Re: The default position remains the same. Newport County lie.

Bangitintrnet wrote: January 24th, 2024, 10:01 am
rncfc wrote: January 24th, 2024, 7:44 am Are we honestly now suggesting there's a data protection issue between the club and the club trust? Hahaha!!!

I'm sure the relevant authority could be obtained guys. I imagine the same person could authorise it on both sides in fact.

An email from the trust to the club would do it.

Whatever is needed just do it. Stop making excuses and let's join the modern world. If you need any help, ask for it.

Even post-takeover, I sincerely hope that HJ and his team looks to document what skills are available within our fan base, and take advantage of them at heavily subsidised/free rates as and when needed, an essential part of running a lower league club.
Season tickets are by there very nature for a fixed period paid up front.
Trust membership varies, as members can simply chose to stop paying and end membership at any point, as well as others starting at any point.

So any data held on season tickets is comparatively easier to update on a separate system, and only periodically maintain.

All of which doesn't stop it being done, as long as trust members can have a grown up debate about the issues/costs it presents, set against is it wise to provide incentives for people NOT to attend more frequently.

I noticed that the percentage saving for a senior to adult ticket was much reduced. It is a game that was always going to sell out, and could be sold out if it was adults only. That wouldn't be sensible, but gaining the maximum out of our luck is.
I don't doubt the admin involved is more laborious, but there are pinchpoints at which it becomes particularly important. Nothing wrong with deferring updates until these points in time.

When you've got through to the 3rd round is one of those. When you've then managed to get through to the 4th round is another. You never know your luck, a scrappy draw on Sunday and we might be needing it for a replay at Old Trafford, the demand for which would again be through the roof.

I can't remember when, but I am pretty sure the club said when it changed ticket supplier to Ticketmaster that one of the reasons for choosing them was the ability to include Trust membership data on the system - precisely for this kind of occasion.

Why it hasn't been done is a question for those running the club and the Trust who, at least for the moment, are the same group of people.

Perhaps someone attending tomorrow night's Trust members' meeting could ask the question?

rncfc wrote: January 24th, 2024, 7:44 am Are we honestly now suggesting there's a data protection issue between the club and the club trust? Hahaha!!!

I'm sure the relevant authority could be obtained guys. I imagine the same person could authorise it on both sides in fact.

Whatever is needed just do it. Stop making excuses and let's join the modern world. If you need any help, ask for it.

Even post-takeover, I sincerely hope that HJ and his team looks to document what skills are available within our fan base, and take advantage of them at heavily subsidised/free rates as and when needed, an essential part of running a lower league club.
"We" aren't, I am..

In order to get that "authorised" the Trust would have had to have explicitly stated that membership information would be used for the purposes of Newport County ticketing, and the Trust members confirm that was an expected use of their data. One of the key tenets of GDPR is that you can't take info that you've got sitting around and do what you like with it. So if it hasn't been asked for, they can't use the information for any other reason.

Speaking as someone who, when booking accommodation in Qatar in 2022 had my email address shared with 99 randoms on a thread requesting a bunch of additional information (including passport numbers and address when I wouldn't be home) I think GDPR is a sound principle.
Last edited by SJG99 on January 24th, 2024, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonesy3 wrote: January 24th, 2024, 12:43 pm I can't remember when, but I am pretty sure the club said when it changed ticket supplier to Ticketmaster that one of the reasons for choosing them was the ability to include Trust membership data on the system - precisely for this kind of occasion.

Why it hasn't been done is a question for those running the club and the Trust who, at least for the moment, are the same group of people.

Perhaps someone attending tomorrow night's Trust members' meeting could ask the question?
They probably realised they'd have to reconnect with all the Trust members for explicit permission to use their info, and there was definitely not enough time to plan and do that, convey the timescales for all the different groups and their ticket access, and also config the system. Clearly it was work that needed to have been done provisionally (and repeatedly) and should be planned asap to avoid Members having this kind of inconvenience in future.

SJG99 wrote: January 24th, 2024, 3:36 pm
Jonesy3 wrote: January 24th, 2024, 12:43 pm I can't remember when, but I am pretty sure the club said when it changed ticket supplier to Ticketmaster that one of the reasons for choosing them was the ability to include Trust membership data on the system - precisely for this kind of occasion.

They probably realised they'd have to reconnect with all the Trust members for explicit permission to use their info, and there was definitely not enough time to plan and do that, convey the timescales for all the different groups and their ticket access, and also config the system. Clearly it was work that needed to have been done provisionally (and repeatedly) and should be planned asap to avoid Members having this kind of inconvenience in future.
I think the point I'm making is it could and should have been done when the new system came in two years ago.

SJG99 wrote: January 24th, 2024, 3:32 pm

"We" aren't, I am..

