Re: Euros thread

JonD wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
excessbee wrote:And she is totally biased in her comments.
I think she talks a lot of sense. I can’t see that she is biased to any team apart from saying that after the grief he suffered she hopes Morata proves himself. She does talk a lot though.

She knows her stuff. Can’t remember any commentator criticising one teams centre halves and the other teams full backs during a game.
By and large I did enjoy what I heard of her analysis. It was several notches above the likes of Savage. I just couldn't abide her voice so kept muting.
She had verbal diarrhoea.

JonD wrote:When France subbed in Thuram last night I genuinely thought "Crikey. He must be knocking on". It was his dad I was thinking of (now aged 49) :)

Brilliant couple of games. What odds England being involved in a goalfest tonight? ;)
Brilliant two games yesterday. Great entertainment.

Don’t think it will be any goalfest Jon, in fact, I don’t think there will be any goals at all - going for 0-0. England’s best chance will be to win it in normal time but I don’t think they will. The longer the game goes on, the more the odds shorten for Germany imo. As for penalties, hmmm, they will be big favourites for that one.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
CathedralCounty wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote:That's just the result the tournament needs. Neat and efficient overcomes flahy and careless.
I'm enjoying the moronic comments of the pundits. Up until now it was 'If you put the ball in the right area something might happen'. However 'It's always hard to see a big side go out' is going to take some beating.
Roy Keane cracks me up - the self-styled hard man is just a bit of a grump really ('Bit harsh Roy') butts up against the overly jovial 'Wrighty' and barely contains his [rightful] disgust that Declan Rice & Jack Grealish switched allegiances to Enger-land – love his withering put downs ‘you’ve got to do better than that’

Roy Keene walked out on the Irish team in Saipan. It may well be that his criticism of the Irish FA were correct but he should have stayed and made his criticism after the World Cup had finished. So he is clearly the last person to criticize Rice or Grealish.

Further when Ireland lost 4-0 to Spain in the 2012 Euro's Keane had a meltdown on RTE. Having a go at the fans for their rendition of 'The Fields of Athenry'. According to the 'Cork Wunderkid' the fans who sang their hearts out supporting their team shouldn't have done so at Ireland's national disgrace.. News Roy, many of those people earn far less in a year than you do in a week. They'd saved up and were determined to have a good time.

Roy Keene, an exceptionally talented footballer and a total pr!ck.
'Champagne Football' (up there with best ever football books) covers this turbulent period in some detail - agree Keane is not a bastion of nationalism and loyalty himself and treated MMcC poorly I'm not fan of his just find him mildly amusing, I genuinely and not being facetious here, believe he has mental health issues (I'm not kidding) perhaps I/we should not find that amusing especially as someone who has suffered mental health issues myself? That said he did help to 'mastermind' O'Neill's anti football which did for Wales in a play off.

Also I just couldn't resist a dig @ JG & DR - feel they let the FAI and the Irish footballing public down - just my own view (albeit both are excellent footballers and despite some inevitable missteps seems decent young chaps).

https://www.waterstones.com/book/champa ... 1844884933

Two very entertaining games yesterday and the sort of football entertainment I tend to believe I watched as a boy! :grin:
I felt the criticism of Pogba ( I’m not a Manure fan by the way ) was a bit ott. He was one of the best performers in that French side and criticism should more sensibly have been made of the French full backs who I thought were dreadful all night, I’m pretty sure they didn’t win a header from balls into the box until the second half and not often then!

mad norm wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Have to say the England game tonight was a major anti-climax after last night's games. Thought the game was decided by Mullers' glaring miss.
Miserable git
Can't argue with that. It is my most common description.
Nevertheless, whatever the games entertainment level in getting through,it has no bearing on the next round. It's how a team performs in the next game is the only relevant thing now. Of course a team that doesn't concede a goal doesn't lose,

At the start of the 8pm match I was firmly in support of the outsiders, Ukraine, but by the end of 90 minutes I was contemplating never watching another game in my life.

The Ukrainians feigning of injuries was outrageous. I hope England hammer them.