Re: Rodney Parade

rncfc wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:03 am
CathedralCounty wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:42 am
DT1892 wrote: February 8th, 2024, 8:39 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: February 8th, 2024, 10:58 am
DT1892 wrote: February 7th, 2024, 7:23 pm
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: February 7th, 2024, 11:48 am
rncfc wrote: February 7th, 2024, 9:41 am I wonder what funding is available within the women's game at the minute? With all the cash flying around from somewhere, there would surely be a way to tick a few boxes here:

1) Form a ladies team.
2) Direct any subsidies towards RP Ltd.
3) Use this to reduce our own rent.
4) Be seen to be doing the right things in the process.
I can tell you from Yeovil’s experience that running a semi professional woman’s team is an absolute money pit
Depends on where they're playing. We'd likely be in the Welsh system, with the second-tier hosting teams like Caldicot Town and Cwmbran Celtic, who aren't semi-professional. If they can maintain their own women's side, then surely we'd be able to do the same?
Those women's teams are very much amateur and player funded they'd pay 'subs' to play - not to get into the whole debate around women's football but its not a good option for 'County at this moment - there are more than enough pathways for aspiring women and girls we'd be adding nothing to the landscape and it'd look disingenuous bandwagon jumping.
What bandwagon? I doubt there are many eyes on the division that we'd have to enter into. I think that the only professional club in Wales not to have a women's side to commit to putting out a side would be a positive step forward, particularly for the women and girls who support the club anyway. I'm sure they'd love the chance to represent the County.

Regardless, I can't imagine that it's among the top priorities for the club at the moment, which is a shame.
I don’t see it as a 'shame' 'County are not prioritizing this at all - we're a [men's] professional football club – there are plenty of women’s teams in the area to play for whether independent or attached to [other] men’s clubs.

We'd only be doing it because everyone else is and we risk looking like we’re on the 'wrong side of history' or bad PR if we don’t have a women’s team, we’d add nothing to the women’s football landscape or pathway as there are already plenty of far better routes for talented players and we wouldn’t have any success on the pitch either as we wouldn’t be able to commit funds to it - a waste of everyone’s time and patronizing and insulting to the women and girls who play the game.
Thanks for that, Joey.

As a father to a 7-year old daughter who tells me she "wants to play for Newport, like her brother does" I can assure you there are more reasons to do it, than not. It's about including everyone, you'd enhance the fan base and the reputation of the club in the process. If it costs us ten grand a year (for example) what's the harm?
She can play for Newport though, Newport City Ladies if she makes the grade..........

She can also play for the Newport County age group teams, which clearly contain girls, as they have mini matches at RP at half time. That's hundreds of kids wearing the Newport County shirt with pride every week. It's not only hugely successful, but the likely hood of that pride in the shirt, outshining the pride of wearing a Man Utd, shirt, because YOU actually played for Newport County, is everything.

County had numerous players against MU who were boyhood fans of MU. How many players did we put out on the pitch that were boyhood fans of Newport County?

Let's celebrate what we as a club are good at, not chuck time, money, and resources at something someone else is good at.

The trust has to find a way of trusting HJ, not trying to drive from the backseat. He has all the figures, all the knowledge, all the experience. That's the god given gift we have been provided with as a club. Let's use that to our advantage not pretend the trust should be replicating things that other people are providing.

Bangitintrnet wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:26 am
rncfc wrote: February 7th, 2024, 9:41 am I wonder what funding is available within the women's game at the minute? With all the cash flying around from somewhere, there would surely be a way to tick a few boxes here:

1) Form a ladies team.
I can tell you from Yeovil’s experience that running a semi professional woman’s team is an absolute money pit
Depends on where they're playing. We'd likely be in the Welsh system, with the second-tier hosting teams like Caldicot Town and Cwmbran Celtic, who aren't semi-professional. If they can maintain their own women's side, then surely we'd be able to do the same?
Those women's teams are very much amateur and player funded they'd pay 'subs' to play - not to get into the whole debate around women's football but its not a good option for 'County at this moment - there are more than enough pathways for aspiring women and girls we'd be adding nothing to the landscape and it'd look disingenuous bandwagon jumping.
What bandwagon? I doubt there are many eyes on the division that we'd have to enter into. I think that the only professional club in Wales not to have a women's side to commit to putting out a side would be a positive step forward, particularly for the women and girls who support the club anyway. I'm sure they'd love the chance to represent the County.

