Re: Bogle racism

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 8th, 2024, 7:41 pm
Chris Davis wrote: March 8th, 2024, 7:05 pm I've just googled "Is there a problem with racism in English football?" All the first six or so results indicated that there was a widespread and endemic problem.
Really, that would have included this from the open university suggesting 3.5 % of tweets could be considered a problem......

Racism in Football: The Rise of Social Media Abuse https://www.open.ac.uk/blogs/OU-Sport/?p=2862
Hardly “endemic” then? Some people on here would rather trade in hyperbole and insults.

Exile 1976 wrote: March 8th, 2024, 7:06 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: March 8th, 2024, 5:58 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: March 8th, 2024, 5:12 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: March 8th, 2024, 3:55 pm
wattsville_boy wrote: March 8th, 2024, 3:01 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: March 7th, 2024, 3:21 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: March 7th, 2024, 1:47 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: March 7th, 2024, 7:51 am
Exile 1976 wrote: March 7th, 2024, 7:31 am
CathedralCounty wrote: March 7th, 2024, 7:28 am

Agreed that IS unambiguous if proven although I know from an incident [non incident] I witnessed someone misheard 'fat' for 'black' - almost amusing but did cause some embarrassment to both parties (neither of which were me).

It was bloody proven, they were fined for it. Jeeeeez
man.
I'm not arguing on an individual case frankly I don't care enough about silly chants at league 2 stadiums enough to do my research and online I routinely caveat my posts with 'alleged' or 'if proven' partly to cover myself partly to respect any parties involved.

I'm saying in the general football does not have a racism problem (as a football fan I find it an insult when people say or imply it does) and that any 'punishments' for alleged/probable/actual racism is disproportionate to the offence and context of the offence and the impact of that offence (more so than it would be in any other setting) - the reason we hear all about these [rare] incidents is because they are...rare - there is racism in football but football is not racist (not saying you were saying that but that as an issue racism should probably be about 27th on the list of priorities for football - partly as we are in 2024 not 1974 and society has moved on).

I’m sure that for the black players that suffer racist chanting and online racist abuse that it certainly isn’t ’about 27th on the list of priorities for football’ which, quite frankly, is a ******* ridiculous thing to write.
In football as in life everyone has their own individual issues that will always be impactful for them at the time, but racism is not a big issue in UK football so we should not give it disproportionate attention - when it [unambiguous racism] happens I’ve no doubt it can be hurtful* but it doesn’t happen very often. In fact I'm sure the majority of ethnic minority players are far more concerned about many other things (contract length, injuries, new managers coming in, risk of dementia from heading the ball, job and earnings potential post football career, etc) than whether they will/have been racially abused – I also believe that ethnic minority players have the resilience to move on pretty quickly on the [rare] occasions one of them suffers racial abuse.

Online abuse is a whole different ball game and with bots and AI, etc it often doesn't even stem from the UK or even real people let alone a football fan - it happens to people from every race/age/gender/backgrounds so its not a football issue as much as it is an online abuse issue.

*although from direct experience of relatives most people shrug it off as being an isolated ignorant comment and move on – whenever it has happened to mrs cathedral for example her attitude is just ‘meh’ and she goes about her day (often finding it funny) everyone is different of course and perhaps professional footballers are particularly fragile?
My guess that as a white, middle aged, heterosexual male you are an authority on all the 'isms' that society breeds through ignorance and intolerance.

Sometimes it's better not to pontificate on stuff you have no perception of, and just accept that we all could probably do better than we currently do...
I feel a lot of 'white, middle aged, [people]' overthink or overstate the level and impact of racism (and by extension in football) in the UK - rather than listening to what actual real life ethnic minority people have to say on the matter.

I've got a lot of immediate experience via a very mixed family so have, dare I say it, far more 'authority' and a great deal of perception around this or certainly more than many - the ethnic minority/ethnic minority origin/mixed race people around me (for it is the 'race' ism we were talking about here) don’t see racism as being an issue in the UK - not an existential or fundamental one anyway - their concerns are the same as white people – paying their bills, job security, health, the state of the UK, trains being late all the time, useless politicians, potholes, etc.

Also from observations of the world around me and listening to podcasts, interviews and talking to the [albeit relatively few] pro and semi pro black footballers I know - they don't talk about racism rather the issues I listed in previous post (i.e., those that concern white footballers too) - the last young black player I spoke to was more worried about scrabbling around for a contract having been let down by a dodgy agent.

