Re: Rodney Parade

CathedralCounty wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:42 am
DT1892 wrote: February 8th, 2024, 8:39 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: February 8th, 2024, 10:58 am
DT1892 wrote: February 7th, 2024, 7:23 pm
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: February 7th, 2024, 11:48 am
rncfc wrote: February 7th, 2024, 9:41 am I wonder what funding is available within the women's game at the minute? With all the cash flying around from somewhere, there would surely be a way to tick a few boxes here:

1) Form a ladies team.
2) Direct any subsidies towards RP Ltd.
3) Use this to reduce our own rent.
4) Be seen to be doing the right things in the process.
I can tell you from Yeovil’s experience that running a semi professional woman’s team is an absolute money pit
Depends on where they're playing. We'd likely be in the Welsh system, with the second-tier hosting teams like Caldicot Town and Cwmbran Celtic, who aren't semi-professional. If they can maintain their own women's side, then surely we'd be able to do the same?
Those women's teams are very much amateur and player funded they'd pay 'subs' to play - not to get into the whole debate around women's football but its not a good option for 'County at this moment - there are more than enough pathways for aspiring women and girls we'd be adding nothing to the landscape and it'd look disingenuous bandwagon jumping.
What bandwagon? I doubt there are many eyes on the division that we'd have to enter into. I think that the only professional club in Wales not to have a women's side to commit to putting out a side would be a positive step forward, particularly for the women and girls who support the club anyway. I'm sure they'd love the chance to represent the County.

Regardless, I can't imagine that it's among the top priorities for the club at the moment, which is a shame.
I don’t see it as a 'shame' 'County are not prioritizing this at all - we're a [men's] professional football club – there are plenty of women’s teams in the area to play for whether independent or attached to [other] men’s clubs.

We'd only be doing it because everyone else is and we risk looking like we’re on the 'wrong side of history' or bad PR if we don’t have a women’s team, we’d add nothing to the women’s football landscape or pathway as there are already plenty of far better routes for talented players and we wouldn’t have any success on the pitch either as we wouldn’t be able to commit funds to it - a waste of everyone’s time and patronizing and insulting to the women and girls who play the game.
I teach & coach many girls who wish they could grow up and play for Newport County, I completely disagree.

As I said, I think it's a shame we aren't putting a women's team among our priorities. I completely understand why and agree that there are many areas for us to develop as a club, but I still think it's disappointing that we're the only professional team in the country without one.

Bangitintrnet wrote: February 9th, 2024, 6:34 pm Whatever the priorities are, to me they shouldn't be driven by the Trust membership.

We shouldn't waste this opportunity thinking that we know best, or that we have the experience and knowledge to decide priorities......
The Trust membership should not judge the priorities of the AFC. But I think they have the right to judge the priorities of the Trust. As joint owners, I think we also have a right to forward the Trust ideas, whatever they are. The ideal situation is that the AFC's and The Trust's priorities coincide - but they may not.

Chris Davis wrote: February 9th, 2024, 6:50 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: February 9th, 2024, 6:34 pm Whatever the priorities are, to me they shouldn't be driven by the Trust membership.

We shouldn't waste this opportunity thinking that we know best, or that we have the experience and knowledge to decide priorities......
The Trust membership should not judge the priorities of the AFC. But I think they have the right to judge the priorities of the Trust. As joint owners, I think we also have a right to forward the Trust ideas, whatever they are. The ideal situation is that the AFC's and The Trust's priorities coincide - but they may not.

But they can, and they should.........

Pretending that WE know best is at the heart of the problem. Pretending that WE can provide solutions is the problem. The sooner the trust turns into an organisation that can TRUST the better as far as I am concerned, but as long as it is driven by people with no experience or knowledge, but need to have their say, it will always be just a back seat driver, stretching resources for little gain.

Mike Flynn rightly stated how proud he was of County playing Man Utd. He had the belief and transferred that energy into the players for the great escape. He mentioned Leeds as being his proudest moment and to me that was the start, of getting pride back into the town, and money back into the coffers. So what if money was spent on 2 playoff finals, and coping with covid related problems. It also brought 10 top clubs to Rodney Parade, who didn't find it easy. That put pride in the shirt, and that starts the ball rolling. County have to put up temporary stands at Rodney Parade to cope with the demand. That hasn't happened since Newport Rugby played the All Black's....................

countymadbel wrote: February 7th, 2024, 8:04 am Been thinking why don't we with the Dragons get a sponsor for the stadium and rename it? Other clubs do it, extra revenue could be used to yearly costs of running the stadium. Thoughts???
Going back on to the topic and that's about sponsoring the stadium and not about us having a women's football team

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: February 9th, 2024, 7:29 pm
Chris Davis wrote: February 9th, 2024, 7:25 pm Am I missing something but is it not entirely the Dragon's issue to get a sponsor? Moreover, if they do, the Dragon's keep the money. I cannot see that we have any input or benefit from any aspect of this.
Have the Dragons actually bought the ground from the WRU yet?
Yes, the Buttress consortium bought the region & the ground back in September just before the rugby season started.

Jonesy3 wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:32 pm
Chris Davis wrote: February 9th, 2024, 7:25 pm Am I missing something but is it not entirely the Dragon's issue to get a sponsor? Moreover, if they do, the Dragon's keep the money. I cannot see that we have any input or benefit from any aspect of this.
Yes, the Buttress consortium bought the region & the ground back in September just before the rugby season started.
Well that’s a worry should the Dragons fail and the ground now in the hands of businessmen.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: February 10th, 2024, 6:36 am

Well that’s a worry should the Dragons fail and the ground now in the hands of businessmen.
Not really it’s not prime housing land (unlikely to get planning permission & loads of legal challenges) pretty sure it’s land protected by covenant for sports anyway (otherwise there would already be “luxury apartments” at Rodney Hall surely?).

Aside from which the ownership claims to be County fans, all in all we have a very good position in both location and leverage terms - ‘without Newport County as tenants you’re asset is worthless’ (put more subtler than that in any negotiation of course).

CathedralCounty wrote: February 10th, 2024, 9:19 am

Not really it’s not prime housing land (unlikely to get planning permission & loads of legal challenges) pretty sure it’s land protected by covenant for sports anyway (otherwise there would already be “luxury apartments” at Rodney Hall surely?).

Aside from which the ownership claims to be County fans, all in all we have a very good position in both location and leverage terms - ‘without Newport County as tenants you’re asset is worthless’ (put more subtler than that in any negotiation of course).
Mr Buttress "Unless we can make RP financially viable, you haven't a ground to play on.". Let's hope both parties can see that it's a mutual survival thing.

Our club is also now in the hands of ‘businessmen’.

Jonesy3 wrote: February 10th, 2024, 12:05 pm
Our club is also now in the hands of ‘businessmen’.
The fundamental difference is that our businessman does not have freeholds to potentially capitalise on.