Regardless, I can't imagine that it's among the top priorities for the club at the moment, which is a shame.
I don’t see it as a 'shame' 'County are not prioritizing this at all - we're a [men's] professional football club – there are plenty of women’s teams in the area to play for whether independent or attached to [other] men’s clubs.

We'd only be doing it because everyone else is and we risk looking like we’re on the 'wrong side of history' or bad PR if we don’t have a women’s team, we’d add nothing to the women’s football landscape or pathway as there are already plenty of far better routes for talented players and we wouldn’t have any success on the pitch either as we wouldn’t be able to commit funds to it - a waste of everyone’s time and patronizing and insulting to the women and girls who play the game.
Thanks for that, Joey.

As a father to a 7-year old daughter who tells me she "wants to play for Newport, like her brother does" I can assure you there are more reasons to do it, than not. It's about including everyone, you'd enhance the fan base and the reputation of the club in the process. If it costs us ten grand a year (for example) what's the harm?
She can play for Newport though, Newport City Ladies if she makes the grade..........

She can also play for the Newport County age group teams, which clearly contain girls, as they have mini matches at RP at half time. That's hundreds of kids wearing the Newport County shirt with pride every week. It's not only hugely successful, but the likely hood of that pride in the shirt, outshining the pride of wearing a Man Utd, shirt, because YOU actually played for Newport County, is everything.

County had numerous players against MU who were boyhood fans of MU. How many players did we put out on the pitch that were boyhood fans of Newport County?

Let's celebrate what we as a club are good at, not chuck time, money, and resources at something someone else is good at.

The trust has to find a way of trusting HJ, not trying to drive from the backseat. He has all the figures, all the knowledge, all the experience. That's the god given gift we have been provided with as a club. Let's use that to our advantage not pretend the trust should be replicating things that other people are providing.
Let's celebrate what we as a club are good at, not chuck time, money, and resources at something someone else is good at. Excellent point and essentially what I was trying to say - its not about 'denying' a girl any 'opportunity' nor being anti women's football - its about, as you and I have said - focusing on being a better men's team and allowing the pioneers/existing pathways to flourish.

The assumption nowadays seems to be that girls and women playing football must inevitably have, as an end product, a team being paid to play. Do all the young lads playing in local leagues expect to earn a living from the game? Of course not. Are we as a club denying girls the opportunity to play football? We aren't. If girls in the Newport area can play the game, what's in a name, if that's Newport City Ladies, then so be it

excessbee wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:47 am The assumption nowadays seems to be that girls and women playing football must inevitably have, as an end product, a team being paid to play. Do all the young lads playing in local leagues expect to earn a living from the game? Of course not. Are we as a club denying girls the opportunity to play football? We aren't. If girls in the Newport area can play the game, what's in a name, if that's Newport City Ladies, then so be it
Very interesting point - I think this is where *some* groups/people (usually those outside football) have piggybacked the 'women's game' as a tool/lightning rod to campaign for 'equality' and the nebulous concept of 'equal pay' - and focus on the elite level as opposed to football just being fun and a laugh for everyone - 99.999999% of the 9 year olds playing on a Sunday won't go on to earn a living from football as a player.

Equally (and gender identity debates aside) we need to admit that men and women are different - women and girls just are not as keen on playing football as men and boys so outcomes will never be 'equal' as while opportunity is [almost] equal its simply that *most* girls just prefer to play with dolls indoors than go out in the cold and wet on a Sunday morning to play football (a wise choice perhaps?!) those girls who do want to play should be supported in the same way as boys but we don't 'have' to have equal numbers playing and we can't force girls to want to play football when in reality most simply don't.

Jonesy3 wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:17 am

1) Form a ladies team.

Thanks for that, Joey.

So much of what is being talked about on this thread is already happening.

The Newport County AFC Girls Centre has been in existence since 2021, one of eight areas in Wales delivering the FAW Trust Girls Development Centres programmes.
It caters for the U10, U12, U14 and U16 age groups. There were trials last June for this season, according to the County Academy social media pages.

As I posted a few days ago, Cardiff City Ladies are now playing their home matches at Spytty and the team will be renamed Gwalia United next season apparently. They've got new owners whose ambition is to be the first Welsh team in the WSL. I've popped down to a couple of their games (Sundays usually) and, while the standard isn't the greatest, it's an enjoyable watch.

