Fair play rules.

A number of people on here often mention sanctions for breach of fair play rules. I have always believed them, and posted on here on numerous occasions, that they are a paper tiger.

If I were the type of shallow person who smugly enjoyed saying 'I told you so' I suppose I would comment that I see Manchester City's European ban has been overturned this morning. I admit it, I am shallow.

Told you so. :grin:

Re: Fair play rules.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:As someone posted on Twitter earlier, "punishable by fine" translates as "legal for those able to afford it".
Just because I'm a lawyer does not mean my opinion is any more valid than yours, but whilst I'm as cynical myself about this it's for a different reason.

As I see it this was a negotiated settlement. UEFA know that they will lose, Manchester City don't want the hassle and the 'fine' allows UEFA to save face.

Agree 100% with you guys.

My bigger gripe with the Champions League though is this.....

It's meant to be for CHAMPIONS only, the clue is in the name. So why are teams that finish 2nd to 5th allowed to enter? In my view, the CL should be for Liverpool only, the others can join the Europa League.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Agree 100% with you guys.

My bigger gripe with the Champions League though is this.....

It's meant to be for CHAMPIONS only, the clue is in the name. So why are teams that finish 2nd to 5th allowed to enter? In my view, the CL should be for Liverpool only, the others can join the Europa League.
But if it was for Liverpool only they'd have to play with themselves

I believe there was something going on behind the scenes regarding negotiations. On the BBC website earlier today before the appeal outcome was known, Pep was saying that he had every confidence that the City appeal would be upheld and they would be OK. How could he have possibly known prior to the official announcement. I thought it was all supposed to be behind closed doors. Like lots of football issues these days, it stinks of money. Just my opinion.

pembsexile wrote:I believe there was something going on behind the scenes regarding negotiations. On the BBC website earlier today before the appeal outcome was known, Pep was saying that he had every confidence that the City appeal would be upheld and they would be OK. How could he have possibly known prior to the official announcement. I thought it was all supposed to be behind closed doors. Like lots of football issues these days, it stinks of money. Just my opinion.
Hi Mike,

It is the norm that the parties in civil disputes are given the result and a draft copy of the judgement a few days before it is released. The stipulation being that the parties are embargoed from divulging the result.

Agree it's all about money and that it stinks.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:I believe there was something going on behind the scenes regarding negotiations. On the BBC website earlier today before the appeal outcome was known, Pep was saying that he had every confidence that the City appeal would be upheld and they would be OK. How could he have possibly known prior to the official announcement. I thought it was all supposed to be behind closed doors. Like lots of football issues these days, it stinks of money. Just my opinion.
Hi Mike,

It is the norm that the parties in civil disputes are given the result and a draft copy of the judgement a few days before it is released. The stipulation being that the parties are embargoed from divulging the result.

Thanks for the info’ Brendan. I guess the stipulation applies to organisations outside the national boundaries as well then. CAS, UEFA and a Premier League club were all involved at some stage.

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info’ Brendan. I guess the stipulation applies to organisations outside the national boundaries as well then. CAS, UEFA and a Premier League club were all involved at some stage.
Obviously I don't know, as the norm I spoke of is in the High Court in the UK. That said it would make perfect sense if that applied in the court of sports arbitration.

And you can see why. Given a couple of days parties are likely to give a more measured response.

My life would have been so much easier had I possessed a 30 second time machine. Whenever I said or done anything which I have regretted I knew within 30 seconds. :grin: