Re: County to play at Cardiff

George Street-Bridge wrote:I see the Ospreys hosted the Dragons at Bridgend last night with the Swans home to Middlesbrough in the afternoon. Good surface with the Welsh Premier suspended. Obviously the Ospreys embrace the regional concept more than the Dragons do.
Or maybe the Ospreys don't control the Liberty in the way Dragons control Rodney Parade.

Both are governed by the priority of fixtures rule. I don't know when the Ospreys-Dragons fixture was drawn, but it looks like they just said fair enough and got on with it. And got out of the switch a game on grass rather than mud - which obviously suited the Dragons even more as they won.

OK any ground used by a region as a fallback would need to be Covid-secure, but the Ospreys have obviously been prepared to invest in that at Bridgend.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Both are governed by the priority of fixtures rule. I don't know when the Ospreys-Dragons fixture was drawn, but it looks like they just said fair enough and got on with it. And got out of the switch a game on grass rather than mud - which obviously suited the Dragons even more as they won.

OK any ground used by a region as a fallback would need to be Covid-secure, but the Ospreys have obviously been prepared to invest in that at Bridgend.
I suppose the way of testing which is true is to see how often Ospreys have played away from the Liberty and how soon after such an away day Swansea City have been at home.

Genuinely don't know the answer to this. But what exactly does primacy of fixture equate to. Same time obviously. But same day? Within 48 hours? I don't know and would be interested if anyone does.

I'm thinking of the EFL rule about member clubs being able to insist on 48 hours clear if there's a potential threat to the EFL game going ahead.

I've always thought about this in the context of it pissing down midweek, but of course it would be possible to say there's a potential risk to any game at this time of year and plan using the fallback ground from the outset.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I'm thinking of the EFL rule about member clubs being able to insist on 48 hours clear if there's a potential threat to the EFL game going ahead.

I've always thought about this in the context of it pissing down midweek, but of course it would be possible to say there's a potential risk to any game at this time of year and plan using the fallback ground from the outset.
I checked. It is 48 hours if the game may be threatened. However it also stated that the club must be 'acting reasonably'. And reasonableness is a matter of perspective. It seems to me that as things presently stand County can insist a Dragons game be called off. But all the Dragons have to do is say 'You're being unreasonable'.

There being no arbiter I suspect whoever owns the ground makes the rules.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I see the Ospreys hosted the Dragons at Bridgend last night with the Swans home to Middlesbrough in the afternoon. Good surface with the Welsh Premier suspended. Obviously the Ospreys embrace the regional concept more than the Dragons do.
Don't the Ospreys play one match at Bridgend a season? It might not necessarily be a full-blown Pro14 match, it might be a pre-season friendly.

The Dragons could easily switch their three remaining matches in March to Ystrad Mynach (their training base) or any of the clubs in the region as any of them would be Covid-secure environments.

wattsville_boy wrote:
Don't the Ospreys play one match at Bridgend a season? It might not necessarily be a full-blown Pro14 match, it might be a pre-season friendly.

The Dragons could easily switch their three remaining matches in March to Ystrad Mynach (their training base) or any of the clubs in the region as any of them would be Covid-secure environments.
Ospreys have played 3 or 4 Pro14 matches at different grounds around their region this season. They make a bit of a fuss about being committed to taking matches around the region.

I don't think moving matches can be done that easily. Pretty sure the next couple of Dragons home matches are TV games & Ystrad Mynach certainly doesn't have facilities for that. Plus you need all the equipment, ISDN lines etc, for the media that Glyn mentioned in a previous post.