Channel Crossings

Keir Starmer's plan to tackle boat migrants = Agreeing with the EU to receive quotas of migrants already in safe EU countries. Something we didn't do (accept asylum quotas) when we were in the EU. He also plans to drop Rwanda as a thing. Effectively he's going to cede more power to Brussels than when we were actually in the EU. Either way you look at it, it means more boat migrants.

Re: Channel Crossings

The post equivalent of “I’m not racist…but”

Sometimes it’s best to read what he actually said and not what the Daily Heil tells you.

Sir Keir said it was "embarrassing the government is pumping out this nonsense" and that his discussions were focused on sharing information on people smuggling gangs to "stop boats getting in the water in the first place".
"It ought to be the UK government who decides who comes to the UK," Sir Keir said.
"But at the moment, because the government has lost control, it is those that are running the gangs that are putting people in boats to cross the channel.
"That's why I'm here at Europol saying how can we have a better agreement to share intelligence have joint operations to take these gangs down."

And when replying to Jennricks claim that we’d have to take 100,000 migrants a year, Starmer stated negotiations would not be bound by these rules since "we are not a member of the EU".

With regards to scrapping the Rwanda plan? Too bloody right.
Last edited by Exile 1976 on September 14th, 2023, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: September 14th, 2023, 3:07 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: September 14th, 2023, 2:52 pm The post equivalent of “I’m not racist…but”

Sometimes it’s best to read what he actually said and not what the Daily Heil tells you.
I have read his comments. What do you think about it his plans to tackle illegal boat migration?

His plan is to smash the smuggling gangs through closer cooperation with the EU and Europol. Exactly the right thing to do.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: September 14th, 2023, 3:09 pm
rncfc wrote: September 14th, 2023, 3:02 pm Why does this bother anyone? As a human being, why would you be bothered about people fleeing war/famine/persecution?

Truly baffling.
Fair point. Out of interest. How many people should we accept in your opinion?
However many we can accommodate, both in terms of housing and employment.

If we run out of room, build more houses, which creates more jobs.

We're all people, what difference does it make what arbitrary border you were born within?

Exile 1976 wrote: September 14th, 2023, 3:11 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: September 14th, 2023, 2:52 pm The post equivalent of “I’m not racist…but”

I have read his comments. What do you think about it his plans to tackle illegal boat migration?

His plan is to smash the smuggling gangs through closer cooperation with the EU and Europol. Exactly the right thing to do.
I'm all up for that but no idea how and why hasn't France done it already? The bit I find concerning is his plan to sign us up to EU obligations without us being a member. You realise Germany tore up its deal with Italy to accept migrants arriving on Italian shores today? I don't think the Grauniad or Morning Star covered that so you probably won't have seen it ;)

Chepstow'sFine wrote: September 14th, 2023, 3:46 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: September 14th, 2023, 3:11 pm

I'm all up for that but no idea how and why hasn't France done it already? The bit I find concerning is his plan to sign us up to EU obligations without us being a member. You realise Germany tore up its deal with Italy to accept migrants arriving on Italian shores today? I don't think the Grauniad or Morning Star covered that so you probably won't have seen it ;)

Probably because it’s not for France to worry about the UK’s border (that we apparently took back control of since Brexit yet we have more migrant crossings than we ever had) . Germany have/do take in many more migrants than the UK over the years…. also, I don’t really care what they do.

rncfc wrote: September 14th, 2023, 3:02 pm Why does this bother anyone? As a human being, why would you be bothered about people fleeing war/famine/persecution?

Truly baffling.
They’re not “fleeing war […]” they’re “fleeing” mainland Europe (all safe countries and mostly far less populated per km than the UK), many are also economic migrants.

Mrs cathedral is an immigrant and I’ve supported an asylum seeker in a hearing BUT we cannot sustain these numbers and an open and honest debate as well as robust filtering of non genuine people is needed to not do so insults the many thousands of migrants, Mrs Cathedral included, who have played by the rules.

Most of the immigration problem are the vast majority of them are economic migrants or criminals fleeing from their Country of birth

People who have genuine reasons to seek help from us are welcome and worthy of it but that's less than 50% of migrants .
They are travelling half way around the world and end up in France which is a safe country . They are leaving 'safe countries ' intent on getting to the UK because they see us as a soft touch with many benefits.
When Captain Hindsight became Leader he had 10 pledges. He has backtracked on ALL of them. I don't believe a word he says

At present we are led by idiots who haven't got a clue. Unfortunately the opposition parties are equally as bad if not worse.