Re: Fair and balanced comments on the Eastleigh forum

Really interesting. Sometimes by design, often without malice, what is said and what is reported as being said are often different I am always happy to either stand by what I have said or withdraw if I am demonstrably wrong.

A good example of accidental misquoting which could be misconstrued is on the BBC website. 'Manchester United tie the biggest in County's history'. Graham Coughlan.

Well for those of us who have supported County for decades to have someone who has been here a year, telling us about our history would be the height of arrogance.

But that is not what Coughlan said. What he actually said was 'In my opinion, and I'm biased, this is the biggest game in Newport County's history.' That is a properly respectful thing to say. The reason I point this out now is that as Coughlan also said football can bring you down just as quickly. A few bad results and some on here and elsewhere will say that they never liked that arrogant git Coughlan.

My opinion. Wrexham Saturday is the biggest game in our history. The next game is always the most important.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 17th, 2024, 12:52 pm Really interesting. Sometimes by design, often without malice, what is said and what is reported as being said are often different I am always happy to either stand by what I have said or withdraw if I am demonstrably wrong.

A good example of accidental misquoting which could be misconstrued is on the BBC website. 'Manchester United tie the biggest in County's history'. Graham Coughlan.

Well for those of us who have supported County for decades to have someone who has been here a year, telling us about our history would be the height of arrogance.

But that is not what Coughlan said. What he actually said was 'In my opinion, and I'm biased, this is the biggest game in Newport County's history.' That is a properly respectful thing to say. The reason I point this out now is that as Coughlan also said football can bring you down just as quickly. A few bad results and some on here and elsewhere will say that they never liked that arrogant git Coughlan.

My opinion. Wrexham Saturday is the biggest game in our history. The next game is always the most important.
True of course. In any case old scroats like me can remember attendances well into the 20k s for Arsenal and Danny Blanchflower’s Spurs a wonderful double side in the good old, bad old days at our beloved Somerton Park.

County Exile wrote: January 18th, 2024, 11:14 am Yes and JC did say in that interview that others may think differently and that some would consider a 5th round tie against Manchester City bigger than a 4th round against Manchester United. For me the biggest home County match I have seen was a European Cup Winners Cup quarter final tie.
I'm with you on that one, I doubt we will ever see a bigger match in my lifetime. I would also put the play off final as bigger than anything we are likely to have this season.

County Exile wrote: January 18th, 2024, 11:14 am Yes and JC did say in that interview that others may think differently and that some would consider a 5th round tie against Manchester City bigger than a 4th round against Manchester United. For me the biggest home County match I have seen was a European Cup Winners Cup quarter final tie.
Always will be the biggest game ever. Play off final second. Hellenic League Cup Final replay third...

wattsville_boy wrote: January 18th, 2024, 11:50 am
Always will be the biggest game ever. Play off final second. Hellenic League Cup Final replay third...
What madness of a day that Hellenic Cup match was :lol:

Spot on. Absolutely 100% agree. Nothing will come close to that.

Amberexile wrote: January 18th, 2024, 12:32 pm
wattsville_boy wrote: January 18th, 2024, 11:50 am
What madness of a day that Hellenic Cup match was :lol:
I sometimes think it was something I dreamt, not actually real...