Re: Realistic prospects for the season.

Kevinmoorefellover wrote: February 19th, 2024, 1:17 pm What has been achieved this season is remarkable considering the position we found ourselves in. However, this time around, I don’t think we have the strength in depth to make it to the playoffs.
See above.

We've got a first XI that's as good as any recent County side when they're all fit, and up to 4 passable replacements, but that's not enough to sustain a challenge as in games of fine margins you're handicapping yourselves immediately. Top half would be excellent, top 7 absolutely incredible. Anything above 18th with the budget we had, and the manager has done a really good job.

Don't think we are equipped to go up on and off the field. Let's get infrastructure right and build a good sqaud in the summer and see where this takes us ,we will need to adjust the sqaud accordingly that's if we stayed in league 2 .definitely need creatively in the middle defence will need addressing and probably a new front line seb omar zanzala will need replacing maybe evans ? Be a massive turnover if somehow did manage to go up

owlsabout wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 5:00 pm Don't think we are equipped to go up on and off the field. Let's get infrastructure right and build a good sqaud in the summer and see where this takes us ,we will need to adjust the sqaud accordingly that's if we stayed in league 2 .definitely need creatively in the middle defence will need addressing and probably a new front line seb omar zanzala will need replacing maybe evans ? Be a massive turnover if somehow did manage to go up
Given the title of this thread is 'realistic', would boadly agree with your assessment, but would be even more cautious, and say the turnover of squad will take another 2 seasons before we might be equipped on and off the field to make a realistic attempt at promotion, and staying up. Sure HJ'S plans are more evolutionary than revolutionary. If we somehow managed to gain promotion before he is able increase turnover sufficiently, he would have a massive decision to make with regards ploughing his/others money in to increase the budget to a League 1 level, or accept almost certain relegation back to League 2.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 24th, 2024, 10:50 am I disagree with the three posts above. My view is that if we were to get promoted we should simply adjust to being a League 1 side as best we can. I do see the argument but there are no guarantees in life.
On a related point, I still think it unlikely we will go up this season but at 250/1 UTP has what I believe professional gamblers call a value bet.
I think the way County adjusted to the injury crisis earlier in the season suggests that a squad with a similar 'can do' attitude could manage to stay above the League 1 relegation zone should this current squad achieve the unlikely this season.

But I've said for a week or so that Feb/March is tough and that it's a case of seeing where the team stand at the end of March. I said earlier in the thread I suspect County will still be in with a shout at that time and then end up losing to the sides towards the bottom of the league to scupper their chance.

But it gives some later season excitement and hopefully that will put more money in the coffers to build a stronger squad for next season.

Several people are saying County should look to build a promotion squad in the summer and give up on this season. I don't think that next season's squad will be necessarily better than this season's. Even given that we will look more attractive because of the new ownership.
I think that Evans is a player in a decade and if we lose him he will be unreplaceable. Also our captain is out of contract and could well get better offers given his playing record this season. SPH may not be replaceable with a similar quality no.9.

I believe that football at our level is a lot about exploiting your opportunities when they arise, even unexpected ones like this season and we should press on as the club is trying to do. Too much thinking doesn't pay.

Forget this nonsense of play-offs, and GCs ego for 50 points, we are nowhere near good enough for League 1, but will not be relegated. Time to take stock not rush into signing contracts with current players except those who could perform at league 1 level. Have a look at youngsters, Bright for example give him a few games to see if he could develop in to good defender. The loanees will go back to there parent clubs, the two out of contract are no better that what we have already. I think at least four senior players may be shown the door, Waite, Zanzala, Drysdale, and Maxted, plus those sent out on loan eg Rai, and some yougsters deemed suitable for development. Recruitment needs to be of players who can help develop the side and sustain promotion bid and perform at a higher level. Build for the future, we have and owner who has done this before we should listen to him.