That’s my and those around me(‘s) ‘lived experience’ – won’t be the same for everyone of course.
I’m sorry, but that post has an enormous whiff of bullshit about it. You’ve no experience of seeing, hearing or reading racism and every single ethnic minority person you’ve ever had dealings with have no concerns about racism in the UK whatsoever. 🤦‍♂️😂
That’s not what I said at all although I admire your brass neck for writing it…I’ll be charitable and put your bizarre summary of my posts down to appalling reading comprehension rather than a deliberate attempt to misrepresent me.

No, don’t be charitable, I couldn’t give a **** about what you think/say about me, and I certainly don’t believe I have misrepresented you.
You come across as a complete and utter bell end and that’s that, muc.
I don’t think/say much about you at all but tend to err on being charitable about a persons character and intent as I would hope others would towards me (you seem to have a different somewhat more judgemental approach) I certainly wouldn’t stoop to childish ad hominem abuse simply because I was unable to make an argument in a calm and measured way, if insulting someone online is how you get your kicks then it’s rather sad but hey ho we all need an outlet just rather a shame we can’t have a reasoned discussion based on dispassionate appraisal of anecdotal evidence, personal experience and fact.

The irony being that for someone who seems particularly exorcised with in stadia/online abuse you’re rather quick to resort to…online abuse.

wattsville_boy wrote: March 8th, 2024, 6:04 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: March 7th, 2024, 7:28 am
Exile 1976 wrote: March 6th, 2024, 10:38 pm

Players and officials heard the ‘you black b’stard’ chants from their fans….. I’d say that constitutes an ‘ist’ chant, wouldn’t you?
Agreed that IS unambiguous if proven although I know from an incident [non incident] I witnessed someone misheard 'fat' for 'black' - almost amusing but did cause some embarrassment to both parties (neither of which were me).

man.
I'm not arguing on an individual case frankly I don't care enough about silly chants at league 2 stadiums enough to do my research and online I routinely caveat my posts with 'alleged' or 'if proven' partly to cover myself partly to respect any parties involved.

I'm saying in the general football does not have a racism problem (as a football fan I find it an insult when people say or imply it does) and that any 'punishments' for alleged/probable/actual racism is disproportionate to the offence and context of the offence and the impact of that offence (more so than it would be in any other setting) - the reason we hear all about these [rare] incidents is because they are...rare - there is racism in football but football is not racist (not saying you were saying that but that as an issue racism should probably be about 27th on the list of priorities for football - partly as we are in 2024 not 1974 and society has moved on).

I’m sure that for the black players that suffer racist chanting and online racist abuse that it certainly isn’t ’about 27th on the list of priorities for football’ which, quite frankly, is a ******* ridiculous thing to write.
In football as in life everyone has their own individual issues that will always be impactful for them at the time, but racism is not a big issue in UK football so we should not give it disproportionate attention - when it [unambiguous racism] happens I’ve no doubt it can be hurtful* but it doesn’t happen very often. In fact I'm sure the majority of ethnic minority players are far more concerned about many other things (contract length, injuries, new managers coming in, risk of dementia from heading the ball, job and earnings potential post football career, etc) than whether they will/have been racially abused – I also believe that ethnic minority players have the resilience to move on pretty quickly on the [rare] occasions one of them suffers racial abuse.

Online abuse is a whole different ball game and with bots and AI, etc it often doesn't even stem from the UK or even real people let alone a football fan - it happens to people from every race/age/gender/backgrounds so its not a football issue as much as it is an online abuse issue.

*although from direct experience of relatives most people shrug it off as being an isolated ignorant comment and move on – whenever it has happened to mrs cathedral for example her attitude is just ‘meh’ and she goes about her day (often finding it funny) everyone is different of course and perhaps professional footballers are particularly fragile?
My guess that as a white, middle aged, heterosexual male you are an authority on all the 'isms' that society breeds through ignorance and intolerance.

Sometimes it's better not to pontificate on stuff you have no perception of, and just accept that we all could probably do better than we currently do...
I feel a lot of 'white, middle aged, [people]' overthink or overstate the level and impact of racism (and by extension in football) in the UK - rather than listening to what actual real life ethnic minority people have to say on the matter.

I've got a lot of immediate experience via a very mixed family so have, dare I say it, far more 'authority' and a great deal of perception around this or certainly more than many - the ethnic minority/ethnic minority origin/mixed race people around me (for it is the 'race' ism we were talking about here) don’t see racism as being an issue in the UK - not an existential or fundamental one anyway - their concerns are the same as white people – paying their bills, job security, health, the state of the UK, trains being late all the time, useless politicians, potholes, etc.

