Re: Wycombe or Oxford?

Flippin Wycombe. Typical sh1thousery, limited possession, iffy tactics bordering on poor gamesmanship yet they beat my other team Oxford. 2 chances, 2 goalkeeping mistakes and they win despite 25% possession stats. Their off-field antics were, once again, a disgrace - loud staff congregating in the stands cheering and jeering, making everyone wait to restart the second half.

Don't be fooled by their 'small club, tiny budget' ethos either. They've survived in the past on a tight budget but were taken over by Americans a couple of years ago. It's well-known in footballing circles that they're an unofficial feeder club to QPR.

They've a game plan of spoiling tactics and I'd hate to support them. But, in all honesty, they take their chances and based on the first half of the season plus 3 play-off games they just about deserve it. Ainsworth is a good manager and once he moves on Wycombe will be back where they belong, non-league. If he stays I can see them doing better than Luton and Barnsley, perhaps a mid-table finish next season.

It's not football as most people know it but it has been very effective. As someone who grew up in and supported Oxford, I need a pint right now. However, I live in Wales now and the pubs can only open their beer gardens. A pint, outdoors in the Welsh rain. Maybe not.

As a local league referee, I'd have given Wycombe's penalty, their lad got to the ball just ahead of GK Eastwood in a 50/50 collision so it was inevitable. But, if I'd have heard whoever shouted 'Leave it" to the Oxford defender Moore then, as a ref, if it had been a Wycombe player shouting that I'd have cautioned him and awarded Oxford an indirect free-kick. Ref tonight can have no excuse in an empty stadium. I listened to the game on the radio and I heard it. But, again, another example of poor gamesmanship no doubt.

Despite the defeat it was good to watch the highlights on Quest, to see an ageing but excellent Martin O'Neil give fulsome praise to the job Ainsworth has done and alongside him a lovely co-presenter who brightened my evening.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Flippin Wycombe. Typical sh1thousery, limited possession, iffy tactics bordering on poor gamesmanship yet they beat my other team Oxford. 2 chances, 2 goalkeeping mistakes and they win despite 25% possession stats. Their off-field antics were, once again, a disgrace - loud staff congregating in the stands cheering and jeering, making everyone wait to restart the second half.

Don't be fooled by their 'small club, tiny budget' ethos either. They've survived in the past on a tight budget but were taken over by Americans a couple of years ago. It's well-known in footballing circles that they're an unofficial feeder club to QPR.

They've a game plan of spoiling tactics and I'd hate to support them. But, in all honesty, they take their chances and based on the first half of the season plus 3 play-off games they just about deserve it. Ainsworth is a good manager and once he moves on Wycombe will be back where they belong, non-league. If he stays I can see them doing better than Luton and Barnsley, perhaps a mid-table finish next season.

It's not football as most people know it but it has been very effective. As someone who grew up in and supported Oxford, I need a pint right now. However, I live in Wales now and the pubs can only open their beer gardens. A pint, outdoors in the Welsh rain. Maybe not.

Wow....I’ve read some bitter posts on this forum after defeats but this is the best yet :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Exile 1976 wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Flippin Wycombe. Typical sh1thousery, limited possession, iffy tactics bordering on poor gamesmanship yet they beat my other team Oxford. 2 chances, 2 goalkeeping mistakes and they win despite 25% possession stats. Their off-field antics were, once again, a disgrace - loud staff congregating in the stands cheering and jeering, making everyone wait to restart the second half.

Wow....I’ve read some bitter posts on this forum after defeats but this is the best yet :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Yes, you do get an inkling there's someone not fond of the result! :mrgreen: