Why the fuss? (upcoming 'big' games)

Cannot really understand the fuss about the Wrexham game, yes I'm among those who express my disgust at the media love in, but as for Wrexham as as a concept and their fans I'm borderline indifferent tbh, the far bigger game for me is v Swindon, or when in the same division Rovers & Exeter.

As for Man Utd well we've had a number of 'big' games of late - even earlier in the season v Brentford - I get that people think its a 'magical' experience taking your little uns to a game v a big club but tbh little kids don't care if its Man Utd of Mansfield, for the 'yoof' its more about the laughs, pea-cocking in designer gear and the sneaky can of cider on the way and as for grown ups, especially those who rarely attend well... I've no animus towards the 'I've been a county fan for years mate, went to all the play off finals, FA trophy, Spurs games, Man City game and Leicester away' brigade but if you wanted to guarantee tickets to 'big' games you could have bought an ST (cheapest one on the North terrace or a half ST if money is tight) or joined the trust (or stick your hands deep into your pockets and do hospitality?) - the game is on terrestrial TV so nobody will not get to watch it.

I'm an ST holder so can get tickets anyway so maybe am being obtuse here and of course all this interest is a massive boost for the club.

Re: Why the fuss? (upcoming 'big' games)

Good Morning

Well, I’m an infrequent attendee, just as you state, all the big games, if you have to decide which few games then surely the important ones are favourites.
I get a feeling like Christmas Eve before any County game I attend. Maybe those lucky enough to attend every week, or every home game miss out on that buzz of doing something special.?

Phil in Northampton

phil_in_npton wrote: January 17th, 2024, 9:40 am Good Morning

Well, I’m an infrequent attendee, just as you state, all the big games, if you have to decide which few games then surely the important ones are favourites.
I get a feeling like Christmas Eve before any County game I attend. Maybe those lucky enough to attend every week, or every home game miss out on that buzz of doing something special.?

Phil in Northampton
Absolutely.

Further if Newport County have an average attendance of 4,000 and if the average support gets to 14 home games per season, it in fact means County have 6,000 regular supporters. Many of us live too far away to get to most games. I try to get over once or twice a season, those in Australia or the US may go years between a game. We're still supporters.

And if we wish to grow our club surely we need to encourage and welcome supporters who rarely attend. Imagine you went to a restaurant you had never been to before. The waiter ignores you, your fellow customers mutter about the fact they don't like occasional diners. Hardly likely to encourage you to go there again is it?

Phil in Northampton
Don't get me wrong Phil I understand there are exiled fans who are just as committed as us local ones, and as you say makes sense to pick and choose your games, we just may have different views on what constitutes an 'important' or 'big' game.

CathedralCounty wrote: January 17th, 2024, 8:40 am Cannot really understand the fuss about the Wrexham game, yes I'm among those who express my disgust at the media love in, but as for Wrexham as as a concept and their fans I'm borderline indifferent tbh, the far bigger game for me is v Swindon, or when in the same division Rovers & Exeter.

As for Man Utd well we've had a number of 'big' games of late - even earlier in the season v Brentford - I get that people think its a 'magical' experience taking your little uns to a game v a big club but tbh little kids don't care if its Man Utd of Mansfield, for the 'yoof' its more about the laughs, pea-cocking in designer gear and the sneaky can of cider on the way and as for grown ups, especially those who rarely attend well... I've no animus towards the 'I've been a county fan for years mate, went to all the play off finals, FA trophy, Spurs games, Man City game and Leicester away' brigade but if you wanted to guarantee tickets to 'big' games you could have bought an ST (cheapest one on the North terrace or a half ST if money is tight) or joined the trust (or stick your hands deep into your pockets and do hospitality?) - the game is on terrestrial TV so nobody will not get to watch it.

I'm an ST holder so can get tickets anyway so maybe am being obtuse here and of course all this interest is a massive boost for the club.
'little kids don't care if it's Man Utd of (or) Mansfield'? Really? How old are these little kids, toddlers or babies perhaps? I think most little kids who follow football would get more excited if they were told they were being taken to watch Man U rather than Mansfield.

