Re: Abergavenny to Newport

UPTHEPORT wrote: February 14th, 2023, 9:54 am
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 13th, 2023, 5:45 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: February 13th, 2023, 4:32 pm Many thanks yes I walk quite regularly to panteg area and back to malpas
So from llanfoist to Abergavenny is there a path or would you have to walk the road bit .

What I find a bit annoying they say the canal basically finishes as soon as you get to pontypool in a lot of these guides isn't the Newport stretch counted as part of the Monmouthshire canal 🤔
Shwmae Iago (Welsh for James) . How's your learning going?
There's actually a canal path on all sections between Brecon and Newport. The Newport & Monmouthshire canal initially ran from Pill (Potter Street lock I believe) to Pontnewynydd, and was completed in 1799 but now ends at Pontymoil basin, which is where the once separate Brecon canal eventually joined in 1812. The toll House at the basin which collected fees to allow barges to transfer from one canal to the other is still standing.
Struggling to be honest 😅
Learning any new language, obviously takes frequent and regular time put into that learning. Especially difficult when in full time shift work. I understand it is your granddaughter (wyres) who will be starting/ has started nursery (meithrin) . Won't take her long before she is teaching you of course. I speak from that personal experience.

Re: Abergavenny to Newport

UPTHEPORT wrote: January 31st, 2023, 7:28 pm Just wondering has anyone walked from Abergavenny to Newport on the canal and where do you join the canal in Abergavenny

Cheers in advance
The current navigable part of the canal (by boat/barge) part finishes at 5 locks in Pontnewydd.
Although you can still walk/cycle the rest of the way to Newport.
As another option is you could get on the X3 bus to Abergavenny, (it comes off the moterway and you can get on it at Kimberly Park Malpas), get off somewhere near Goytre Wharf ie The Llanover or Llanellen Post Offices walk up the lanes and get on the canal.
I know it's not quite in Abergavenny but pretty close if you are only interested in walking back home