Re: Euros thread

There's one simple answer to the booing of national anthems for the playoffs and that is not to play them.
These games are not internationals and therefore no one is representing their country and are not necessary.
Newport and the rest of the Wales based clubs play in the English football league and are not representing the FAW.
Also the vast majority of the players are not Welsh.
As for booing the national anthems at internationals, if you don't like them, just stand there in silence or walk off to the toilet or bar and come back when they have finished.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
County Exile wrote:cb wrote:-
I will add though that it want made clear that they were going to play both National Anthems and God Save The Queen was on first. I would like to think that had it been communicated better that both would be played it would have been better received
How many times do we need to play at Wembley before it becomes clear to some? Both anthems were played in both the Wrexham and Tranmere matches.
Good point Rob. I think there is a similarity for supporters between the ‘taking the knee’ and listening to national anthems. If you don’t support either just stand in silence, no need to boo. Having said that, and being in the Forces for 23 years I have stood to attention to it quite a few times, sung it as well.
Hi Mike,

This must be right. Strange as it may seem I'm on the same page as rncfc when it comes to being a staunch republican. I simply don't understand the concept of monarchy. Also because I believe in freedom of expression I also believe that rncfc has every right, if he so chooses to boo God save the Queen. But here's the thing.

Along with the right to express our views, we must also accept the right of others to criticize our views. So for those who wish to boo national anthems, feel free to do so. But please spare us your snowflake little whines that I and perhaps others find booing anthems pathetic.
Hi Brendan,

I’m glad you say ‘this must be right’. However, I am somewhat confused with the response.

I have trawled the last few pages of this thread on this messageboard and I see no evidence of ‘snowflake little whines’ regarding calling people who choose to boo anthems pathetic. The closest I can find to that is me saying ‘if you don’t agree with either, just stand in silence, don’t boo’ which you agreed with.

Perhaps you were referring to reports of this nature in the media where some smug politicians have mentioned this about the booing (it being pathetic). I’m glad to say - there has been none on this messageboard so far.

Regarding the Monarchy and Republicanism, I am neither a Monarchist nor a republican. I do believe that in a democratic society we need to have checks on the Executive. The Legislature doesn’t seem to be doing a very good job. The Executive has been marching towards a presidential system for decades. Boris is doing a Presidential briefing as I write this. Heaven forbid.

This country has developed constitutional monarchism and for all its faults with our British experience I cannot see a better alternative that has been proposed. Yet.

My points on anthems and taking the knee.

I was at Wembley and did not stand for "God Save The Queen"; no need to boo, just register your disinterest in the Unionist anthem. I've given up hoping they will replace it with "Jerusalem" or "I vow to thee my country" both of them better and more English.

The classiest response I saw to taking the knee at the Euros was by the Danish team, who didn't observe the practice, but instead stood and applauded the England team for doing so, because they realised what England's players were up against (their own government).

One comment that grated with me: Newport County afc have no "foreign" supporters; only Newport County afc supporters.

North London Exile wrote:My points on anthems and taking the knee.

I was at Wembley and did not stand for "God Save The Queen"; no need to boo, just register your disinterest in the Unionist anthem. I've given up hoping they will replace it with "Jerusalem" or "I vow to thee my country" both of them better and more English.
I had always thought that the National Anthem should be about the Country and not he current Monarch.

It's been happening for nearly 100 years, the 1923 FA Cup Final had gates forced, royal box ransacked.

Probably had balanced coverage back then, not the current mass 'I'm offended and I demand you are too' hysteria.

One other thing is evident, the amount of celebrities, MP's and various other free loading parasites piping-up about what they experienced suggests the ticketing distribution was corrupt in the first place.

Farage being jostled in his St George waistcoat springs to mind.
But the atmosphere was much better inside - usually is if you're in hospitality at someone else's expense.......

whoareya wrote:It's been happening for nearly 100 years, the 1923 FA Cup Final had gates forced, royal box ransacked.

Probably had balanced coverage back then, not the current mass 'I'm offended and I demand you are too' hysteria.

One other thing is evident, the amount of celebrities, MP's and various other free loading parasites piping-up about what they experienced suggests the ticketing distribution was corrupt in the first place.

Farage being jostled in his St George waistcoat springs to mind.
But the atmosphere was much better inside - usually is if you're in hospitality at someone else's expense.......
It wasn't the people who were in hospitality who had the occasion ruined. It was the real fans who were able to get tickets.

The sooner we all address the fact that there are a small number of unpleasant yobs who attach themselves to our game the better.

Snitch on them I say.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Fair play, this does stink https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -companies

And it doesn't include any freebies for the final.
I agree. However it happens incrementally. Who could object to the local MP sitting in the directors box at a football match Aberdare Athletic? Who could object to a member of a Select Committee on overseas development visiting a fresh water project in South Sudan? And bit by bit the MP for Taff Valley West, finds himself sitting in the Royal Box at Wembley, and the MP for Bumpstead in the Shire finds herself inspecting the wine growing region of the Dordogne.

'Throw the vandals in court,
Say the bells of Newport'.

What I would like to know is - how the hell did betting companies get their grubby hands on Corporate hospitality tickets to be able give them away in the first place. What leverage do they have with UEFA to be able to get them?

I would love to see a serious investigative journalist do a report on Corporate hospitality and how major organisations like FIFA, the IOC and UEFA work with them. There is an opportunity for Panorama. Go for it.

It is the fans money, via gaming, ticket prices and tv subscriptions that provides this money for these organisations in the first place. Where is the accountability? Is there any transparency? That is a government buzzword we hear a lot of. I have never heard it mentioned with regards to Corporate hospitality. It’s all bull***t.

Snouts in the trough indeed.

Amberexile wrote:For supporters who actually follow their team and attend matches on a regular basis, getting a ticket for finals, should your team reach them, is fairly easy.
Hi Paul,

What about a fan on a limited income, working shifts on minimum who can maybe get to see his/her team four or five times a season? They are real fans too. Some of us have been lucky in life, at least financially, we should not forget that.

I’m afraid that posters information and instincts are right, it’s all as corrupt as f¥ck! However it’s not as if we didn’t know the words even if we’re all a bit rusty on the melody
“ it’s the same the whole world over
It’s the poor that gets the blame
It’s the rich that gets the pleasure
Ain’t it all a f¥cking shame? “