Also from observations of the world around me and listening to podcasts, interviews and talking to the [albeit relatively few] pro and semi pro black footballers I know - they don't talk about racism rather the issues I listed in previous post (i.e., those that concern white footballers too) - the last young black player I spoke to was more worried about scrabbling around for a contract having been let down by a dodgy agent.

That’s my and those around me(‘s) ‘lived experience’ – won’t be the same for everyone of course.
I’m sorry, but that post has an enormous whiff of bullshit about it. You’ve no experience of seeing, hearing or reading racism and every single ethnic minority person you’ve ever had dealings with have no concerns about racism in the UK whatsoever. 🤦‍♂️😂
If you believe what he posts then the 'ethnic minorities' are making a fuss about nothing and women probably are overplaying a 'spat' when being beaten by their thuggish spouse/husband. I daren't enquire about his views on homosexuals or trans people. Talk about being a neandathal...
Quite how you’ve inferred all that from my posts I’m intrigued…you were being deliberately facetious but I’ll bite anyway;

On racism my view based on personal experience, anecdotal evidence and fact is that racism exists in the UK but that the UK is not intrinsically racist (and is far less racist than most other countries), on domestic abuse it’s about a 60/40 split of female to male victims so wouldn’t gender it but don’t have any particular view other than it is of course wrong to abuse an intimate partner and justice should be fair for the alleged victims and perpetrators alike, on gay people it’s up to adults to decide who they want to live/love/laugh with (I’m indifferent tbh as I’ve only lived in a world where homosexuality was socially acceptable and legal), on trans issues I believe there are a tiny minority of people with genuine gender dysphoria and a slightly bigger minority with a more socially contagious form of it and that it is a very complex issue which is being made worse by the cancellation of anyone who wants to raise genuine concerns around the welfare of, in particular, vulnerable young people and that we should respect but not necessarily indulge the trans movement (and take great care when the rights of biological females might be impacted).

If those views make me a so and so/Neanderthal or whatever other epithet you or others choose to label me then so be it but I believe they are reasonable, respectful and measured.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 8th, 2024, 9:38 pm

man.

That’s not what I said at all although I admire your brass neck for writing it…I’ll be charitable and put your bizarre summary of my posts down to appalling reading comprehension rather than a deliberate attempt to misrepresent me.

No, don’t be charitable, I couldn’t give a **** about what you think/say about me, and I certainly don’t believe I have misrepresented you.
I don’t think/say much about you at all but tend to err on being charitable about a persons character and intent as I would hope others would towards me (you seem to have a different somewhat more judgemental approach) I certainly wouldn’t stoop to childish ad hominem abuse simply because I was unable to make an argument in a calm and measured way, if insulting someone online is how you get your kicks then it’s rather sad but hey ho we all need an outlet just rather a shame we can’t have a reasoned discussion based on dispassionate appraisal of anecdotal evidence, personal experience and fact.

The irony being that for someone who seems particularly exorcised with in stadia/online abuse you’re rather quick to resort to…online abuse.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, you come across as a right wrong ‘un. I will always call that out.

Exile 1976 wrote: March 9th, 2024, 7:08 am

Said it before and I’ll say it again, you come across as a right wrong ‘un. I will always call that out.
I’m giving far too much credence to someone who posts insults in response to reasonable views (albeit on previous occasions views I have clumsily expressed) and admittedly taking myself slightly too seriously as well, but why am I a “wrong un” for holding and expressing mainstream views? I think it’s a sad I indictment on discourse that you hold that belief and the use of “call out” by you belies a certain mindset of a crusader (and sad to say I don’t think you post in jest I think you genuinely believe it which is even more alarming). Personal insults and deliberately misquoting just undermine any argument you may have had, they say “I can’t argue against that I’ll stick my fingers in my ears and call you a wally” they make you look a bit silly and a lot like the online abusers you are decrying. By all means disagree but please don’t disrespect.

I know you want to be seen to be on the “right side of history” but honestly the majority of people think like I do they’re just not brave/naive enough to post about it online (although I stand by all my posts as they are always calm, always measured and never resort to personal insults).

I don’t need your affirmation but I also would rather not have you defamation either however insignificant this forum may be, I’ve never, to my knowledge, defamed or insulted you or anyone else on here and if you are unable to post on here without doing so maybe don’t post.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 9th, 2024, 8:51 am

I’m giving far too much credence to someone who posts insults in response to reasonable views (albeit on previous occasions views I have clumsily expressed) and admittedly taking myself slightly too seriously as well, but why am I a “wrong un” for holding and expressing mainstream views? I think it’s a sad I indictment on discourse that you hold that belief and the use of “call out” by you belies a certain mindset of a crusader (and sad to say I don’t think you post in jest I think you genuinely believe it which is even more alarming). Personal insults and deliberately misquoting just undermine any argument you may have had, they say “I can’t argue against that I’ll stick my fingers in my ears and call you a wally” they make you look a bit silly and a lot like the online abusers you are decrying. By all means disagree but please don’t disrespect.

