Re: Grandstand: Exiles v Exeter

4 captains on the pitch, Labs, Sheehan, Podge and Mickey and all I could hear was Norman Parselle shouting on the terrace.

The players didn't know what to do. They couldn't adapt to the circumstances. There was little communication and little support play to assist the ball carrier.

Bringing off Priestley for Scrimshaw as a corner was due to take place...obviously needed Jake's height???

excessbee wrote:Why didn't we attack Exeter down the middle and commit them to making tackles in and around their box? We should have been able to free up a player in a goalscoring position.
Spot on here. Exactly what I was thinking as the second half unfolded. Was getting sick of it going wide, why weren't we mixing it up more!!!

I'm so angry at what I've witnessed.

If flynn can't outwit a team of 9 men for 60 minutes with his tactics then there is no hope. I'd give him 3 games to see if he's still got the authority in the dressing room.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
Mr Figo wrote:[
Here we go - we lose two loan players, who along with Sheehan, were the players that made this side tick and immediately we start getting folk pressing the sack button..
It’s hardly ‘immediately’ though is it? We’ve been on a shocking run for months now. Teams like Northampton and Bristol Rovers had similar results and both acted. How long are we going to continue giving MF credit for saving us from relegation plus a couple of decent but hardly earth-shattering cup runs?

Plus, I’m not talking about sacking him. I think he should realise he can’t get any more out of this squad and resign.
Resign? He would be walking out on a contract and employment. Hardly likely to do that.

Telford was always going to be ‘up for this game’ because he’s ex-Argyle.

Hooking 2 players before half-time is something you do if you’re 0-3 down and the game plan has gone out of the window. Substituting a sub (Collins v Brighton) also shows bad decisions and kills player morale. Comments from Big Kev recently suggested a lack of dressing-room harmony.

We can’t keep using the pitch as an excuse, I’ve seen better teams play on worse pitches in the Gwent County leagues, plus we use it every week so it ought to be our advantage compared to visiting teams who come here annually.

30 odd shots on goal but just a few on target says a lot. 20 corners yet none successful says as much. Lack of tactical nous to break down teams even when it’s 11v9 shows we need to freshen things up. A change could be the best thing for all parties.

In 52 years of supporting both clubs,I thought I had seen it all but,I am stunned by the lack of ideas shown tonight.Nearly every free kick,corner or throw went to one of theirs or over hit straight out,crosses straight to the keeper.Sheehan staying in his own half and just passing to MD or Lewis.Most second balls falling to them,how,they only had eight outfield players.I honestly thought when they broke away in injury time,they were going to score.Their players should have been chasing shadows,we scrapped a draw against nine men,only we could manage that.

Looks like Flynn sent Hatswell out

From BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56064890
Newport assistant manager Wayne Hatswell told BBC Sport Wales:

"We are disappointed, a lack of quality, the effort was there but we just couldn't score.

"The longer it went on the more it looked like we wouldn't score, but we got a good cross in, in the end.

"The way the pitch it, is becomes a leveller. It's just the way it is... it is so tough to score on that pitch.

"They got a chance and put it away and it gave them something to cling on to. They defended well, we are disappointed but at the end we will say it is a point gained, it might prove a decent point."

The Newport wrote:I can not believe what I'm reading? One minute you what to get rid of Robbie Wilmott? Calling him all sorts, and the next minute you what him back, and now some of you are saying how much better the team would be with him playing????
I was thinking that as well. He used to be roundly criticised for being a passenger when he came on and now he's suddenly the only player who could turn our bad form around. I certainly don't know the answer to the terrible run we are in, but some posters here are going over the top.

OLDSTER wrote:but some posters here are going over the top.
Posters on a football message board going over the top? I find that as difficult to accept as the proposition that it sometimes snows in January.

:grin:

Edit.

I should though point out that expressing the opinion that at the moment County are total shite would not in my opinion be an untoward position to take.

I won't hold back

MF needs to be replaced NOW

Tonight is the straw that IMO broke the camels back.
We have been poor since early December. Our results back this up. One win in the last 10..That against the team at the bottom of the league, who out played us in the first half and should have been a few goals up before we scored. Guess what, they managed to play football on the pitch that seems to be the get out clause MF and WH keep using as excuses for their failings.
How much longer can MF live with him saving us from the drop a few seasons ago?

The BOD backed him in the window by signing a striker we couldn't really afford. We already had 6 strikers at the club,. How many does he need?
What he failed to do was address our lack of creativity. We could have Messi and Kane playing up front for us but he would make them look ordinary because of the service they would get.

I am one of Wilmotts biggest critics on here. Since MF got rid of him and Abrahams to help finance Maynard wages he has changed the formation to 4-4- 2..Using wingers. The only position Willmott should have played. He used him as a central midfielder or wingback but never in his only position?????
Only a manager who doesn't know what he is doing could do that.

He didn't even have the balls to face the press after last night's shambles, sending out WH... Why was that? Scared the press may ask him a few uncomfortable questions about his management???

Sorry, I know the pitch is awful but to keep using it as THE EXCUSE for our poor performances is wearing a bit thin..
Playing against 9 men for 45 mins... against 10 for 81 minutes and putting on a performance like that.. Only 5 shots on target is not down to the pitch