Re: Rodney Parade

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: February 7th, 2024, 11:48 am
rncfc wrote: February 7th, 2024, 9:41 am I wonder what funding is available within the women's game at the minute? With all the cash flying around from somewhere, there would surely be a way to tick a few boxes here:

1) Form a ladies team.
2) Direct any subsidies towards RP Ltd.
3) Use this to reduce our own rent.
4) Be seen to be doing the right things in the process.
I can tell you from Yeovil’s experience that running a semi professional woman’s team is an absolute money pit
Depends on where they're playing. We'd likely be in the Welsh system, with the second-tier hosting teams like Caldicot Town and Cwmbran Celtic, who aren't semi-professional. If they can maintain their own women's side, then surely we'd be able to do the same?

countymadbel wrote: February 7th, 2024, 8:10 pm Watch this space next season we will watch the county over the "Budweiser stadium" 😆
I know you're being facetious but don't think sports venues are allowed alcohol sponsorship anymore...and soon no gambling ones either - think we'll be aiming more at the mid-lower level 'Friars Walk parade' or 'Newport Market stadium' - although nothing wrong with aiming high - on that we are on the flight path to Europe from Cardiff airport so maybe Bristol airport would take an ad out on the bisley roof? (Brentford had one for years on their old stadium 'next time fly KLM' as they were on Heathrow flight path).

DT1892 wrote: February 7th, 2024, 7:23 pm
rncfc wrote: February 7th, 2024, 9:41 am I wonder what funding is available within the women's game at the minute? With all the cash flying around from somewhere, there would surely be a way to tick a few boxes here:

1) Form a ladies team.
I can tell you from Yeovil’s experience that running a semi professional woman’s team is an absolute money pit
Depends on where they're playing. We'd likely be in the Welsh system, with the second-tier hosting teams like Caldicot Town and Cwmbran Celtic, who aren't semi-professional. If they can maintain their own women's side, then surely we'd be able to do the same?
Those women's teams are very much amateur and player funded they'd pay 'subs' to play - not to get into the whole debate around women's football but its not a good option for 'County at this moment - there are more than enough pathways for aspiring women and girls we'd be adding nothing to the landscape and it'd look disingenuous bandwagon jumping.

CathedralCounty wrote: February 8th, 2024, 10:54 am
countymadbel wrote: February 7th, 2024, 8:10 pm Watch this space next season we will watch the county over the "Budweiser stadium" 😆
I know you're being facetious but don't think sports venues are allowed alcohol sponsorship anymore...and soon no gambling ones either - think we'll be aiming more at the mid-lower level 'Friars Walk parade' or 'Newport Market stadium' - although nothing wrong with aiming high - on that we are on the flight path to Europe from Cardiff airport so maybe Bristol airport would take an ad out on the bisley roof? (Brentford had one for years on their old stadium 'next time fly KLM' as they were on Heathrow flight path).
T I T S for Trotters independent Trader's, with a yellow Robin Reliant, on top of the Bisley.........

Mandela House was actually flats at Ashton Gate Bristol, and in some shots you can see a red building between the flats which is part of the ground.

Bangitintrnet wrote: February 8th, 2024, 11:23 am
T I T S for Trotters independent Trader's, with a yellow Robin Reliant, on top of the Bisley.........

Mandela House was actually flats at Ashton Gate Bristol, and in some shots you can see a red building between the flats which is part of the ground.
First five series were filmed at Harlech House, Acton, West London. They only moved it to Whitemead House, Duckmoor Street, Bristol when it became impossible to film outdoor shots in Acton due to fans flocking there. Either way it has no connection with Newport and doubt you could get planning permission to put a car atop the Compeed roof, even if you wanted to...

wattsville_boy wrote: February 8th, 2024, 11:52 am
Bangitintrnet wrote: February 8th, 2024, 11:23 am

First five series were filmed at Harlech House, Acton, West London. They only moved it to Whitemead House, Duckmoor Street, Bristol when it became impossible to film outdoor shots in Acton due to fans flocking there. Either way it has no connection with Newport and doubt you could get planning permission to put a car atop the Compeed roof, even if you wanted to...
Absolutely, but neither has Bristol Airport have any connection. Obviously there is no financial reason to write T I T S on the Bisley...........

