Re: Season End, what’s your view?

If the season is going to finish after players contracts have run out and teams fighting for promotions or battling relegations end up losing out because their teams were depleted more than teams around them and other teams could potentially strengthen where is the fairness in that.if it can’t be done where everyone finishes games with squads they put together and everyone is on level playing field till the end then the only option is to null and void if not completed by end of June and restart when safe to do so for next season and all have new squads and a pre season at the same time. But how any team below championship will survive with no fans behind closed doors I have no idea and I guess more than a few at that level and above will struggle

Interesting statement from Colchester's chairman. Withdrawn previous offers to their out of contract players - Nouble and Jackson included. Can only see more and more of this happening in the FL.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/april/l ... -chairman/

I guess we at least have numbers who are contracted until end of 2020-21 season so should be able to put an XI out:
King
Leadbitter
Ekpiteta
Haynes
Howkins
Baker
O'Brien
Demetriou
Labadie
Sheehan
Willmott
Dolan
Amond
Abrahams
Azeez

Gonna be tough paying the above with no income coming in if football doesn't restart until Spring 2021. If it comes to it I guess we are less affected by playing behind closed doors than some other clubs, seeing as RP gets the profit from the beer / pie sales.

Not good but potentially unavoidable.

The £125m advance in solidarity payments obviously will not make up losses as it would be accounted for in any future budget. More help or clarity is needed.

Will we follow suit? I think it would be perfectly reasonable for us to do so.

And should those released players find a new club, will they be offered what was on the table from Colchester? I'd say no.

I'm not a great fan of watching our games on TV. When I'm actually at the ground I can forgive a striker miscontrolling a through ball, or someone over-hitting a pass, but when I'm at home the whole sorry spectacle of League 2 football is laid bare. Given that we have been awful to watch, our season is all but over, there will probably be dozens of more compelling matches available on TV at the same time, I genuinely doubt whether I will watch a single game unless we win a few on the bounce and my interest is renewed.

My other concern is over social distancing. Will fans who normally attend games together simply gather at one house and all watch the game together rather than each pay?

My own view, nothing more.

This season is over. I don't see large scale gatherings, be it sport, pubs, whatever starting this side of Christmas.

If I am right on that then next season isn't going to happen. So better by far to complete this season then, losing one season not two.

I see the problem with player contracts. However all professional clubs are in the same boat. When it comes to power within our game the pendulum has swung too far in favour of players and agents. Perhaps this virus at least gives the opportunity if all clubs act in unison to restore some balance.

Oh and before anyone does, please don't equate the paragraph above for me saying that the virus isn't a terrible scourge.