Re: Mark Drakeford

Chepstow'sFine wrote: December 14th, 2023, 10:47 am Sorry Norm, being thick, what is it? So glad he's actually going. He's been a disaster for Wales in so many ways. We're failing our people and deserve better leaders not petty vindictive ideologs.
Totally agree, I vote labour BUT in the Welsh context its been disastrous we have a rubbish NHS & education system (even pre covid) and the mantra is always 'its not our fault guv its the [English] Conservatives init - give us more money!' - reminds me of the errant early twenty something who still lives with their parents and borrows money for their unsustainable [but 'progressive'] lifestyle while constantly railing against them and how awful they are - we need to learn to spend the money we have better and stop channeling money into odd and ill thought out policies (see 20mph limits, etc).

The record of Welsh Labour in a Wales (Senedd) context is poor at best appalling at worst and however principled a man he may be Drakey needs to take some of the blame for that.

[edit] BUT better the devil you know - dread to think who we'll get next!

CathedralCounty wrote: December 14th, 2023, 2:04 pm
Chepstow'sFine wrote: December 14th, 2023, 10:47 am Sorry Norm, being thick, what is it? So glad he's actually going. He's been a disaster for Wales in so many ways. We're failing our people and deserve better leaders not petty vindictive ideologs.
Totally agree, I vote labour BUT in the Welsh context its been disastrous we have a rubbish NHS & education system (even pre covid) and the mantra is always 'its not our fault guv its the [English] Conservatives init - give us more money!' - reminds me of the errant early twenty something who still lives with their parents and borrows money for their unsustainable [but 'progressive'] lifestyle while constantly railing against them and how awful they are - we need to learn to spend the money we have better and stop channeling money into odd and ill thought out policies (see 20mph limits, etc).

The record of Welsh Labour in a Wales (Senedd) context is poor at best appalling at worst and however principled a man he may be Drakey needs to take some of the blame for that.

[edit] BUT better the devil you know - dread to think who we'll get next!
Yep 100%. They can find the money for 20mph (£33m) and adding more Senedd politicians (£120m) when the NHS needs every penny it can get. You can blame the Tories as much as you like but it's Welsh Labour who've failed this country when given the purse strings (of certain things like Health for example).

He's a good man, well-intentioned, but he probably stayed longer than he should have. Compared to the continuous disasters that sat at the top of the UK Government, he was perfectly fine.

A big criticism would be the lack of an inquiry over the COVID response in Wales, but the rest of the stuff he got such a slating for, such as the 20mph policy, was mostly a load of hot air about nothing. However, his Unionist stance would be his biggest flaw in my book.

DT1892 wrote: December 14th, 2023, 6:54 pm He's a good man, well-intentioned, but he probably stayed longer than he should have. Compared to the continuous disasters that sat at the top of the UK Government, he was perfectly fine.

A big criticism would be the lack of an inquiry over the COVID response in Wales, but the rest of the stuff he got such a slating for, such as the 20mph policy, was mostly a load of hot air about nothing. However, his Unionist stance would be his biggest flaw in my book.

Bloody hell, that’s pretty much exactly what I would have written

Chepstow'sFine wrote: December 15th, 2023, 10:21 am
UPTHEPORT wrote: December 14th, 2023, 9:11 pm The politicians in Westminster could do with an once of his morals

Decent man puts his faith in God
Pretty sure he's an atheist. There are loads of reasons I think he has a very warped moral framework. The biggest one for me is that he flatly refused an independent COVID inquiry.

Knowing him as well as I do, whether his decision making has been right or wrong, his decisions have been what he truly believes has been best for the people of Wales.

Exile 1976 wrote: December 15th, 2023, 1:18 pm

Knowing him as well as I do, whether his decision making has been right or wrong, his decisions have been what he truly believes has been best for the people of Wales.
I like Drakeford. Whether you agree with him or not it seems to me that his decisions are made from a place of having a moral compass.

Take 20mph. It annoys all of us who drive cars. However for the tiny minority of mothers whose children will be involved in a near miss and not seriously injured or killed, he will be a saint.

Doing the right thing is often doing unpopular things. You can question his views of course, I think that his motivations are beyond reproach.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: December 15th, 2023, 2:22 pm

I like Drakeford. Whether you agree with him or not it seems to me that his decisions are made from a place of having a moral compass.

Take 20mph. It annoys all of us who drive cars. However for the tiny minority of mothers whose children will be involved in a near miss and not seriously injured or killed, he will be a saint.

Doing the right thing is often doing unpopular things. You can question his views of course, I think that his motivations are beyond reproach.
You don't even live in Wales now, so why do you care who runs Wales. In Ireland do they drive 20 miles an hour. I don't think they do, after all most people in Ireland are trying to get away from the police, for one thing or another.

Torquay Exile wrote: December 15th, 2023, 6:32 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: December 15th, 2023, 2:22 pm

You don't even live in Wales now, so why do you care who runs Wales. In Ireland do they drive 20 miles an hour. I don't think they do, after all most people in Ireland are trying to get away from the police, for one thing or another.
Please don't take this the wrong way. You really do have a problem with obsessive behaviour. You don't upset me or wind me up. I'm not suggesting you're crazy but you may find it useful to think about getting counselling.
Think about it, for your sake.

UPTHEPORT wrote: December 14th, 2023, 9:11 pm The politicians in Westminster could do with an once of his morals

No doubt he is a decent man BUT Wales has the worst NHS and educational outcomes as well as highest poverty rates of Eng/Wal/Sco (NI is a basket case) and I’m not buying the “it’s the evil Tories fault” nor that it’s down to Covid, we’ve had 20 years of a Labour administration in Wales (one I voted for) and by objective and independent measures Wales has not improved.

And Drakey has to share some of that burden.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: December 15th, 2023, 10:21 am

Pretty sure he's an atheist. There are loads of reasons I think he has a very warped moral framework. The biggest one for me is that he flatly refused an independent COVID inquiry.

But they have all too often been the wrong decisions for Wales. I agree he is clearly a decent man and has a certain charm with his ill fitting suits and somewhat unpolished image but him and his administration (and those before him) have failed the people of Wales.

I bear no animus toward him but rather Welsh Labour (who I vote for on the basis of alternative being worse) have taken the Welsh public for granted and overplayed their hand.