In time we may see the trademark of the company who provides the finance for a North Terrace extension and cover though, who knows.....

CathedralCounty wrote: February 8th, 2024, 10:58 am

1) Form a ladies team.
Those women's teams are very much amateur and player funded they'd pay 'subs' to play - not to get into the whole debate around women's football but its not a good option for 'County at this moment - there are more than enough pathways for aspiring women and girls we'd be adding nothing to the landscape and it'd look disingenuous bandwagon jumping.
What bandwagon? I doubt there are many eyes on the division that we'd have to enter into. I think that the only professional club in Wales not to have a women's side to commit to putting out a side would be a positive step forward, particularly for the women and girls who support the club anyway. I'm sure they'd love the chance to represent the County.

Regardless, I can't imagine that it's among the top priorities for the club at the moment, which is a shame.

Somewhat belatedly, I listened to the 1912 Exiles podcast featuring Newport City women. The elephant in the room that they couldn't cover was maybe the best thing for women's football in Newport would be that the County set up a women's football team. The elephant being that it might devastate Newport City women's setup.

I have submitted to the Trust Board, my ideas for the future 'agenda' of the Trust. It includes this :

"6. Encouraging the development of an AFC team in women's league football.
Why? Women's football is growing both in terms of player participation and spectator attendance. Without women's football, the Club is absent in a a growing part of the game and risks being criticised as exclusionary."

It's just something that I would like to see looked at by the Trust in this consultation period. I see it as a very clear area where it fits within the Trust's remit of both supporting the County and the wider remit of encouraging wider participation in the game by different social groups in our area. The Trust could provide some money to support it and the AFC could provide coaching, analysis and fitness inputs and also perhaps some money. To me, it's a great joint venture that could ideally fit the Vision of both organisations.

I don't see this as a big expense area and in any event if it was part Trust funded, the Trust is not there to make a profit, which maybe something that impacts the AFC's thinking. The Trust is there to support the community by way of sport and primarily football.

Chris Davis wrote: February 9th, 2024, 8:59 am Somewhat belatedly, I listened to the 1912 Exiles podcast featuring Newport City women. The elephant in the room that they couldn't cover was maybe the best thing for women's football in Newport would be that the County set up a women's football team. The elephant being that it might devastate Newport City women's setup.

I have submitted to the Trust Board, my ideas for the future 'agenda' of the Trust. It includes this :

Why? Women's football is growing both in terms of player participation and spectator attendance. Without women's football, the Club is absent in a a growing part of the game and risks being criticised as exclusionary."

It's just something that I would like to see looked at by the Trust in this consultation period. I see it as a very clear area where it fits within the Trust's remit of both supporting the County and the wider remit of encouraging wider participation in the game by different social groups in our area. The Trust could provide some money to support it and the AFC could provide coaching, analysis and fitness inputs and also perhaps some money. To me, it's a great joint venture that could ideally fit the Vision of both organisations.

I don't see this as a big expense area and in any event if it was part Trust funded, the Trust is not there to make a profit, which maybe something that impacts the AFC's thinking. The Trust is there to support the community by way of sport and primarily football.
As I remember there once was a woman’s team under the County banner and the fact it is no longer around should tell us something. The amateur game has moved on and since the Premier Clubs got involved the expectation on pay has increased.
Right now forming a woman’s side would be a distraction as all our money should be aimed at securing a competitive budget for GC, along with improving and securing our tenure at RP.

Further, where would they play their games? Spytty seems to be heavily booked and match fees would preclude RP, in addition the pitch is already getting over used.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: February 9th, 2024, 9:26 am
Chris Davis wrote: February 9th, 2024, 8:59 am Somewhat belatedly, I listened to the 1912 Exiles podcast featuring Newport City women. The elephant in the room that they couldn't cover was maybe the best thing for women's football in Newport would be that the County set up a women's football team. The elephant being that it might devastate Newport City women's setup.

