they can juice us for everything. Secondly they may feel their interests are better served not renewing our license to play at Rodney Parade.

Kevin Ward has said that the license negotiated by Howard Greenhaf was 'Frankly not very good' Now it's true I am hardly Mr Greenhaf's greatest fan but two points. For all his and its failings Newport County have had a stadium to play at and Greenhaf should be applauded for at least being the only director of Newport County in 32 years to recognise and deal with the major problem we have faced since 1988.

And the second point, good luck in getting a better deal, we're going to need it..
Thing is Bren if we started building fund now where the money was returnable I think we would get a good chunk I'm not rich but I would dig deep if I knew my money was safe
And it says to the Rugby we are serious

Perhaps we could get NRFC on board as well

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Thing is Bren if we started building fund now where the money was returnable I think we would get a good chunk I'm not rich but I would dig deep if I knew my money was safe
And it says to the Rugby we are serious

Perhaps we could get NRFC on board as well
Agreed. And the City Council. And did we ever consider lobbying the Welsh Assembly?

Years ago I suggested a ring fenced stadium fund. I offered to put £1,000 in. I had David Hando speak to me asking that I drop the idea as the club were involved in a sensitive negotiation.

Whilst I accept that negotiations concerning the stadium lease and discussions around it is sensitive, I fail to see why it cannot be discussed to a certain extent. Whenever there are any issues that are slightly thorny then the BoD appear to put the barriers down and try to deflect what are quite concerning questions for the club and its supporters.

I get that commercial negotiations and the confidentiality attached is one thing but at least engage the fans as to what will happen in the event that negotiations may not work out - which happens day in and day out in business. If the WRU are concerned about the BoD engaging with the fans then it is quite clear who has the whip hand in all of this.

I am reading David Hando's book at the moment and what strikes me about that is the proactivity and robustness of all those that re-established the club. I hope to see the same from the BoD when it comes to the stadium issue.

Mr Figo wrote:Whilst I accept that negotiations concerning the stadium lease and discussions around it is sensitive, I fail to see why it cannot be discussed to a certain extent. Whenever there are any issues that are slightly thorny then the BoD appear to put the barriers down and try to deflect what are quite concerning questions for the club and its supporters.

I get that commercial negotiations and the confidentiality attached is one thing but at least engage the fans as to what will happen in the event that negotiations may not work out - which happens day in and day out in business. If the WRU are concerned about the BoD engaging with the fans then it is quite clear who has the whip hand in all of this.

I am reading David Hando's book at the moment and what strikes me about that is the proactivity and robustness of all those that re-established the club. I hope to see the same from the BoD when it comes to the stadium issue.
Like you, I'm sure we could be told things up to a point. The club could give a series of simple statements like for example;

"The Club are unable to discuss any aspect of the issue with Rodney Parade due to reasons of sensitivity"

"The Club have made initial approaches to two clubs in reasonably close proximity to Newport, with a view to the possibility of playing home games at their stadium, should the need arise. One club appeared more positive than the other. We are unwilling to identify either club at this stage"

"The Club has approached Newport Council or their agents with regard to the possibility of a return to Spytty for home League games should the need arise. It appears unlikely that this option will be available to us for reasons we are not able to discuss"

At least we'd have SOME idea as to where we stand. But to shut up shop completely and say NOTHING is bound to leave many fans feeling excluded, while still being encouraged to contribute money.

newgroundrodney wrote:
Mr Figo wrote:Whilst I accept that negotiations concerning the stadium lease and discussions around it is sensitive, I fail to see why it cannot be discussed to a certain extent. Whenever there are any issues that are slightly thorny then the BoD appear to put the barriers down and try to deflect what are quite concerning questions for the club and its supporters.

Like you, I'm sure we could be told things up to a point. The club could give a series of simple statements like for example;

"The Club are unable to discuss any aspect of the issue with Rodney Parade due to reasons of sensitivity"

"The Club have made initial approaches to two clubs in reasonably close proximity to Newport, with a view to the possibility of playing home games at their stadium, should the need arise. One club appeared more positive than the other. We are unwilling to identify either club at this stage"

"The Club has approached Newport Council or their agents with regard to the possibility of a return to Spytty for home League games should the need arise. It appears unlikely that this option will be available to us for reasons we are not able to discuss"

At least we'd have SOME idea as to where we stand. But to shut up shop completely and say NOTHING is bound to leave many fans feeling excluded, while still being encouraged to contribute money.
Morning Gary, hope all is good with you.

There is another possible reason for the silence. And if it is the case, and again I stress if it makes the silence understandable, although in my view wrong.

The truth may be that the WRU have no intention of renewing County's license to play at Rodney Parade. Or that the WRU are driving a bargain so hard that progress for Newport County as a club becomes impossible.

The options are stark. Spytty, Forest Green, Cwmbran. All will almost certainly see us back in tier 6.

I once wrote as a joke that you know you're in trouble when Uptheport coming good on the Euro millions was your best hope.

Many a true word.........