With Newport City also doing what they're doing, there's lots of opportunities for girls and women to play the game in Newport.
What happens to them after that?

I ask because some years ago I refereed a local girls team in Sheffield from U10 through the seasons to U16. Once they had finished their U16 season the team had to split up, those that were good enough joining the Women's team at the oldest football club in the world and others drifting off elsewhere or out of the game. I don't know if things have changed here in the meantime but like many other sports there seemed to be a lack of teams above school age where young women could continue to play organised team sports.

Amberexile wrote: February 9th, 2024, 12:52 pm

1) Form a ladies team.

Thanks for that, Joey.

The Newport County AFC Girls Centre has been in existence since 2021, one of eight areas in Wales delivering the FAW Trust Girls Development Centres programmes.
It caters for the U10, U12, U14 and U16 age groups. There were trials last June for this season, according to the County Academy social media pages.

As I posted a few days ago, Cardiff City Ladies are now playing their home matches at Spytty and the team will be renamed Gwalia United next season apparently. They've got new owners whose ambition is to be the first Welsh team in the WSL. I've popped down to a couple of their games (Sundays usually) and, while the standard isn't the greatest, it's an enjoyable watch.

With Newport City also doing what they're doing, there's lots of opportunities for girls and women to play the game in Newport.

I ask because some years ago I refereed a local girls team in Sheffield from U10 through the seasons to U16. Once they had finished their U16 season the team had to split up, those that were good enough joining the Women's team at the oldest football club in the world and others drifting off elsewhere or out of the game. I don't know if things have changed here in the meantime but like many other sports there seemed to be a lack of teams above school age where young women could continue to play organised team sports.
In England certainly there are far more opportunities now than ever https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-68239308, but the answer as was the case in the pioneering age of men's football they can always start their own team unless you think women are incapable of doing that?

I don't see the clamor nor political pressure on [traditionally female] synchronized swimming or netball clubs to include men why should men's football clubs do the same for women & girls? the men's game (and therefore all of us) already subsidizes women's football to the tune of millions if they want more clubs they can start their own!

Women are grown ups, have agency and are more than capable of organizing things without the help of men (*some* including Mrs Cathedral would say they are better at it).

CathedralCounty wrote: February 9th, 2024, 12:16 pm
excessbee wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:47 am The assumption nowadays seems to be that girls and women playing football must inevitably have, as an end product, a team being paid to play. Do all the young lads playing in local leagues expect to earn a living from the game? Of course not. Are we as a club denying girls the opportunity to play football? We aren't. If girls in the Newport area can play the game, what's in a name, if that's Newport City Ladies, then so be it
Very interesting point - I think this is where *some* groups/people (usually those outside football) have piggybacked the 'women's game' as a tool/lightning rod to campaign for 'equality' and the nebulous concept of 'equal pay' - and focus on the elite level as opposed to football just being fun and a laugh for everyone - 99.999999% of the 9 year olds playing on a Sunday won't go on to earn a living from football as a player.

Equally (and gender identity debates aside) we need to admit that men and women are different - women and girls just are not as keen on playing football as men and boys so outcomes will never be 'equal' as while opportunity is [almost] equal its simply that *most* girls just prefer to play with dolls indoors than go out in the cold and wet on a Sunday morning to play football (a wise choice perhaps?!) those girls who do want to play should be supported in the same way as boys but we don't 'have' to have equal numbers playing and we can't force girls to want to play football when in reality most simply don't.
“ prefer to play with dolls “ ???
Says the football supporter from the 19th century 😂😂😂

lowandhard wrote: February 9th, 2024, 2:10 pm

Easy target to paint me as a dinosaur and of course its 'wrong think' as the truth often is (I'm checking myself into the re education camp this evening comrade) but *most* girls do!

I'm not a parent to a girl but have nieces and goddaughters all do/did prefer(ed) to [say] play with dolls/nurture pets, etc than kick a football - you know, I know, everyone knows that just 'is what it is' there are outliers who are sporty girls but girls are just *in general* less inclined whether by biological predisposition or nurture or a bit of both - to want to play sports whereas boys, even those with a complete inability to do so (boyhood me for example), tend to be far more inclined to get out and play sports or be rambunctious outdoors.

CathedralCounty wrote: February 9th, 2024, 1:44 pm

1) Form a ladies team.

Thanks for that, Joey.