CathedralCounty wrote: January 17th, 2024, 9:57 am

Phil in Northampton
Don't get me wrong Phil I understand there are exiled fans who are just as committed as us local ones, and as you say makes sense to pick and choose your games, we just may have different views on what constitutes an 'important' or 'big' game.
If you don't think drawing man United at home is a big thing I think it's you with the problem

aberexile wrote: January 17th, 2024, 10:30 am
CathedralCounty wrote: January 17th, 2024, 8:40 am Cannot really understand the fuss about the Wrexham game, yes I'm among those who express my disgust at the media love in, but as for Wrexham as as a concept and their fans I'm borderline indifferent tbh, the far bigger game for me is v Swindon, or when in the same division Rovers & Exeter.

'little kids don't care if it's Man Utd of (or) Mansfield'? Really? How old are these little kids, toddlers or babies perhaps? I think most little kids who follow football would get more excited if they were told they were being taken to watch Man U rather than Mansfield.
I'm not a parent but have nieces/nephews/god children and mostly, especially the ones under 11, want to spend time with dad/uncle/parents and get excited at the idea of going to an event - its us grown ups who make a big deal of stuff - OK yeah Man Utd might be a bit more exciting than Mansfield but my point is it's spending time with dad and having some sweets or burger and chips and listening to grown ups swear and all that goes with football as opposed to it being a 'big' game.

CathedralCounty wrote: January 17th, 2024, 11:24 am
Trev wrote: January 17th, 2024, 10:22 am Hi can I have your 2 tickets then please if your not going ?
Oh I'm going - never said I wasn't a massive hypocrite!
I do get Cathedral's point. I think it was the Spurs game but I remember choosing to come over for two League games rather than one big Cup tie. Spurs was also live on tv. And let's be honest we won't be walking out at Wembley for the Cup final. And let's face it, standing on a terrace on a cold February afternoon v Colchester is a habit we can't break.

But again Manchester United at home is the glamour tie. I was thinking, the present United team are not as good as Manchester City, Arsenal, Liverpool, probably Brighton. But if we could choose a tie, we would I suspect nearly all choose this one.

UPTHEPORT wrote: January 17th, 2024, 10:54 am
CathedralCounty wrote: January 17th, 2024, 9:57 am

Phil in Northampton
If you don't think drawing man United at home is a big thing I think it's you with the problem
In the abstract of course it a 'big' game but I personally will be more excited about [say] the Swindon game - Man Utd is a very 'glamorous' distraction and circus but without being a flat cap Luddite or too cool for school I actually prefer 'real' football, again not knocking the 'plastics' bring em on as they subsidize my club for the down times, but for me personally I support Newport County week in week out and actually like a gritty game which we can actually win against a niggly rival which is virtually ignored by the media and fair weather fans rather than a bling bling game where everyone suddenly everyone (media, etc) wants to be our mate even though I acknowledge that such games brings money and fleeting interest.

Horses for courses - I'm just not getting a Christmas eve feeling for either Wrexham or Man Utd - the former is against a moneybags club and a media concocted narrative about it being a 'Welsh Derby' the latter an unwinnable game, neither game will be of significance come the end of the season and any 'windfall' is soon spent (players wage demands and agents fees, etc are for another thread!) - now a late surge and play off semi final v Barrow - that would get me going.

Clubs in the same league as us should be extremely grateful - we consistently sell out the away allocations, we consistently provide you with your record attendances of the season (and beyond in many cases). As I think we will for you this Saturday.
As those wishy washy locals want to come and see the Wrexham and hope we get beat. Now, I realise this isn't going to go down well with some, but unfortunately, as Rafa said, It's a fact. Look at the stats.

So, please form an orderly queue to send us Wrexham folk your gratitude, thanks and best wishes for helping to swell your clubs bank accounts and allow you to experience what a packed out stadium feels like. I can then relay this to our supporters here in Wales, and our new fans across the pond and beyond.

Diolch yn fawr pawb