Re: Great Incentive

Blackandamber wrote: January 8th, 2024, 10:06 pm I'd like to see GC put out the reserves at Donny on Saturday. Must give ourselves the best possible chance against Eastleigh.

The income generated against Man U would allow us to strength the side which should make up for the loss of 3 points.
Flynn did likewise at Grimsby, saving some of the more experienced for Middlesbrough. He got some stick after the 3-0 loss at Grimsby

Blackandamber wrote: January 8th, 2024, 10:06 pm I'd like to see GC put out the reserves at Donny on Saturday. Must give ourselves the best possible chance against Eastleigh.

The income generated against Man U would allow us to strength the side which should make up for the loss of 3 points.
Or help HJ clear the slate so we start off his reign with less debt. Just the small matter of beating Eastleigh first !

A note of caution IF we beat Eastleigh we're not going to clear nearly as much as people think - the temporary stand(s), policing and stewarding costs, player bonuses, etc would eat up a lot of it. Of course we would get pretty serious money but not history defining amounts - not looking a gift horse but lets not think it will define us as a club.

CathedralCounty wrote: January 9th, 2024, 12:00 pm A note of caution IF we beat Eastleigh we're not going to clear nearly as much as people think - the temporary stand(s), policing and stewarding costs, player bonuses, etc would eat up a lot of it. Of course we would get pretty serious money but not history defining amounts - not looking a gift horse but lets not think it will define us as a club.
Would if the club ups the ticket prices

I'd also say that if any tickets go on general sale those buying must buy a ticket for a future home match

Cash in

excessbee wrote: January 9th, 2024, 12:08 pm Agree with that. If the game happens, maybe we should keep it simple and make sure we fill the ground (7500 ish). No point in going overboard to accommodate extra away support or another 1500 home 'supporters' who don't normally bother.
The capacity against Leicester was 6705.

Marky wrote: January 9th, 2024, 12:44 pm
excessbee wrote: January 9th, 2024, 12:08 pm Agree with that. If the game happens, maybe we should keep it simple and make sure we fill the ground (7500 ish). No point in going overboard to accommodate extra away support or another 1500 home 'supporters' who don't normally bother.
The capacity against Leicester was 6705.
Without wishing to spark that old 'Big(er)' club debate - Newport v Man Utd would generate a HUGE amount of interest (and we can slate 'plastic' supporters of both clubs) in a way Leicester City simply did/would not - had we drawn Fulham it would have been 'meh might go down to get a ticket next week' if we win the replay it'll be straight onto the ticketing page/call/in person to grab that ticket as its Man Utd - an objectively huge football brand.

Notice West Ham v Bristol replay will be on the BBC - wonder if S4C will take up the option to show our replay?! Although I have heard that their outside broadcasting trucks sat navs are fixed to LL11 and CF11 postcodes, besides which in a recent statement S4C have said that:

'it would not be a cost effective use of our limited sports broadcasting budget to *cough* show every FA cup game involving Welsh clubs, our criteria means we are only able to show games where Welsh clubs whose names begin with a 'W' play unglamorous league 2 or league 1 opposition although some exceptions may be made on a case by case basis for example where Welsh clubs whose names begin with a 'W' are playing middling championship teams based in East Lancashire'...

[edit] a quick look at their forum revels they are confident 'nothing to fear from Newport', etc in fairness though one poster does point out we 'battered' (their words) Barnet in a replay...

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: January 10th, 2024, 9:25 am A degree of confidence at Eastleigh as they have released their provisional programme for Man U ticket sales starting on the 17th.
In fairness to them it makes sense as they probably have a very small staff and an unsophisticated ticketing system, as has been said before - Newport County tends to be rather 'secret squirrel' on things - but no harm in setting out provisional info - indeed now Eastleigh have already done so there can be no accusation of being presumptive or taking a replay win for granted (which Eastleigh do not do 'We clearly have a very difficult fixture to navigate first against a very good team who will be equally as determined to win the game and it is our preference to focus on this fixture.').

In fairness to 'County I'd imagine there have been a fair few meetings on this in the background but fans do want to be kept informed - better to put people's minds at ease (I will get a ticket) or stave off disappointment (I won't fall into any criteria I'll just watch on TV or look to get hospitality if I can) and of course save the club unnecessary work.

At least the ticketing software/app we have will avoid much of the ridiculous queuing we've had in the past - i.e., as an ST holder I'll be able to log on and see my guaranteed ticket waiting for me to purchase.

Again all moot if we don't win the replay!
Last edited by CathedralCounty on January 10th, 2024, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

excessbee wrote: January 10th, 2024, 10:16 am Nothing wrong with Eastleigh making plans for ticketing arrangements. However going public with them is not really necessary.
Saves work for a very small staff - would make sense for County to go public too as we don't have many staff either - if there is a 50/50 chance that something major is going to happen in 17 days time (for which tickets will need to be sold from 7 days time) then it doesn't hurt to lay things out for people.

excessbee wrote: January 10th, 2024, 10:16 am Nothing wrong with Eastleigh making plans for ticketing arrangements. However going public with them is not really necessary.

The people who need to know about the ticketing arrangements are those who potentially will be buying the tickets. There is only a week and a half between the replay and the 4th round date. And for a club of our size and moreso Eastleigh's a visit from Manchester United is logistically difficult.

I get the mind game of trying to use the other teams 'arrogance' as a motivating factor. However a Manchester United side, low on confidence, at home. Frankly I suspect both ourselves and Eastleigh should have all the motivation needed.

This season we are going to finish lower mid table. But football is about glory. The Eastleigh replay is, in my view, the biggest game since we reformed with the exception of 2013 v Wrexham.