Re: The Ashes

mad norm wrote: July 2nd, 2023, 7:51 pm Nicest pic on the media (BBC app) is Steve Smith patting Stokes on the back after his innings
We can huff,puff and wring our underwear.......but the Aussies are GOOD.
Steve Smith MKII is clearly a decent bloke (an odd man too but a world class if not the best ever Batsman) as most Aussies are and no one is inherently 'bad' - BUT the incident was a Mankad esque one and not in the spirit of cricket - even in our semi corrupt game of football we have some 'traditions' like kicking ball out of play for most injuries, and at amateur/youth level not showboating or piling on the goals even if you opponents are rubbish - it'll be 'don't take the p lads calm down a bit we'll win this one easy anyway' (I was usually on the rubbish team though) etc.

I admire the pugnacity of the Aussies and for a country with less than half the population for the UK they have battered people in many sports and have a team or individual in the top 20 of pretty much every sport going in men's and women's sport - they are THE sporting nation and to be admired for that - BUT on this one they have let themselves down - its not a hanging offence but is at best embarrassing.

Regarding Broad's remark to Carey "You'll forever be remembered for that". Was he being condescending or was it the voice of experience in the light of his refusal to walk after edging behind in the first Ashes Test of 2013?

UPTHEPORT wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 7:48 am Love Bairstow but think it's time to bring folkes back much better keeper

I'd also drop Crawley and open with stokes he's not bowling enough with his knee and bring wood in
Woods is injured.
Stokes is more gung-ho that Crawley. Yes he gets wonderful innings like yesterday but I bet his record shows he probably has a 50% rate of poor innings...
He was awful in the first innings of the first test and got out to a silly shot and did the same in the last test...The Brilliant innings he makes cover these up.

Yes the cricket is entertaining to watch and when it works brilliant to watch and successful but in the first innings the middle order were well on top , had the Aussies on their knees looking like a side who didn't know what to do next then they imploded with a mad hour where they were going for shots that they shouldn't have. That's why IMO we lost the last test..Even one of the best batsman in the world (ROOT) lost his head and got caught up in crazy cricket.

Foakes is a better keeper granted but Bairstow is always likely to score a match winning innings.

I see Bairstow tried the same thing in the same Test match, unfortunately for him his aim was off and the batsman had stayed in his crease. I have no doubt whatsoever, that if it had hit the stumps and the player was out of his crease, Ingerrrrlund would have appealed.
It’s not bad sportsmanship, it was done in one action & the ball wasn’t dead.

I do think, even aside from the controversial Bairstow incident, that the difference between 2 fairly even test teams, the difference between winning and losing has been down to the captaincy. This is so often the case in cricket. Credit has to go to the more astute and measured approach of the Aussies under Cummings' approach.

Exile 1976 wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 5:15 pm I see Bairstow tried the same thing in the same Test match, unfortunately for him his aim was off and the batsman had stayed in his crease. I have no doubt whatsoever, that if it had hit the stumps and the player was out of his crease, Ingerrrrlund would have appealed.
It’s not bad sportsmanship, it was done in one action & the ball wasn’t dead.
The difference is the Aussie was batting out of his crease (trying to gain an advantage). Bairstow wasn't batting out of his crease, had confirmed he'd made his ground by tapping his bat down, and left the crease as the over was done.

It was bad sportsmanship, no doubt.

I think the worst of this is yet to come. There is no doubt that Broad (and I reckon a few others too) will be reviewing footage to see which Aussie batsmen leave their crease early in the bowlers run up, and I would say the prospect of a Mankad attempt taking place in Aus's next innings is almost a certainty. Personally, I hope it happens and that it is upheld, as the fallout will be seriously funny.

neilcork68 wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 12:15 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 7:48 am Love Bairstow but think it's time to bring folkes back much better keeper

I'd also drop Crawley and open with stokes he's not bowling enough with his knee and bring wood in
Woods is injured.
Stokes is more gung-ho that Crawley. Yes he gets wonderful innings like yesterday but I bet his record shows he probably has a 50% rate of poor innings...
He was awful in the first innings of the first test and got out to a silly shot and did the same in the last test...The Brilliant innings he makes cover these up.

Yes the cricket is entertaining to watch and when it works brilliant to watch and successful but in the first innings the middle order were well on top , had the Aussies on their knees looking like a side who didn't know what to do next then they imploded with a mad hour where they were going for shots that they shouldn't have. That's why IMO we lost the last test..Even one of the best batsman in the world (ROOT) lost his head and got caught up in crazy cricket.

Foakes is a better keeper granted but Bairstow is always likely to score a match winning innings.
With Pope injured,couldn’t Bairstow go up the order and put Foakes behind the stumps.

Percy plunkett wrote: July 5th, 2023, 9:17 pm
neilcork68 wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 12:15 pm

Woods is injured.

With Pope injured,couldn’t Bairstow go up the order and put Foakes behind the stumps.
Percy I'd have you behind the stumps before Bairstow. I personally would have brought in Foakes and had Bairstow open. Especially with Pope out.

We Agree.
:shock: