Re: Players Released

llanwern exile wrote:
County Exile wrote:Exile 1976 wrote:-
I’d be happy with Jacko back, the best right back I’ve seen in a County shirt.
I'd be happy with Jackson back too but the best right back I've seen in a County shirt was Richard Walden.
Richard Walden was a wonderful player and 100% agree with you, the best right back I have ever seen in a county shirt and over 60 years I've seen a few.
I think it’s unlikely I’ll ever see a better right back than Walden at the County...or a better centre back than Oakes.

llanwern exile wrote:
County Exile wrote:Exile 1976 wrote:-
I’d be happy with Jacko back, the best right back I’ve seen in a County shirt.
I'd be happy with Jackson back too but the best right back I've seen in a County shirt was Richard Walden.
Richard Walden was a wonderful player and 100% agree with you, the best right back I have ever seen in a county shirt and over 60 years I've seen a few.
There are two views on Richard Walden.

Some of us think he was far and away the best full back County have ever had.

Others are too young to have seen him play.

:grin:

Ryan Jackson,made many strong surges down the flank but,his final ball was a disappointment.He either hit the first man,over hit it straight out for a throw or sliced it.He couldn't calm himself to do his hard work justice,if he could he would have been a great signing.Plenty of effort and that's why he was liked by the fans.
Richard Walden was discribed as a Rolls Royce defender.I remember one game at Somerton when he scored twice,I don't think he scored another goal in his time with us.He did lose his place in the team in his last season,not sure if he had an injury or if his legs were going.We had Terry Lees and brought Rod Thomas in for a few games as well.Thomas only played about three times so his legs had gone probably.I remember Walden receiving a plaque on the pitch for his service in the final home game against Swindon.

I played against Terry Lees in a Sunday league game in the 1980s. He behaved like an utter **** straight from kick-off, wandering straight up the field into the goal-hanging position, and being constantly flagged offside. His team mates were brassed off but a bit intimidated by him. Finally one of them lost it and pleaded with him to get onside. Terry told him to eff off. The ref called him over. Terry told the ref to eff off. Terry was sent off.

Besides that I blame Terry Lees for all our woes. We were top of the third tier in 81/82 when he missed that penalty at Bristol City that would've put us 2-0 up. Still, forgive and forget, eh? ;-)

JonD wrote:I played against Terry Lees in a Sunday league game in the 1980s. He behaved like an utter **** straight from kick-off, wandering straight up the field into the goal-hanging position, and being constantly flagged offside. His team mates were brassed off but a bit intimidated by him. Finally one of them lost it and pleaded with him to get onside. Terry told him to eff off. The ref called him over. Terry told the ref to eff off. Terry was sent off.

Besides that I blame Terry Lees for all our woes. We were top of the third tier in 81/82 when he missed that penalty at Bristol City that would've put us 2-0 up. Still, forgive and forget, eh? ;-)
No.
I got dumped by a Newport girl nearly 40 years ago. About the same time as the Terry Lees miss at Bristol City. I still hold a grudge against both. A grudge is only a truly enjoyable grudge if you can make it last a lifetime.

Percy plunkett wrote:Ryan Jackson,made many strong surges down the flank but,his final ball was a disappointment.He either hit the first man,over hit it straight out for a throw or sliced it.He couldn't calm himself to do his hard work justice,if he could he would have been a great signing.Plenty of effort and that's why he was liked by the fans.
Richard Walden was discribed as a Rolls Royce defender.I remember one game at Somerton when he scored twice,I don't think he scored another goal in his time with us.He did lose his place in the team in his last season,not sure if he had an injury or if his legs were going.We had Terry Lees and brought Rod Thomas in for a few games as well.Thomas only played about three times so his legs had gone probably.I remember Walden receiving a plaque on the pitch for his service in the final home game against Swindon.
I agree with you on Jackson looked great but final ball often disappointing I think that is the storey of his career.

County ranger wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Ryan Jackson,made many strong surges down the flank but,his final ball was a disappointment.He either hit the first man,over hit it straight out for a throw or sliced it.He couldn't calm himself to do his hard work justice,if he could he would have been a great signing.Plenty of effort and that's why he was liked by the fans.
I agree with you on Jackson looked great but final ball often disappointing I think that is the storey of his career.
Have to disagree with you about Jackson's final ball. Occasionally I grant you it was disappointing, but usually it was total sh!te.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
County ranger wrote:
Have to disagree with you about Jackson's final ball. Occasionally I grant you it was disappointing, but usually it was total sh!te.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I always felt the same. He looked incredibly dangerous, but rarely produced anything meaningful from memory. I'd still have him back at the moment mind.