Re: New Speed Limits ...- Cyclists and E-scooter users

Was in the car with Ms Cathedral behind a learner yesterday (me being chauffeured) - everyone has to learn no problem there but it struck me that most journeys will be like that once the 20 limit fully kicks in...

As with Covid, ULEZ, climate change, etc. I'm NOT a flat earther and DO want lives to be saved if the stats stack up BUT this is a nuclear option from a megalomaniac leader who is damaging the economy and his own party in Wales (at Westminster Labour will walk into government in Wales they will lose a lot of seats in the Senedd - they'll still win it next time but not by anywhere near as much).

There have been a number of changes made to roads very close to where I live. They've all made things safer, but they've each impacted journey times. I've grumbled about all of them but eventually got used to them. I daresay this 20mph thing will be no different. Though my period of grumbling may be prolonged.

But 63% of us are in favour? Blinking flip. I bet they questioned every care home resident this side of the border to manufacture that stat.

As a professional driver I have always had the same attitude towards speed.

It's not speed that kills , it's inappropriate speed...

20 past schools , hospitals play areas etc is too fast and will still cause deaths , injuries etc...that should be 10mph maximum
Almost every road being 20 is bloody ridiculous imo.....

You should drive to the conditions, situations etc not just because Drakeford and his cronies decide they think they know better...
I don't care what figures they come out with to back up their argument because figures can be doctored to suite the argument.
Sensible drivers will drive to the conditions/ situations irrelevant of what Drakeford tells them. Idiots won't even if you spend £100 million on road signs , cameras or propaganda.
I've heard up to £70million being spent on this latest brainwave from them . It won't make a difference unless their are speed cameras around because people will still exceed the new limits , as they have done with the current limits.
I notice the ' environment aspect seems to have been dropped in the campaign as pollution will increase because vehicles aren't operating at their optimal performance because we will have to stay in lower gears to stay at the lower limits..Drivers will be constantly watching their Speedos as well to make sure they obey the limits. If a kid runs out in the road it will be too late as they won't get noticed until it's too late....mark my words.

JonD wrote: September 6th, 2023, 3:07 pm I pretty much know my speed without looking at my speedo. I check it, like, but it's invariably showing the speed I thought I was doing, especially in the 0-30mph range, perhaps 1or 2 mph either side.

I daresay Neil is similar.

That’s entirely my point. Just because a speed limit changes ( as it does from road to road in many areas) doesn’t mean that drivers are going to be constantly staring at their speedometers and not the road. If they are then they really shouldn’t be driving

If you are in the unlikely event to drive 10 miles in a solely 30mph zone, that same journey at 20mph will now take just 10 minutes longer.

I live in Merthyr and the impact on my drive to Newport / Bristol / Abergavenny / Monmouth / C***iff / Swansea etc etc will be very little to none (as would be from any of the others to the others) However, getting from one side of the town to the other may take me a minute or two extra. Whoopdie bloody doo.

Oh, and it’s not just “Drakeford and his cronies” that decide how fast/slow the speed limit is, that’s what governments do mate. Professional driver or not, it’s their job to decide, not yours.

15 years ago councils were installing traffic calming in areas that had been speeding hot spot's.
Speed humps are designed to be difficult to drive over at anything over 10 MPH, and road narrowing forces one car to stop completely.

Drivers sometimes take routes down back streets to avoid pedestrian controlled crossings at busy times. But it still requires coming to a standstill at junctions or when re joining a main road.

Emissions increase when accelerating from a stand still, which is why if you reduce speeds on roads, you reduce the amount of emissions, plus reaction and stopping time increases..........

Overall its a bit like bringing in seat belts 40 years ago, huge wailing and bumping of gums at the time, and who complains about it these day's.........

Exile 1976 wrote: September 6th, 2023, 6:03 pm If you are in the unlikely event to drive 10 miles in a solely 30mph zone, that same journey at 20mph will now take just 10 minutes longer.

I live in Merthyr and the impact on my drive to Newport / Bristol / Abergavenny / Monmouth / C***iff / Swansea etc etc will be very little to none (as would be from any of the others to the others) However, getting from one side of the town to the other may take me a minute or two extra. Whoopdie bloody doo.

Oh, and it’s not just “Drakeford and his cronies” that decide how fast/slow the speed limit is, that’s what governments do mate. Professional driver or not, it’s their job to decide, not yours.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: September 7th, 2023, 11:16 am
Exile 1976 wrote: September 6th, 2023, 6:03 pm If you are in the unlikely event to drive 10 miles in a solely 30mph zone, that same journey at 20mph will now take just 10 minutes longer.

Yes. Quite. You pathetic *******

Bangitintrnet wrote: September 7th, 2023, 8:36 am 15 years ago councils were installing traffic calming in areas that had been speeding hot spot's.
Speed humps are designed to be difficult to drive over at anything over 10 MPH, and road narrowing forces one car to stop completely.

Drivers sometimes take routes down back streets to avoid pedestrian controlled crossings at busy times. But it still requires coming to a standstill at junctions or when re joining a main road.

Emissions increase when accelerating from a stand still, which is why if you reduce speeds on roads, you reduce the amount of emissions, plus reaction and stopping time increases..........

Overall its a bit like bringing in seat belts 40 years ago, huge wailing and bumping of gums at the time, and who complains about it these day's.........

I don’t actually agree with a blanket change from 30-20mph but it is hardly the worst thing that could happen and some journey’s will be a few minutes longer, so don’t understand the amount of people crying about it. It’s happening so, even Citizen Chepstow’sFine Smith will have to get used to it.