Re: Emiliano Sala death: Leeds United fan banned over gestures

Chepstow'sFine wrote: December 12th, 2023, 2:09 pm I'm not trying to hijack the thread (honest guvna) but my point is that you can openly chant about the destruction of Israel on the streets of Britain today (you know the chant I mean), with impunity but sing about tragedy abuse in a sports arena and expect to be slapped with a lengthy banning order. The 2 things can't both be right surely?
Its a perfect if complex example Chepstow - my view is one idiot in a football stadium (and lets not forget football fans are all 'thugs' anyway right?) is a far easier cop and clout over the head than [for example] a female middle class ethnic minority student at a pro Palestine march - no prizes for guessing who's arrest would generate loads of sympathy and guardian columns...for what its worth I've no desire to silence pro Palestine protest - whether I agree with them or not free speech is, or should be, a key tenet of our society.

...and to be clear I'm not suggesting 'tragedy chanting' constitutes free speech but that its no more/less 'hate speech' or 'alarming' than much of what is said by others elsewhere.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: December 12th, 2023, 1:39 pm
Chepstow'sFine wrote: December 12th, 2023, 1:31 pm The punishment is wildly disproportionate to the crime, especially in the current climate of two tier policing where you can freely chant anti-semitism on the streets as long as you're in an organised protest.
Nonsense.

You can't freely chant anti-semitism on the streets. And rightly so.

Calling out Netanyahu's band of thugs is not anti -semitic. Many Jews find the behaviour of the Israeli state as repulsive as I do. People who kill children, whether they be Hamas or the Israeli Defence Forces dehumanize the world and shame us all.
You don't speak for Jews, mate, whatever your pretensions.

Like most you conveniently leave out the raping of women and the seizing of hostages to trade for "children" who are facing charges of attempted murder.

Ireland has become a cesspit of antisemitism, it seems.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of my people at Barnet tonight, even if I'm cheering for the other side.

Excellent thread this one.

It's about the massive " socio-economic" gap that exists like it or not between footy and rugby given the obvious comparisons/example.

I've been to a few Rugby internationas at Twickers.

Basically Twickenham is one big Pub for the day...but never offensive chanting ,never foul mouthed abuse. just thousands safely making their way to and from the ground and respecting the mounted police who go about their directing the crowds totally calmly and unhindered.

Now cut to the men's Euro final at Wembley......could the same be said?

Because of club animosities alleged or real, footy is tarred with the "working class yobs" tag
The vast majority of footy fans have to bare the burden of a minority of pond life.
Prejudice is hard to break down in society
Sadly mob mentality can still raise its ugly head and it really is hard to come to terms with
And with that we've now got the renewed problem of refereeing...but that's another thread

North London Exile wrote: December 12th, 2023, 5:37 pm
Chepstow'sFine wrote: December 12th, 2023, 1:31 pm The punishment is wildly disproportionate to the crime, especially in the current climate of two tier policing where you can freely chant anti-semitism on the streets as long as you're in an organised protest.
Nonsense.

Calling out Netanyahu's band of thugs is not anti -semitic. Many Jews find the behaviour of the Israeli state as repulsive as I do. People who kill children, whether they be Hamas or the Israeli Defence Forces dehumanize the world and shame us all.

Like most you conveniently leave out the raping of women and the seizing of hostages to trade for "children" who are facing charges of attempted murder.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of my people at Barnet tonight, even if I'm cheering for the other side.
What part of my condemnation of Hamas is troubling you?

Children aren't born Christian or Jewish or Muslim. They are simply born. This my people, your people etc is just total bollox. Until idiots like you learn that we are all people, and if a loving God exists, that love is equally shared, we are all the poorer.

Get a life.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: December 12th, 2023, 6:36 pm
Nonsense.

Children aren't born Christian or Jewish or Muslim. They are simply born. This my people, your people etc is just total bollox. Until idiots like you learn that we are all people, and if a loving God exists, that love is equally shared, we are all the poorer.

Get a life.
I think you should read what you have written again, and think about your answer very, very carefully.

Torquay Exile wrote: December 12th, 2023, 6:44 pm
Nonsense.

Get a life.
I think you should read what you have written again, and think about your answer very, very carefully.