In England certainly there are far more opportunities now than ever https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-68239308, but the answer as was the case in the pioneering age of men's football they can always start their own team unless you think women are incapable of doing that?

I don't see the clamor nor political pressure on [traditionally female] synchronized swimming or netball clubs to include men why should men's football clubs do the same for women & girls? the men's game (and therefore all of us) already subsidizes women's football to the tune of millions if they want more clubs they can start their own!

Women are grown ups, have agency and are more than capable of organizing things without the help of men (*some* including Mrs Cathedral would say they are better at it).

There are lots of men’s and mixed netball teams

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂😂😂 … all four of my daughters played with dolls when they were younger, that said, my son played with his wrestling figures and toy soldiers too, all played football too.

Exile 1976 wrote: February 9th, 2024, 2:40 pm

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂😂😂 … all four of my daughters played with dolls when they were younger, that said, my son played with his wrestling figures and toy soldiers too, all played football too.
Well indeed its not mutually exclusive and nor did I say it was ALL girls/boys as many girls do of course play sports - far more eminent people than me have done studies on it and concluded girls are less inclined towards sports [than boys] - likely a combination of nature and nurture and possibly points to girls being more intelligent (at a younger age) than boys, after all what sensible person wants to run around in mud on a freezing cold day?

The narrative is girls miss out on 'all the fun' not playing/watching football when in fact it might be the boys who are being shunted out of the house in all weathers to run off the energy who are getting the raw deal?

Exile 1976 wrote: February 9th, 2024, 2:37 pm

Thanks for that, Joey.

Possibly but no clamor that men 'must' be given professional netball contracts (there may be some pro male netballers in the Antipodes not sure) nor that the major national/international netball competitions 'must' have men's teams or an equivalent men's competition of a similar standing (and heavily subsidized too) like there is a de facto requirement for traditionally male sports to have - also its only really since 2022 that men have been able to compete to an elite level in synchronized swimming for example.

I don't think it's some great conspiracy to bar men from certain sports but it IS a double standard.

*For clarity I'm not bringing in arguments around gender identity into this as that is only a more recent and whole other debate - albeit for the record I believe that on the grounds of fairness a biological male should not be competing in girls/women's sports post an agreed cut off age (which I think is around 12 in most sports).

CathedralCounty wrote: February 9th, 2024, 3:04 pm

Thanks for that, Joey.

Possibly but no clamor that men 'must' be given professional netball contracts (there may be some pro male netballers in the Antipodes not sure) nor that the major national/international netball competitions 'must' have men's teams or an equivalent men's competition of a similar standing (and heavily subsidized too) like there is a de facto requirement for traditionally male sports to have - also its only really since 2022 that men have been able to compete to an elite level in synchronized swimming for example.

I don't think it's some great conspiracy to bar men from certain sports but it IS a double standard.

*For clarity I'm not bringing in arguments around gender identity into this as that is only a more recent and whole other debate - albeit for the record I believe that on the grounds of fairness a biological male should not be competing in girls/women's sports post an agreed cut off age (which I think is around 12 in most sports).

If loads of men wanted netball contracts or to be synchronised swimmers and there were barriers to them doing so, you can guarantee that there would indeed be a clamour for them to be given it.

1) Form a ladies team.

Thanks for that, Joey.

That's good to read. At the time, it would have been easy to start their own club the problem was that there was no space in the established leagues for then to be able to play competitively. Reading that article I would assume that the women's game has gone in the opposite direction to the men's at grass roots level with more divisions and leagues being formed.

Exile 1976 wrote: February 9th, 2024, 3:43 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: February 9th, 2024, 3:04 pm

Thanks for that, Joey.

If loads of men wanted netball contracts or to be synchronised swimmers and there were barriers to them doing so, you can guarantee that there would indeed be a clamour for them to be given it.
Agree lots of men don’t want to but they were/are still de facto prevented from doing so and there is no fuss (although there was a court case about sync swimming a while back I think) so my point still stands.

'Gamma bias' might in part explain some of this – we’re all conditioned to value women more [than men] and be far more sympathetic to women and girls who are victims of real or perceived 'unfairness' than when men are on the receiving end – so is it a huge deal that men aren’t professional netballers? – no but then is it really a huge deal that women are not at the top table of many [traditionally male sports] well not really either but it is made a big deal because the ‘victims’ are women/girls (‘victims’ of not earning eye watering millions like men do).

https://www.centreformalepsychology.com ... %20matrix.