I know you want to be seen to be on the “right side of history” but honestly the majority of people think like I do they’re just not brave/naive enough to post about it online (although I stand by all my posts as they are always calm, always measured and never resort to personal insults).

I don’t need your affirmation but I also would rather not have you defamation either however insignificant this forum may be, I’ve never, to my knowledge, defamed or insulted you or anyone else on here and if you are unable to post on here without doing so maybe don’t post.

I’ll post if I want and when I want. Certainly won’t take advice from someone like you.

Exile 1976 wrote: March 9th, 2024, 10:24 am

I’ll post if I want and when I want. Certainly won’t take advice from someone like you.
For your own sakes maybe take a break from social media, from your tone it sounds like you’re pretty wound up and going down all sorts of rabbit holes imagining all sorts of things about people you know very little
about all via a few lines of text, step back, calm down and think.

We may not agree with one another’s views but I wouldn’t want anyone getting stressed out or making themselves ill via social media-if you can’t handle the views of others maybe a forum isn’t the best place for you right now, I wish you the best and hope whatever is making you act out in this way passes we all have our demons and issues and I get that social media is a way to vent and offload onto others it’s not a mature or positive approach but if that helps you get through whatever is troubling you then I’ll be a reluctant punch bag if I must as I don’t think you’re a bad person and happy to support a fellow county fan going through issues (you do have appalling reading comprehension and absolutely no ability to debate like a grown up but I don’t believe you’re an intrinsically bad because of those failings).

Take care and enjoy the game today however you’re following it.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 9th, 2024, 11:51 am

For your own sakes maybe take a break from social media, from your tone it sounds like you’re pretty wound up and going down all sorts of rabbit holes imagining all sorts of things about people you know very little

We may not agree with one another’s views but I wouldn’t want anyone getting stressed out or making themselves ill via social media-if you can’t handle the views of others maybe a forum isn’t the best place for you right now, I wish you the best and hope whatever is making you act out in this way passes we all have our demons and issues and I get that social media is a way to vent and offload onto others it’s not a mature or positive approach but if that helps you get through whatever is troubling you then I’ll be a reluctant punch bag if I must as I don’t think you’re a bad person and happy to support a fellow county fan going through issues (you do have appalling reading comprehension and absolutely no ability to debate like a grown up but I don’t believe you’re an intrinsically bad because of those failings).

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂😂😂😂😂 Awww bless you, that old chestnut. Trying to claim I have issues and don’t understand what you’re writing. Trying to come across as an intellectual, whereas you just come across as a bell end
Anyhoo, thanks for your concern but I am very calm, relaxed and looking forward to today’s game.

Exile 1976 wrote: March 9th, 2024, 12:40 pm

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂😂😂😂😂 Awww bless you, that old chestnut. Trying to claim I have issues and don’t understand what you’re writing. Trying to come across as an intellectual, whereas you just come across as a bell end
Anyhoo, thanks for your concern but I am very calm, relaxed and looking forward to today’s game.
Well it was one of you having a few issues and acting out online or simply being petulant/unpleasant for another/no reason by posting abuse and insults I half admire you for not hiding behind the former but it’s not a good look for a grown up to be so quick to resort to insults, misquoting and deliberate misrepresentation towards people they don’t agree with.

Once again I don’t think you’re a bad person I just think you need to take a breath before you post and re read what others have written (no shame in having poor reading comprehension but you need to take more care in your responses if you do) not least because posts can come back to haunt and some of the unambiguously abusive and often salty language you have used could be embarrassing (albeit this is an obscure forum used by about 10 people and viewed by barely a few hundred more at most) regardless even if nobody is watching ask yourself “am I just being a bit off hand here by posting this? Have I jumped to Z without considering the other person’s argument? Can I cope with/do I fully understand the views of others or do I just resort to abuse because I can’t?”.

Or perhaps just wind your neck in a bit and stop presuming you’re the judge, jury and executioner of this forum your view is no more or less valid than anyone’s and if that is hard to swallow without throwing insults then stay offline.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 9th, 2024, 1:52 pm

Well it was one of you having a few issues and acting out online or simply being petulant/unpleasant for another/no reason by posting abuse and insults I half admire you for not hiding behind the former but it’s not a good look for a grown up to be so quick to resort to insults, misquoting and deliberate misrepresentation towards people they don’t agree with.

