Re: Season Tickets

faerun exile wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:It's time now to say to pause this season until next year. Carry on with the outstanding fixtures next year (short season). OK, there will be changes in players etc... but there is not going to be a win-all situation. Maybe have another competition somewhere if clubs need more fixtures?
Why would they do that we ourselves like a lot of teams have little to play for

Start a new season
You totally miss the point.
Its not about us but the clubs who have a decent chance of promotion.
Barrow must be tamping in the Nationwide also.
Rubbish. Carlisle and Morecambe are just two examples from EFL2 of clubs that have announced their retained list. Carlisle have 6 pros and Morecambe 5 on their books beyond June. How competitive do you think they will be should the 19/20 season recommence in 2021 ? Gonna save their limited resources to put a squad together for the 21/22 season. Recommencing the 19/20 season in 21 will be farcical.
All things considered whats proposed by the EFL to conclude the 19/20 season is the most sensible, while also accepting that it isn't perfect by any means.
As far as I am aware there is still every chance that Barrow and Harrogate will be promoted. Bury need to be replaced and the EFL are keen to ensure relegation is maintained from each division, so its likely that Stevenage will go down even though the EFL2 clubs have just voted against relegation.
My view is that the 20/21 season should start when it is safe to do so, maybe behind closed doors initially. If indeed the season cannot start until 2021 extend it through the summer months. Cancel the tin pot cup, maybe even the FA / League cups and league play offs should the number of games need to be reduced. Knock on could well be a delayed start to the 21/22 season, so be it. Quite how many clubs will still be in business come 2021 is anyone's guess.
Rubbish to you also.
Once this is all over start a season where we left off.

Couple of games a week.

Everything decided

All sorted.

Fortnights break then off we go afresh.
Forget all the Cups for one season.
The following year back to normal.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
faerun exile wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:It's time now to say to pause this season until next year. Carry on with the outstanding fixtures next year (short season). OK, there will be changes in players etc... but there is not going to be a win-all situation. Maybe have another competition somewhere if clubs need more fixtures?

Start a new season
You totally miss the point.
Its not about us but the clubs who have a decent chance of promotion.
Barrow must be tamping in the Nationwide also.
Rubbish. Carlisle and Morecambe are just two examples from EFL2 of clubs that have announced their retained list. Carlisle have 6 pros and Morecambe 5 on their books beyond June. How competitive do you think they will be should the 19/20 season recommence in 2021 ? Gonna save their limited resources to put a squad together for the 21/22 season. Recommencing the 19/20 season in 21 will be farcical.
All things considered whats proposed by the EFL to conclude the 19/20 season is the most sensible, while also accepting that it isn't perfect by any means.
As far as I am aware there is still every chance that Barrow and Harrogate will be promoted. Bury need to be replaced and the EFL are keen to ensure relegation is maintained from each division, so its likely that Stevenage will go down even though the EFL2 clubs have just voted against relegation.
My view is that the 20/21 season should start when it is safe to do so, maybe behind closed doors initially. If indeed the season cannot start until 2021 extend it through the summer months. Cancel the tin pot cup, maybe even the FA / League cups and league play offs should the number of games need to be reduced. Knock on could well be a delayed start to the 21/22 season, so be it. Quite how many clubs will still be in business come 2021 is anyone's guess.
Rubbish to you also.
Once this is all over start a season where we left off.

Couple of games a week.

Everything decided

All sorted.

Fortnights break then off we go afresh.
Forget all the Cups for one season.
The following year back to normal.
Hi, hope all's good.

I see your argument and if social distancing ends before the end of October you may well be right. However I think crowds will not be allowed in stadiums for any purpose until there is either a vaccine or effective treatment. My best guess is February.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote:I suppose the one option that won't happen is voiding the season. I suppose that could have introduced the bizarre scenario of Bury's owner saying since season 19/20 didn't happen, then Bury can't have been expelled from the league in season 2019/20.
With that type of thinking you should have been a barrister. Strange as it might seem that's arguable. :|

Edit.

The more I think about this the better the argument becomes. All games are voided. That means that for the purposes of the League rules those games never took place. Bury were expelled from the League for failing to fulfill League fixtures. However neither did anybody else play those League fixtures.

It may be a loop-hole but if I were Bury I'd jump through.
However, I'm pretty sure they weren't expelled for failing to fulfil fixtures. The EFL suspended their fixtures for other reasons. Seems a long time ago but I believe it was all financial. By the time they were expelled, most players had left because of unpaid wages. I believe Tom Miller was the last man standing. I'll check it out.

