United Nations inactivity

It appears blindingly obvious to me that both of the idiotic groups in Gaza are incapable of stopping the violence. The ‘red mist’ seems to have lifted but the outrageous violence continues. It is indiscriminate - elderly people, men, women, children, it is an obscenity and should have stopped. It seems that it won’t.

Before anyone on here leaps in to announce that I am either pro Israeli or pro Palestinian. I am neither, I am pro life.

I think at the moment that the lesser of all bad things needs to be accomplished. That can only be done by the UN. It has been done before and in small doses it is being done today. I think a UN Peacekeeping force should be gathered and they need to take control of the Gaza situation. The forces needed will be huge but the combined large nations of the UN could accomplish it if they had the will to do so. I believe that it is up to us, the general public to put pressure on the politicians to make it happen. It can be done. A so called neutral country could command it but it would need to be truly multi international.

Re: United Nations inactivity

I agree with your sentiments Mike and I hope that international pressure will lead to a cease fire from Israel. However history indicates that this is unlikely to happen. Pressure on Russia has had little effect in the Ukrainian war. If we think the West can claim the moral high ground, look what happened in WW2. Britain pounded German cities indiscriminately killing hundreds of thousands of civilians. The US dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Re: United Nations inactivity

Blackandamber wrote: November 13th, 2023, 2:52 pm I agree with your sentiments Mike and I hope that international pressure will lead to a cease fire from Israel. However history indicates that this is unlikely to happen. Pressure on Russia has had little effect in the Ukrainian war. If we think the West can claim the moral high ground, look what happened in WW2. Britain pounded German cities indiscriminately killing hundreds of thousands of civilians. The US dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Or the pathetic 'observation' of ethnic cleansing in the former Yugoslavia which saw thousands massacred and starved literally under UN noses. UN meddling is not a panacea.