Once again I don’t think you’re a bad person I just think you need to take a breath before you post and re read what others have written (no shame in having poor reading comprehension but you need to take more care in your responses if you do) not least because posts can come back to haunt and some of the unambiguously abusive and often salty language you have used could be embarrassing (albeit this is an obscure forum used by about 10 people and viewed by barely a few hundred more at most) regardless even if nobody is watching ask yourself “am I just being a bit off hand here by posting this? Have I jumped to Z without considering the other person’s argument? Can I cope with/do I fully understand the views of others or do I just resort to abuse because I can’t?”.

Or perhaps just wind your neck in a bit and stop presuming you’re the judge, jury and executioner of this forum your view is no more or less valid than anyone’s and if that is hard to swallow without throwing insults then stay offline.

Nah, I won’t wind my neck in son and I’ll continue to stay online and comment. Oh I understand fully what your ridiculous posts state, and being silly by writing that I don’t and ‘there’s no shame in it’ just makes you look a very foolish, pompous tool. 🤦‍♂️
If you want to cry about it or get annoyed because you think someone has misrepresented your views (which I haven’t) then feel free to ‘foe’ me and you won’t have to read my posts. 👍

Oh, and feel free to have the last word as I won’t reply as it can’t be interesting or fun for the other people on the forum 👍

Exile 1976 wrote: March 9th, 2024, 5:01 pm

Nah, I won’t wind my neck in son and I’ll continue to stay online and comment. Oh I understand fully what your ridiculous posts state, and being silly by writing that I don’t and ‘there’s no shame in it’ just makes you look a very foolish, pompous tool. 🤦‍♂️
If you want to cry about it or get annoyed because you think someone has misrepresented your views (which I haven’t) then feel free to ‘foe’ me and you won’t have to read my posts. 👍

Oh, and feel free to have the last word as I won’t reply as it can’t be interesting or fun for the other people on the forum 👍
It’s not so much wanting the last word as not to let someone behaving like an abusive bully win so to speak ironically someone who seems awfully/laughably keen to have the last word themselves.

Once again if you can’t handle that not everyone has your world view [without misquoting, misrepresenting and abusing them with personal insults] then kindly stop posting on here because we don’t want people who resort to attacking a person [rather than their arguments-tackling the man rather than ball if you will] on this forum - disagree by all means but don’t disrespect.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 9th, 2024, 5:31 pm

It’s not so much wanting the last word as not to let someone behaving like an abusive bully win so to speak ironically someone who seems awfully/laughably keen to have the last word themselves.

Once again if you can’t handle that not everyone has your world view [without misquoting, misrepresenting and abusing them with personal insults] then kindly stop posting on here because we don’t want people who resort to attacking a person [rather than their arguments-tackling the man rather than ball if you will] on this forum - disagree by all means but don’t disrespect.
My two pennies worth on this is that you come across as a wolf in sheeps clothing sometimes. You often comment on anything regarding sexism, misogyny, homophobia, racism, vile chanting, Joey Barton et al, and often you use the the subtext that football fans get a harsh deal when accused of any of the aforementioned.

It’s palpably clear why someone would wonder if there is a far right racist lurking underneath, when considering your output. Maybe thats far from the mark and unfair to you, but its how i see it.

Whether you agree with him or not, he is in my view correct in one aspect. Football supporters are judged to a higher standard than most for any wrong-doing. If a person used discriminatory language on a bus they might well be convicted of an offence but would not be barred from using public transport for five years.

SixtyYearFan wrote: March 10th, 2024, 9:56 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: March 9th, 2024, 5:31 pm

My two pennies worth on this is that you come across as a wolf in sheeps clothing sometimes. You often comment on anything regarding sexism, misogyny, homophobia, racism, vile chanting, Joey Barton et al, and often you use the the subtext that football fans get a harsh deal when accused of any of the aforementioned.

It’s palpably clear why someone would wonder if there is a far right racist lurking underneath, when considering your output. Maybe thats far from the mark and unfair to you, but its how i see it.
The one person who wants to debate how outdated prejudice related to football fans, is still being used against fans who were not born when football's problems were rife, is himself attacked.

Further up Amberexile puts question marks after his comments, obviously seeking debate, but not getting any.

Why is this forum so frightened of debate, but happy to attack? Why do people have to judge comments rather than state their own? Why does someone have to be the judge of what is right?

It doesn't encourage debate from those that don't have the typical forum view does it? So those views are continually suppressed until the poster simply gives up. Fine if all you want is attacking propaganda, rather than lively debate, but it just leads to one sided views and back slapping, which is of no interest to anyone else.