Re: Flynn

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: January 16th, 2024, 10:53 am
Chepstow'sFine wrote: January 16th, 2024, 10:15 am
neilcork68 wrote: January 16th, 2024, 9:29 am
Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 15th, 2024, 2:09 pm
Kevinmoorefellover wrote: January 15th, 2024, 2:06 pm I think Flynn’s options for jobs close to home are running out.
Agree. He might get one more job offer but FGR or similar are probably the best he will get.
Here's my prediction...Flynn won't get another job this season and may turn up managing in the National League next season with someone like Woking.
He had 3 League 2 jobs now and hasn't set the world alight even though he has had Good budgets at them all allegedly.
Yes he saved us from the drop and got us to the playoffs, that's why Walsall took a chance on him but he didn't do very good there. Swindon was a very similar story. I can't see many Chairmen giving him another chance until he does something at a lesser level. His stock was high when he left us but has plummeted since with poor performances at clubs with good budgets.
The thing is his stock is still quite high IMO. Hats is also a big factor as he's a brilliant #2. (* Don't forget Swindon is an absolute basket case. They'll plummet this season and go pop/down next season unless they get a Disney/Oil type buyer). Granted, MF/WH aren't the Cowleys but I still think they've got another L2 or crazily a L1 job in them. I think they'd do a great job with a 'big' NL club but I don't think Flynny's ego would let him take a NL job. He still thinks he's Thierry and Pep's mate from his coaching courses and playing Citeh in the cup.
Actually I think that Hats was the key to Flynn's early success, look what happened to Rowberry when he left.
…and Lennie Lawrence!

I was probably the first person on here to question Flynny’s ability and say that he wasn’t as good as he thought he was.I had a lot of stick from some who thought that Flynny was untouchable and beyond criticism.I am grateful for him keeping us up but,he did have luck with him in that run and the cup runs will live long with me.His general tactics were poor with either,bring everyone back and hang on for dear life if we were winning or,chuck 4 strikers up and launch balls hoping it might drop to someone.Two L2 sackings in less than a year back up my view that he wasn’t as good as he talked.He is very good at self promotion so could end up somewhere else in L2 but,most likely National League in the near future.

I'm in general agreement with Stan. I don't doubt that the great escape was a wonderful achievement but he sullied his reputation with his numerous deals signing players that shared his Agent. I think his better days as a Manager are behind him sadly...

wattsville_boy wrote: January 16th, 2024, 8:45 pm I'm in general agreement with Stan. I don't doubt that the great escape was a wonderful achievement but he sullied his reputation with his numerous deals signing players that shared his Agent. I think his better days as a Manager are behind him sadly...
You may well be right. But I personally think the agency thing was blown out of proportion, all managers at this level have a source of acquiring players. Rowberry used Cardiff for example and didn't seem to know much else.

If Mike Flynn ever returned here as manager, I bet you he'd do well.

rncfc wrote: January 17th, 2024, 12:01 am
wattsville_boy wrote: January 16th, 2024, 8:45 pm I'm in general agreement with Stan. I don't doubt that the great escape was a wonderful achievement but he sullied his reputation with his numerous deals signing players that shared his Agent. I think his better days as a Manager are behind him sadly...
You may well be right. But I personally think the agency thing was blown out of proportion, all managers at this level have a source of acquiring players. Rowberry used Cardiff for example and didn't seem to know much else.

Hopefully that won't happen, did his stint, did reasonably well, got itchy feet and left, we need to go forward not go back, he had his time

CountyJeff wrote: January 17th, 2024, 12:06 am

Hopefully that won't happen, did his stint, did reasonably well, got itchy feet and left, we need to go forward not go back, he had his time
Yep, I'm not disagreeing with that. I think our current manager is a very hard working and capable person who deserves a bash at managing us with a competitive budget.

I was talking theoretically.

rncfc wrote: January 17th, 2024, 12:17 am
CountyJeff wrote: January 17th, 2024, 12:06 am

Yep, I'm not disagreeing with that. I think our current manager is a very hard working and capable person who deserves a bash at managing us with a competitive budget.

I was talking theoretically.
Agree with that I’ve been really pleased with GC - a pragmatist not an ideaologue who knows the game upside down and inside out and who fits our ideology. Hang on to him Huw if you’ve got any sense of this crazy port city of ours. No fancy Dans required!

I don’t think it was ever disclosed what the contractual arrangement was that Elite had setup with the Club, to me there was always a certain whiff about this Foxhall/Flynn deal that very few people even seemed to be aware about.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: January 17th, 2024, 6:49 am

I don’t think it was ever disclosed what the contractual arrangement was that Elite had setup with the Club, to me there was always a certain whiff about this Foxhall/Flynn deal that very few people even seemed to be aware about.
And that 'whiff' will always be attached to Flynn and his time at the club. And if County are going to progress under the Jenkins regime they will need a structure and a Manager that looks to acquire promising youngsters and develop them. I'm not convinced on that front that County either atm but I'm willing to give Jenkins and GC an opportunity to see if they could put such in place...

wattsville_boy wrote: January 17th, 2024, 10:16 am
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: January 17th, 2024, 6:49 am

And that 'whiff' will always be attached to Flynn and his time at the club. And if County are going to progress under the Jenkins regime they will need a structure and a Manager that looks to acquire promising youngsters and develop them. I'm not convinced on that front that County either atm but I'm willing to give Jenkins and GC an opportunity to see if they could put such in place...
Apologies I forgot to mention that a similar 'whiff' of potential dodgy deals will always be associated with the likes of Clough, Rednapp Snr and many more besides.

Talking of little whiffs. Gambling on anything especially in the far east is big business. First goal in a game, first corner, first throw in. It's difficult for one player to manufacture the first goal accurately, or first corner for that matter. But throw in?
Now go on YouTube and watch the Wrexham game at Wembley in 2013.