Exile 1976 wrote:I just don’t see how you can finish this season off after next season has finished and maintain any sort of integrity due to promotion/relegation matters etc.
To me it sounds an absolutely ridiculous suggestion.
Afternoon.

Didn't say that.

Goodness knows when football starts again one maybe can assume it will be a full season.

Start with the remaining games which will take a few weeks.

Sort promotion and relegation out.
2 week break then off we go with a full season.
Just 100% league games nothing else.
Not rocket science

Out of interest as we know we have nothing to play for but if we were in the top 3 when Football stopped the scenarios on here would be quite different.

Stan

Fine mate and enjoying this glorious weather.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:I just don’t see how you can finish this season off after next season has finished and maintain any sort of integrity due to promotion/relegation matters etc.
Afternoon.

Didn't say that.

Goodness knows when football starts again one maybe can assume it will be a full season.

Not rocket science

Out of interest as we know we have nothing to play for but if we were in the top 3 when Football stopped the scenarios on here would be quite different.

Stan

I didn’t say you did.
However, I have read people saying that this should be the case.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Afternoon.

Didn't say that.

Not rocket science

Stan

I didn’t say you did.
However, I have read people saying that this should be the case.
My point is that we are in danger of losing two seasons. Better to write next season off and finish this season then. That way only one full season is lost not two.

I agree with Stan, but don't think things will pan out that way. I thought (and still believe) the only fair way to end the season is to play all games regardless of how long it took, so if it's not safe to start playing Lge2 matches until Sept do so then. If that means we delay next season's start then so be it.

I'd even go along with merging the 2 seasons, so no promotion or relegation but end this season now and start next season (with the same teams, same points as when this season abruptly ended) and play on next season. If this meant the teams safely play 70+ games over the 2 seasons then that's a good way of determining who deserves to go up or down.

The reason why it's taking ages to get a decision is because the EFL want to avoid future legal challenges (e.g. Stevenage suing if they get relegated) by saying, ah but you clubs cited to do things this way so not our fault

I make no apologies for saying this again. This Coronavirus issue is with us for the long term.

Surely the best solution is to pick this season up next year on exactly the same date that this season was suspended. Finish the outstanding fixtures then. All that means is that it takes two years to finish one season. In the grand scheme of things, so bloody what. Life is more important than football.

pembsexile wrote:I make no apologies for saying this again. This Coronavirus issue is with us for the long term.

Surely the best solution is to pick this season up next year on exactly the same date that this season was suspended. Finish the outstanding fixtures then. All that means is that it takes two years to finish one season. In the grand scheme of things, so bloody what. Life is more important than football.
Who pays the players for the next 9 months or so ?
Who refunds Sky, BT. Amazon and other sponsors if we lose a season ?

Every team would need to sign maybe six or eight players to replace out of contract and retired players. Mid table teams would do it on the cheap merely to get nine matches played, others would strengthen to gain a playoff place. Relative strengths of current teams would be totally skewed. Results would be nothing like what would have happen if there were no virus.

pembsexile wrote:I make no apologies for saying this again. This Coronavirus issue is with us for the long term.

Sorry, are you saying don’t play any football until next March??

Exile 1976 wrote:

I can 't and don't speak for Mike. However if, I stress if, that is what he means my view is that it may be impossible to play before March. In response to the points made by Excessbee above I see all the difficulties, but if somebody had said in December 'In a few weeks time everyone will have to stop work for months on end' we'd have all wondered how the Hell we'd manage that.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

Start a new season
I agree, starting a new season when viable is the best way to proceed.

However what do you do if the new season can't begin until February 2021?
I guess the answer depends on whether you consider it is viable to start a new season in February.
That's my point. We can finish this season then and accept we have lost a season, or we can lose two seasons.
In making the decision to finish this season early, the clubs seem to have decided otherwise. Once promotion and relegation issues are finalised, I can't see them going back on that.
You may be right on that. Although promotion and relegation issues are a minefield.

However doesn't alter the fact that if there is no football this year I'm going to take great delight in repeatedly and annoyingly saying I told you so. :grin:
Fair enough and if there is any football this year I will do likewise :grin:

Exile 1976 wrote:

Yes, unfortunately. For the lower leagues that is. I just don’t see how lower league fixtures can be completed without the back up (facility and money wise) that the Premier League has. That is a different scenario. They have the back up, we don’t.

It is a long term issue this bloody Coronavirus. We need to realise that. There is no vaccine in sight yet. Nor herd immunity. Normality is not going to be realised for some time.

It is a desperately sad time we find ourselves in. Financially wise, why can’t the Premier league put their hand in their pockets to protect the lower league clubs.