Re: New Speed Limits ...- Cyclists and E-scooter users

Exile 1976 wrote: September 7th, 2023, 12:04 pm
Chepstow'sFine wrote: September 7th, 2023, 11:16 am
Exile 1976 wrote: September 6th, 2023, 6:03 pm If you are in the unlikely event to drive 10 miles in a solely 30mph zone, that same journey at 20mph will now take just 10 minutes longer.

I live in Merthyr and the impact on my drive to Newport / Bristol / Abergavenny / Monmouth / C***iff / Swansea etc etc will be very little to none (as would be from any of the others to the others) However, getting from one side of the town to the other may take me a minute or two extra. Whoopdie bloody doo.

Oh, and it’s not just “Drakeford and his cronies” that decide how fast/slow the speed limit is, that’s what governments do mate. Professional driver or not, it’s their job to decide, not yours.

Yes. Quite. You pathetic *******
:lol:

30mph to 20mph in a city/town kind of makes sense I suppose but if it's all about safety and emissions then why is it arbitrarily applied to rural villages? Cardiff will have a ULEZ style scheme in the next 2 years like Bristol city centre already has. I'd wager Newport will soon have one too.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: September 7th, 2023, 1:47 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: September 6th, 2023, 6:03 pm If you are in the unlikely event to drive 10 miles in a solely 30mph zone, that same journey at 20mph will now take just 10 minutes longer.

I live in Merthyr and the impact on my drive to Newport / Bristol / Abergavenny / Monmouth / C***iff / Swansea etc etc will be very little to none (as would be from any of the others to the others) However, getting from one side of the town to the other may take me a minute or two extra. Whoopdie bloody doo.

Oh, and it’s not just “Drakeford and his cronies” that decide how fast/slow the speed limit is, that’s what governments do mate. Professional driver or not, it’s their job to decide, not yours.

30mph to 20mph in a city/town kind of makes sense I suppose but if it's all about safety and emissions then why is it arbitrarily applied to rural villages? Cardiff will have a ULEZ style scheme in the next 2 years like Bristol city centre already has. I'd wager Newport will soon have one too.
Enlighten me as to why safety and emissions are less important in rural villages? Surely if you live on a junction you have the same issues? Likewise next to a village bus stop, it will be years before rural buses are electric.

If people adhere to the 20mph, then the rational behind ULEZ style zones disappears surely? Is that not a benefit?

I don’t agree that it should be. That said, I believe there are a few roads where I live that will remain 30mph.
As for ULEZ, I personally think it’s a bag of bollocks,

Bangitintrnet wrote: September 7th, 2023, 2:36 pm

Enlighten me as to why safety and emissions are less important in rural villages? Surely if you live on a junction you have the same issues? Likewise next to a village bus stop, it will be years before rural buses are electric.

If people adhere to the 20mph, then the rational behind ULEZ style zones disappears surely? Is that not a benefit?
Because generally speaking there are no emissions and safety issues in Welsh rural villages. If there are then they tend to get sorted on an individual basis or are already in place. 20mph is the first part of a much larger plan which then leads to clean air zones (ULEZ) and then Pay-Per-Mile. Remember that our glorious leaders don't want us Proles to have cars....

G Guest wrote: September 8th, 2023, 1:04 pm As a driver approaching 80 years I am pleased by the 20 mph limit. I will feel safer if everyone adheres to it.
We've moved on from the guy walking in front of the car with a red flag.
Drivers don't adhere to 30 mph , do you think 20 is going to make a difference to them ?
It's going to be the sensible drivers who will cop a fine for straying 2 or 3 over this limit not the idiots doing 50 in the 20 limit ( unless there are speed cameras).
I was driving this morning through Rogiet and some guy was doing 21...He was overtaken by at least 5 cars, 1 van and a CYCLIST..

We have a 70mph limit on motorways....even lorries exceed this

UPTHEPORT wrote: September 11th, 2023, 4:03 pm A speed limit isn't a target
No vehicle drivers are targets to raise more revenue. That's all they are using this scheme to do
Don't give me the crap you never speed..

I was reading a report from a top Scientist today who said more people will probably die due to more pollution caused by driving at 20mph than being killed by speeding motorists.
Speed doesn't kill or injure , it inappropriate speed.

Does anyone believe that those who don't observe the 30 limits now are going to be swathed by the new 20 mph limit ?

Driving home in rush hour yesterday (on a dual carriageway with a 30mph limit where many do 40-50 and where undertaking occurs regularly) three t-shirt-wearing lads on motorbikes bulleted past, lane-splitting quite flamboyantly. It was hair-raising stuff. Then on the opposite side of the road a BMW roared past at probably over 60. And seconds later the lights changed but a driving instructor (Uplands Driving School - they have earned something of a reputation around here 🙄) nipped through a clear red light.

All in the space of a couple of minutes.

And I thought "It's anarchy. No one gives a f***!".

I suspect the 20mph limit mightn't change very much.

JonD wrote: September 12th, 2023, 7:54 am Driving home in rush hour yesterday (on a dual carriageway with a 30mph limit where many do 40-50 and where undertaking occurs regularly) three t-shirt-wearing lads on motorbikes bulleted past, lane-splitting quite flamboyantly. It was hair-raising stuff. Then on the opposite side of the road a BMW roared past at probably over 60. And seconds later the lights changed but a driving instructor (Uplands Driving School - they have earned something of a reputation around here 🙄) nipped through a clear red light.

All in the space of a couple of minutes.

And I thought "It's anarchy. No one gives a f***!".

I suspect the 20mph limit mightn't change very much.
Fair point. That sounds like a scene from Mad Max. However my point is that 20mph across the board is too slow. Especially in a quiet village where people tend to stick to the speed limits and therefore it slows you down considerably and creates very slow moving lines of cars. I went to Caldicot at the weekend and found the same thing. Large straight roads clogged up with people driving at 20mph.

Aye. It's going to be challenging.

I read the questionnaire the Welsh Gov prepared. I'm strongly opposed to the speed reduction but - answering the questions honestly - I found I kept answering in favour of it. But this is because I live on a frigging cul-de-sac where Max Verstappen would struggle to do as much as 30. The questions seemed loaded. But in fairness no one in Government should ask questions that they don't already know the answer. Just look at Brexit.

G Guest wrote: September 8th, 2023, 1:04 pm As a driver approaching 80 years I am pleased by the 20 mph limit. I will feel safer if everyone adheres to it.
As a driver approaching 80 years you need to give serious thought to giving up driving - I speak from a place of kindness as my own now late father got to a point at around that age where he wasn't enjoying driving and was unsafe (Mrs Cathedral didn't want to get in a car he was driving)...age is just a number BUT *in general* reflexes and cognitive abilities decline rapidly from about 70-75 onward - you may be a marvelous exception to that rule (and I hope you are) but most over 80's are not...my dad saved tons of money as even if and when he got taxis (although he didn't need to much) he saved on running costs, fuel, insurance and road tax.

Your decision of course but no shame in making that choice.