Re: Flynn

JonD wrote: January 15th, 2024, 2:29 pm Presumably he can fly Cardiff-Newcastle so Hartlepool isn't that fanciful a suggestion.
Possible I suppose but you'd need a flight at 7-00am and a retun flight at 6-00pm every day. Travel to Roose, clearing security, travel from Newcastle to Hartlepool and back again. Clear security again. Travel from Roose to home. Evening games? Saturday's debrief, TV interviews?

I think it unlikely.

Exile 1976 wrote: January 16th, 2024, 8:00 am Without Flynny we wouldn’t be playing in the Football League. For what he did in keeping us up and taking us to two play off finals, he remains one of our best managers we’ve had.
For my part I am ambivalent with regards to Michael Flynn. However I do agree that the escape from relegation back in 2017 was an incredible achievement.

I think you only have to look at our record since he left to appreciate that his face fitted at this club, and we tended to get better results when he was here than since he left. He had better budgets of course but most of that came about from his own successes, so that's fair enough. Hopefully GC will get the same luxury next season if we manage to make a few quid this year from the cup.

I did get the feeling that he was maybe a difficult character to manage for the board, and maybe this is what ultimately resulted in him leaving.

Some managers just do well at some clubs, look at Westley with Stevenage. I'd say the guy was bordering on psychotic with some of his moves when he was here, but it worked there. If we ever find ourselves without a manager in future, I wouldn't be unhappy with him coming back.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 15th, 2024, 2:09 pm
Kevinmoorefellover wrote: January 15th, 2024, 2:06 pm I think Flynn’s options for jobs close to home are running out.
Agree. He might get one more job offer but FGR or similar are probably the best he will get.
Here's my prediction...Flynn won't get another job this season and may turn up managing in the National League next season with someone like Woking.
He had 3 League 2 jobs now and hasn't set the world alight even though he has had Good budgets at them all allegedly.
Yes he saved us from the drop and got us to the playoffs, that's why Walsall took a chance on him but he didn't do very good there. Swindon was a very similar story. I can't see many Chairmen giving him another chance until he does something at a lesser level. His stock was high when he left us but has plummeted since with poor performances at clubs with good budgets.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 16th, 2024, 9:21 am
Exile 1976 wrote: January 16th, 2024, 8:00 am Without Flynny we wouldn’t be playing in the Football League. For what he did in keeping us up and taking us to two play off finals, he remains one of our best managers we’ve had.
For my part I am ambivalent with regards to Michael Flynn. However I do agree that the escape from relegation back in 2017 was an incredible achievement.
You're an old curmudgeon Stanley.

neilcork68 wrote: January 16th, 2024, 9:29 am
Kevinmoorefellover wrote: January 15th, 2024, 2:06 pm I think Flynn’s options for jobs close to home are running out.
Agree. He might get one more job offer but FGR or similar are probably the best he will get.
Here's my prediction...Flynn won't get another job this season and may turn up managing in the National League next season with someone like Woking.
He had 3 League 2 jobs now and hasn't set the world alight even though he has had Good budgets at them all allegedly.
Yes he saved us from the drop and got us to the playoffs, that's why Walsall took a chance on him but he didn't do very good there. Swindon was a very similar story. I can't see many Chairmen giving him another chance until he does something at a lesser level. His stock was high when he left us but has plummeted since with poor performances at clubs with good budgets.
The thing is his stock is still quite high IMO. Hats is also a big factor as he's a brilliant #2. (* Don't forget Swindon is an absolute basket case. They'll plummet this season and go pop/down next season unless they get a Disney/Oil type buyer). Granted, MF/WH aren't the Cowleys but I still think they've got another L2 or crazily a L1 job in them. I think they'd do a great job with a 'big' NL club but I don't think Flynny's ego would let him take a NL job. He still thinks he's Thierry and Pep's mate from his coaching courses and playing Citeh in the cup.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: January 16th, 2024, 10:15 am
neilcork68 wrote: January 16th, 2024, 9:29 am
The thing is his stock is still quite high IMO. Hats is also a big factor as he's a brilliant #2. (* Don't forget Swindon is an absolute basket case. They'll plummet this season and go pop/down next season unless they get a Disney/Oil type buyer). Granted, MF/WH aren't the Cowleys but I still think they've got another L2 or crazily a L1 job in them. I think they'd do a great job with a 'big' NL club but I don't think Flynny's ego would let him take a NL job. He still thinks he's Thierry and Pep's mate from his coaching courses and playing Citeh in the cup.
Actually I think that Hats was the key to Flynn's early success, look what happened to Rowberry when he left.

I agree. I didn't mind Flynn leaving but I was disappointed when Hatswell left. But putting a successful coach and vastly experienced player under an inexperienced coach with virtually no record as a player would have been ridiculous. Hatswell had to be manager if he stayed and it seems he didn't see himself in that role.

No disrespect to Hats, but sometimes the number two gets the gig by being 'number two' to a manager who is in demand. Where Flynn went, Hats soon followed. That strategy will fail if Flynn doesn't get an offer within a reasonable timescale.

No disrespect to Hats, but sometimes the number two gets the gig by being 'number two' to a manager who is in demand. Where Flynn went, Hats soon followed. That strategy will fail if Flynn doesn't get an offer within a reasonable timescale.