As I remember there once was a woman’s team under the County banner and the fact it is no longer around should tell us something. The amateur game has moved on and since the Premier Clubs got involved the expectation on pay has increased.
Right now forming a woman’s side would be a distraction as all our money should be aimed at securing a competitive budget for GC, along with improving and securing our tenure at RP.

Further, where would they play their games? Spytty seems to be heavily booked and match fees would preclude RP, in addition the pitch is already getting over used.
I think firstly that it would require an 'in principle' decision from the AFC and Trust and then a consideration of the details. So, for example, consideration of a ground. So, for me there is no necessary requirement that the team plays in Newport - it could for example play in Pontypool. My suspicion is that the players that such a team would attract would have very realistic ambitions as to pay. However, what has changed since the County last had a team is the recent impact and exposure of the England team. Since their relative success, I believe participation in women's football has doubled.

DT1892 wrote: February 8th, 2024, 8:39 pm

1) Form a ladies team.
What bandwagon? I doubt there are many eyes on the division that we'd have to enter into. I think that the only professional club in Wales not to have a women's side to commit to putting out a side would be a positive step forward, particularly for the women and girls who support the club anyway. I'm sure they'd love the chance to represent the County.

Regardless, I can't imagine that it's among the top priorities for the club at the moment, which is a shame.
I don’t see it as a 'shame' 'County are not prioritizing this at all - we're a [men's] professional football club – there are plenty of women’s teams in the area to play for whether independent or attached to [other] men’s clubs.

We'd only be doing it because everyone else is and we risk looking like we’re on the 'wrong side of history' or bad PR if we don’t have a women’s team, we’d add nothing to the women’s football landscape or pathway as there are already plenty of far better routes for talented players and we wouldn’t have any success on the pitch either as we wouldn’t be able to commit funds to it - a waste of everyone’s time and patronizing and insulting to the women and girls who play the game.

CathedralCounty wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:42 am

1) Form a ladies team.

I don’t see it as a 'shame' 'County are not prioritizing this at all - we're a [men's] professional football club – there are plenty of women’s teams in the area to play for whether independent or attached to [other] men’s clubs.

We'd only be doing it because everyone else is and we risk looking like we’re on the 'wrong side of history' or bad PR if we don’t have a women’s team, we’d add nothing to the women’s football landscape or pathway as there are already plenty of far better routes for talented players and we wouldn’t have any success on the pitch either as we wouldn’t be able to commit funds to it - a waste of everyone’s time and patronizing and insulting to the women and girls who play the game.
Thanks for that, Joey.

As a father to a 7-year old daughter who tells me she "wants to play for Newport, like her brother does" I can assure you there are more reasons to do it, than not. It's about including everyone, you'd enhance the fan base and the reputation of the club in the process. If it costs us ten grand a year (for example) what's the harm?

rncfc wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:03 am
CathedralCounty wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:42 am

1) Form a ladies team.

Thanks for that, Joey.

As a father to a 7-year old daughter who tells me she "wants to play for Newport, like her brother does" I can assure you there are more reasons to do it, than not. It's about including everyone, you'd enhance the fan base and the reputation of the club in the process. If it costs us ten grand a year (for example) what's the harm?
So much of what is being talked about on this thread is already happening.

The Newport County AFC Girls Centre has been in existence since 2021, one of eight areas in Wales delivering the FAW Trust Girls Development Centres programmes.
It caters for the U10, U12, U14 and U16 age groups. There were trials last June for this season, according to the County Academy social media pages.

As I posted a few days ago, Cardiff City Ladies are now playing their home matches at Spytty and the team will be renamed Gwalia United next season apparently. They've got new owners whose ambition is to be the first Welsh team in the WSL. I've popped down to a couple of their games (Sundays usually) and, while the standard isn't the greatest, it's an enjoyable watch.

With Newport City also doing what they're doing, there's lots of opportunities for girls and women to play the game in Newport.