In order to get that "authorised" the Trust would have had to have explicitly stated that membership information would be used for the purposes of Newport County ticketing, and the Trust members confirm that was an expected use of their data. One of the key tenets of GDPR is that you can't take info that you've got sitting around and do what you like with it. So if it hasn't been asked for, they can't use the information for any other reason.

Speaking as someone who, when booking accommodation in Qatar in 2022 had my email address shared with 99 randoms on a thread requesting a bunch of additional information (including passport numbers and address when I wouldn't be home) I think GDPR is a sound principle.
Jeez, if Business Prevention Officers like this are standing in the way of common sense where sorting out trust members' tickets are concerned, then I despair.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 24th, 2024, 8:25 am

Hopefully Huw Jenkins will make ticketing and everything else far more efficient at Newport County. And as I have said even though Huw Jenkins will be doing it to make money, that interest of his is best achieved by making Newport County successful.

One strange irony arising from this. The best draw financially for a club such as Newport County is Manchester United away. Whilst we are all dreaming of County beating Manchester United on Sunday, Huw Jenkins is dreaming that the game ends in a draw.
Agree with your last point. Beating them in the replay would be the best solution!

Jonesy3 wrote: January 24th, 2024, 3:38 pm I think the point I'm making is it could and should have been done when the new system came in two years ago.
Can't argue with that, but I can also see why it wasn't prioritised given the rarity of the need.

Maybe a bit of stability in leadership will give us some medium and long-term planning instead of being hand to mouth (though I'm pretty sure from comments I saw about ticketing that any kind of club-led paid membership scheme that isn't the Trust would be unpopular - one of those things clubs with more complex ticketing needs all have).

rncfc wrote: January 24th, 2024, 3:45 pm Jeez, if Business Prevention Officers like this are standing in the way of common sense where sorting out trust members' tickets are concerned, then I despair.
Not breaking the law is quite important in business.

It's not about "common sense", it's about compliance with data protection, particularly given the likelihood of fines the club (still) can't afford from the information commissioner.

SJG99 wrote: January 24th, 2024, 7:41 pm
rncfc wrote: January 24th, 2024, 3:45 pm Jeez, if Business Prevention Officers like this are standing in the way of common sense where sorting out trust members' tickets are concerned, then I despair.
Not breaking the law is quite important in business.

It's not about "common sense", it's about compliance with data protection, particularly given the likelihood of fines the club (still) can't afford from the information commissioner.
And tell me, which member of the trust is going to complain to the IC about having their account registered on Ticketmaster to save them a 6 hour queue in the cold?

I bet you're a right laugh at parties mate.

rncfc wrote: January 24th, 2024, 7:44 pm And tell me, which member of the trust is going to complain to the IC about having their account registered on Ticketmaster to save them a 6 hour queue in the cold?

You're absolutely right, I must have forgotten the bit where party behaviour saves the club thousands of pounds in fines. :roll:

For those actually interested in why the club can't do what has suggested without consent rather than making unoriginal juvenile comments: https://www.wrighthassall.co.uk/knowled ... orts-clubs

SJG99 wrote: January 24th, 2024, 8:11 pm
rncfc wrote: January 24th, 2024, 7:44 pm And tell me, which member of the trust is going to complain to the IC about having their account registered on Ticketmaster to save them a 6 hour queue in the cold?

You're absolutely right, I must have forgotten the bit where party behaviour saves the club thousands of pounds in fines. :roll:

For those actually interested in why the club can't do what has suggested without consent rather than making unoriginal juvenile comments: https://www.wrighthassall.co.uk/knowled ... orts-clubs
You're talking like there's no way around it, there are multiple ways around it.

And, as already said, which trust member is going to complain to the information commissioner about being saved a 6 hour queue?

Total jobsworth.

rncfc wrote: January 24th, 2024, 8:12 pm

You're talking like there's no way around it, there are multiple ways around it.

And, as already said, which trust member is going to complain to the information commissioner about being saved a 6 hour queue?

Total jobsworth.
There's one way around it, ensure that "data should only be collected and processed for a specific, legitimate purpose and not used any way that is not compatible with that purpose" by requesting that Trust members give their approval for using their details as part of County's ticketing activities.

SJG99 wrote: January 24th, 2024, 8:20 pm

Total jobsworth.
There's one way around it, ensure that "data should only be collected and processed for a specific, legitimate purpose and not used any way that is not compatible with that purpose" by requesting that Trust members give their approval for using their details as part of County's ticketing activities.
Thanks for that mate. Riveting stuff.

rncfc wrote: January 24th, 2024, 9:21 pm
SJG99 wrote: January 24th, 2024, 8:20 pm

Total jobsworth.
Thanks for that mate. Riveting stuff.
God some bullshit about GDPR, it relates to storage and sharing protocols, nothing to do with its content or collection, otherwise every CCTV system in the country would be in breach of it.