Many Jews find the behaviour of the Israeli Defence Forces as repulsive as I do. You have a problem with that? Okay, some Jews are bigoted little racists. In my sixty six years on this earth my experience has been that people are just people and are the same the world over.

Some Irish people are crude. So do me a favour and go and f@ck yourself.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: December 12th, 2023, 7:01 pm
Torquay Exile wrote: December 12th, 2023, 6:44 pm
Nonsense.

Get a life.

Many Jews find the behaviour of the Israeli Defence Forces as repulsive as I do. You have a problem with that? Okay, some Jews are bigoted little racists. In my sixty six years on this earth my experience has been that people are just people and are the same the world over.

Some Irish people are crude. So do me a favour and go and f@ck yourself.
Did you choose to be Irish or were you born Irish?

CathedralCounty wrote: December 12th, 2023, 1:57 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: December 12th, 2023, 1:39 pm

Another right wing conspiracy
Its not a 'conspiracy' though is it? whether by accident or design we do have a somehow 'selective' approach to policing in the UK (partly down to picking 'low hanging fruit' simply due to lack of resources).
Your falling in to the rights bollox talking

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... 22792.html

As I said it's a conspiracy from the right that idiots at pro Palestinian marches are not getting arrested for saying dreadful stuff

UPTHEPORT wrote: December 12th, 2023, 7:39 pm

Its not a 'conspiracy' though is it? whether by accident or design we do have a somehow 'selective' approach to policing in the UK (partly down to picking 'low hanging fruit' simply due to lack of resources).

As I said it's a conspiracy from the right that idiots at pro Palestinian marches are not getting arrested for saying dreadful stuff
Your link does work to well. Is this what you are trying to say.

Gaza protest: Tens of thousands march in London calling for ceasefire

Organisers of the protest estimated that some 300,000 people attended

Torquay Exile wrote: December 12th, 2023, 10:28 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: December 12th, 2023, 7:45 pm
Torquay Exile wrote: December 12th, 2023, 7:36 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: December 12th, 2023, 7:01 pm

Children aren't born Christian or Jewish or Muslim. They are simply born.

Did you choose to be Irish or were you born Irish?
You really are as thick as sh!t, aren't you?
Am I really. Says the Catholic Irish person.

Caitlicigh na hÉireann

Is Éireannach dúr thú i ndáiríre

I really enjoyed learning the Irish language (and also a few others) before I joined my new unit many many years ago. I'm sure you can understand why Stan The Terrible.

I'm a little bit rusty.

I'm not going down that rabbit hole and acknowledge some people were arrested at those marches but its a fair bet that many more people got away with egregious banners and chanting in a way that very few would do at football (and the Met fell over themselves to excuse the use of 'jihad' in another earlier instance) for the record I don't think anyone should be criminalized for a banner or chant but its IS a criminal offence in some instances and the law should be applied equally.

I'm not taking sides on the conflict in the middle east or getting drawn into the arguments - but its a FACT we have very 'selective' policing in the UK, as mentioned for often prosaic reasons like 'low hanging fruit' and 'optics' of arresting [say] an elderly imam at a protest march v a stone island clad 22 year old at a football game (both for [say] minor and spurious 'hate' offences) - one would garner huge sympathy the other virtually none.

CathedralCounty wrote: December 13th, 2023, 8:53 am

I'm not going down that rabbit hole and acknowledge some people were arrested at those marches but its a fair bet that many more people got away with egregious banners and chanting in a way that very few would do at football (and the Met fell over themselves to excuse the use of 'jihad' in another earlier instance) for the record I don't think anyone should be criminalized for a banner or chant but its IS a criminal offence in some instances and the law should be applied equally.

I'm not taking sides on the conflict in the middle east or getting drawn into the arguments - but its a FACT we have very 'selective' policing in the UK, as mentioned for often prosaic reasons like 'low hanging fruit' and 'optics' of arresting [say] an elderly imam at a protest march v a stone island clad 22 year old at a football game (both for [say] minor and spurious 'hate' offences) - one would garner huge sympathy the other virtually none.

Read what Chepstow'sFine said

The punishment is wildly disproportionate to the crime, especially in the current climate of two tier policing where you can freely chant anti-semitism on the streets as long as you're in an organised protest.

So I was right another conspiracy debunked